Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Antarctica > Antarctica
Reload this Page >

Ioffe expedition: Take the trip now or wait for last minute deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:05 am
Original Poster

I’m intending on going to Antartica end of the year during December and we found a deal at 7495 USD per pax (twin share room) on board a 96 pax boat - Ioffe. Price listed online is 11295 USD. It is a 10 day trip and includes camping and snowshoe in the cost.

I would like to know if it’s worth it or I should try my luck and wait for a last minute deal. Would it be any cheaper for a last minute deal?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
If memory serves the last minute deals actually in Ushuaia can have some savings but your issue is there may be no availability... If you’re going down there and wanting to go, you may need to spend more to get a guaranteed reservation.

Last minute deals may also be for longer or shorter trips. Which may or may not offer camping and other options.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jc94
If memory serves the last minute deals actually in Ushuaia can have some savings but your issue is there may be no availability... If you’re going down there and wanting to go, you may need to spend more to get a guaranteed reservation.

Last minute deals may also be for longer or shorter trips. Which may or may not offer camping and other options.
Even much more than this? It’s about 30% ish off. We aren’t too fussy about what we do there but just don’t want to get there and find out others pay significantly lesser because they waited for a deal. We understand we might be paying more but we are afraid it might be much more like a couple of thousands more.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Shulina OY
Even much more than this? It’s about 30% ish off. We aren’t too fussy about what we do there but just don’t want to get there and find out others pay significantly lesser because they waited for a deal. We understand we might be paying more but we are afraid it might be much more like a couple of thousands more.
Sorry I only got a note about the new thread, not the reply.

When I was in Ushuaia there were definitely some cheap offers, I can't remember exactly how much although under $10k USD for one of the longer trips (ie:17-19 days) rings a bell.

Fact is, you could get an amazing deal and that may be > 30% off. But only if there are spaces... If there are no spaces left or only upper decks being sold there's no guarantee they'll be any offers or any good offers. Also depends if you mean last minute as in walking to a shop and booking for a trip leaving the next day vs booking online a couple of weeks out.

I don't believe we discussed the cost of the trip with anyone else on the boat in any detail. I vaguely recall how some people were on a round the world trip and just booked it in town, and I know others did not. We did it all as a package including flights and other things too though so be hard to place the exact cost of the boat when taking into account international and domestic flights, hotels in Buenos Aires and Ushuaia and some day trips around there as well. Plus transfers and an understanding that we were paying a premium to have a company organize it all.

I've very much of the opinion that if you can find a deal that is acceptable to you book it and don't look back. I know others would don't believe in booking more than a couple of weeks out.

Also if you are looking at very close in, you will have to be flexible on dates. And if you are flying in especially internationally, a flight change cost can be costly - or booking a flight at short notice is often very expensive. Especially if you end up trying to do it around Christmas time.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I agree with all of the comments from @jc94. Yes, last minute deals are on offer in Ushuaia, but only for people who are flexible about timing as well as the exact nature of the trip. Hanging around in Ushuaia waiting for a deal is also not the cheapest activity in the world and flights to and from USH should be booked well in advance to get reasonable pricing.

If you've founded an acceptable price on a tour that suits you - book it. Pounding the pavement of the tour agency strip in Ushuaia may land you a cabin on that same trip for $1 or $2k less, but it also may not. If your heart is set on this trip, it isn't worth the risk. Last-minute deals are more for people who are not sure if they actually want to go, and are already in Ushuaia with a lot of time on their hands.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:25 pm

Good point about cost of spending time waiting too, I don’t believe it’s the cheapest place and, depending upon time of year could even struggle to find rooms if you need to extend stay.

Theres also not a great deal to do in Ushuaia.. sure there’s shops to look at, and there’s like one museum? And a few day trips but you could get bored quick. I was there late December and it was about 5-10C if memory serves too... Not exactly like further north.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jc94
Good point about cost of spending time waiting too, I don’t believe it’s the cheapest place and, depending upon time of year could even struggle to find rooms if you need to extend stay.

Theres also not a great deal to do in Ushuaia.. sure there’s shops to look at, and there’s like one museum? And a few day trips but you could get bored quick. I was there late December and it was about 5-10C if memory serves too... Not exactly like further north.
The museum (former prison) in Ushuaia is well worth a visit.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:09 pm

End of December (aka Xmas + New Years) is going to be the busiest time, so your chances of finding last minute availability/cancelations are low. I believe you generally have a better chance of finding those deals towards the end of the season (late-February/March) when less people have vacation and the weather starts getting colder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.