Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Antarctica > Antarctica
Reload this Page >

Best luxury expedition ship to Antarctica?

Best luxury expedition ship to Antarctica?

Old Aug 19, 18, 2:15 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NC
Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Posts: 9,832
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
I have not, but friends who are fans of Crystal Cruises did Hurtigruten in Antarctica and really liked it.
That's great news! I was worried that it would be super basic, almost institutional!
SkyTeam777 is online now  
Old Aug 19, 18, 2:46 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,519
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
That's great news! I was worried that it would be super basic, almost institutional!
The trick is to have reduced expectations. It won’t be like Seabourn, Silversea, or Ponant.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
747FC is offline  
Old Oct 31, 18, 7:45 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Programs: DL, MR, SPG, UR, HH, UA, LUV
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Do you recall the name of the vessel used by A&K?
A&K charters the Le Lyrial from Ponant. It's an elegant expedition vessel that's in high demand for charters. The vessel has a 260 passenger capacity, but A&K caps their sailings at 199 passengers.
LadyNOLA is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:05 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by LadyNOLA View Post
A&K charters the Le Lyrial from Ponant. It's an elegant expedition vessel that's in high demand for charters. The vessel has a 260 passenger capacity, but A&K caps their sailings at 199 passengers.
And I really like them because A&K puts their own staff of really educated and Antarctic expeieced naturalists on board.
Woofbite is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:59 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Posts: 830
Does these ships with 199 (or similar) passengers make any excursions to land on Antarctica? If so, how is that managed to comply with regulations of max 100 on shore at any one time? Do you have to wait, or somehow rotate?
FlyingHighlander is offline  
Old Jan 8, 20, 9:58 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,241
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander View Post
Does these ships with 199 (or similar) passengers make any excursions to land on Antarctica? If so, how is that managed to comply with regulations of max 100 on shore at any one time? Do you have to wait, or somehow rotate?
Passengers on larger ships like Scenic Eclipse (250 pax) Silver Cloud (200 pax) and Seabourn Quest (400 pax) are divided into groups. You remain in your group for the duration of the Antarctic and/or South Georgia section of the cruise and the groups are rotated every day. For instance, Red Group might land first on one day, third the next day, last the following days and so on. Ships with 200 pax have the potential to give everyone two landings per day as the ship relocates during lunch. Seabourn Quest stays put the entire day. Another factor is the weather - things change rapidly so while one group might go ashore the rest might not. It's all a matter of luck down there.

A smaller expedition vessel with 100 pax will give you a richer, more immersive experience while a bigger ship will give you more space, more luxury and a smoother ride in the high seas. It's all a matter of choice and compromise. Get great weather I'd choose a small ship; hit bad weather I'd go on a bigger ship. However, when you are ashore it makes no difference what ship you are on.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by Pausanias; Jan 9, 20 at 1:31 am
Pausanias is online now  
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:03 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: IAD
Programs: UA Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; Global Entry; TSA Pre✓
Posts: 830
Originally Posted by Pausanias View Post
Passengers on larger ships like Scenic Eclipse (250 pax) Silver Cloud (200 pax) and Seabourn Quest (400 pax) are divided into groups. You remain in your group for the duration of the Antarctic and/or South Georgia section of the cruise and the groups are rotated every day. For instance, Red Group might land first on one day, third the next day, last the following days and so on. Ships with 200 pax have the potential to give everyone two landings per day as the ship relocates during lunch. Seabourn Quest stays put the entire day. Another factor is the weather - things change rapidly so while one group might go ashore the rest might not. It's all a matter of luck down there.

A smaller expedition vessel with 100 pax will give you a richer, more immersive experience while a bigger ship will give you more space, more luxury and a smoother ride in the high seas. It's all a matter of choice and compromise. Get great weather I'd choose a small ship; hit bad weather I'd go on a bigger ship. However, when you are ashore it makes no difference what ship you are on.
Thanks for the insight. On my trip (which I commented on earlier in this thread) was the opposite of luxury. 54 passengers. 3 landings a day for everyone. I was a sub group of drysuit wearing snorkelers. We had a very smooth drake passage sailing. Now I say it wasn't luxury, but it was very comfortable. Certainly didnt feel like we were roughing it.
FlyingHighlander is offline  
Old Jan 12, 20, 4:55 am
  #53  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,241
Anyone wondering what a luxury cruise to Antarctica looks like should see this brilliant video shot by a passenger on board the Silversea ship Silver Explorer . . .

Pausanias is online now  
Old Jan 12, 20, 12:32 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,519
And, here is another view of what to expect in Antarctica, this time on the Seabourn Quest:

747FC is offline  
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:25 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 1,241
Of the two videos I much prefer the first one, taken by a regular passenger on the Silver Explorer. His highly personalised video really show us what it's like to ride in a zodiac and generally what it's like be on the ship. There are all sorts of details about the cabins, the outdoor decks, the food etc. The Seabourn Quest video is far more corporate and while it does have some stunning drone footage it's far too lofty to show anything of life on the ship.
Pausanias is online now  
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:43 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: Delta Gold (2020)
Posts: 2,014
The nice thing on Seabourn is that you get a flash drive with videos like that from your cruise as a departing gift ;-) We love ours from Alaska (I'm sure not ALL the footage is from our cruise, but most of it is our cruise as we recognized people)

I follow Seabourn & Azamara on social media and both have ships in Antarctica now. They've been posting beautiful photos!!!
Hoyaheel is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: