Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Antarctica > Antarctica
Reload this Page >

M/V Ortelius - March 2015

Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis

If anyone's interested in a cruise to Antarctica on a small ship (i.e., lots of landings), check out http://walkingadventures.com/adventu...015/#itinerary. If you are interested, contact me and I can get you in touch with our group leader for a group discount. There is also a discount if this is your first trip with Walking Adventures International.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
The Polish-built ex Marina Svetaeva (1A ice class and 100 passengers) should be a good ship for your trip. Bon voyage! (We'll hope for a trip report :crossed fingers
Old Mar 24, 2014, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Second best trip I've ever done. Once we got over the Drake Passage (tied ourselves into bed....crawled hands and knees to the bathroom to puke) it was a tremendous experience!!!

Stepping foot on that cold continent helped me reach a goal I had not planned: 7 continents in 7 years.
Old Mar 30, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If anyone's interested in a cruise to Antarctica on a small ship (i.e., lots of landings), check out http://walkingadventures.com/adventu...015/#itinerary. If you are interested, contact me and I can get you in touch with our group leader for a group discount. There is also a discount if this is your first trip with Walking Adventures International.
Originally Posted by kevinsac
Second best trip I've ever done. Once we got over the Drake Passage (tied ourselves into bed....crawled hands and knees to the bathroom to puke) it was a tremendous experience!!!

Stepping foot on that cold continent helped me reach a goal I had not planned: 7 continents in 7 years.
Absolutely awesomely outstanding. ^
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: SPG Plat 100, A3*G
wow... I'd do it... but 10k per person is a bit too much for me I'm afraid
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Wow, this looks great!!!
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:01 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Can we pay in ARS?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Originally Posted by kevinsac

What a great goal! Completed a personal goal of doing 7 marathons in 7 continents (and hitting worlds top 100 cities, which I'm sure many on here have done).

Travel safe!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by UrbaneGent
What a great goal! Completed a personal goal of doing 7 marathons in 7 continents (and hitting worlds top 100 cities, which I'm sure many on here have done).

Travel safe!
Impressive data. Question: Where and when have ever a marathon run been arranged in Antarctica?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by zagy
wow... I'd do it... but 10k per person is a bit too much for me I'm afraid
man i hope i can pay with miles and cash back
Old Sep 3, 2014, 6:09 am

When you go BE SURE to take lots of pictures. Gosh I am trying to save up cash and go there too! Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Few creatures can survive Antarctica's brutal climate. Life in the sea and along the coast of Antarctica and its islands, however, is often abundant. Several seabirds make the Antarctic their home, including 24 species of petrels, small seabirds that dart over the water and nest in rocks along the shore. A wide variety of animals make the surrounding waters their home, from zooplankton (small floating organisms) to seals and whales.

Of all the animals, penguins are the primary inhabitants of Antarctica. Believed to have evolved 40 to 50 million years ago, they have oily feathers that provide a waterproof coat and a thick layer of fat for insulation. Penguins' bones are solid, not hollow as are those of most flying birds. Solid bones add weight, making it easier for penguins to dive into the water for food. These bones also prevent them from flying, but because they do not have predators that can live in the brutally cold climate, they do not need to fly. Thus their wings have evolved over the centuries to resemble flippers or paddles.

Read more: http://www.scienceclarified.com/Al-A...#ixzz3CF6FztjG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.