Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Antarctica > Antarctica
Reload this Page >

Antarctic - Suggested Packing List

Old Nov 21, 2011, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G, UA*G

Looking for some thoughts on packing requirements.

I'm heading out in December with Lindblad. Below is a copy of their recommended packing list for reference.

Questions:
1. Are Goretex pants really necessary? or would ski pants which are fairly water resistant be sufficient?
2. Would small binoculars be good enough, or should I go out and find some higher quality, larger ones?
3. Is one pair of thermal underwear enough?
4. Is there anything you brought along that isn't on the list but you found very useful to have?

Any thoughts would be very welcome!
Thanks so much!

Voyage Packing List (abbreviated from original for spacing):
- One waterproof rain jacket for rainy or windy weather in Ushuaia, Argentina.
- One pair of waterproof pants (made of Goretex or similar waterproof, breathable fabric) that are loose enough to wear over a regular pair of trousers.
- One or two pairs of waterproof ski mittens or gloves.
- One wool ski cap and a scarf
- One pair of fully waterproof knee-high rubber boots
- Comfortable walking shoes with rubber soles for use aboard the ship.
- One pair of sandals (for polar plunge)
- Three or four pairs of wool socks and thin socks to wear underneath
- An assortment of fleeces, sweaters, and other layered clothing.
- One full set of thermal or silk long underwear.
- One or two bathing suits
- Workout clothing, for use in the ship’s fitness center.
- Water resistant backpack for carrying cameras or other equipment.
- Sunglasses.
- Binoculars.
- Electrical converter and adapter for your hotel stay (220V to 110V).
- Travel alarm clock.
- Camera + accessories
Note: robes and parkas are provided on this cruise
Old Nov 23, 2011, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator, SPG Gold
The organizers tend to overdo the instructions as people from different climates have different idea how to protect against snow, cold temperature and wet.

As you're coming from Ottawa, the weather in Antarctica will be relatively warm. For example when we visit the continent a few years ago, it was colder in Helsinki than it was there. As far as temperature is concerned, anything you'll consider fine for a day out at -5 C will be enough.

The biggest issues are wind and cold sea water. You'll never know how good or bad the weather is going to be. The landings are the best part and you may get a bit wet if the weather is so-so.

Rubber boots are required for the landings, you need to clean them when coming in/out so the easiest solution is to rent them from the boat.

The better binoculars the better, it's an unique place so it's a worthy investment. Likewise you'll want to take as good photos as possible. And take a backup camera -- the static electricity can kill your devices.

Sunglasses a must.

It's an unique continent. Do a lot but respect the place.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*G, UA*G
Thanks Ojala. It's great to hear from someone who has actually gone.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:25 am

Antarctica is the coldest, driest, windiest place on earth. Almost entirely covered in ice, the continent reflects most of the sun’s light and heat rather than absorbing it. Som einteresting facts about Antartic equipment you can find here: http://www.krillfacts.org/6-weather-center.html.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Late for the OP, but nonetheless, my observations:

I spent 21 days in Antarctica and South Georgia on days ranging from balmy to one day with fierce catabatic winds above 50 kts (temps and wind chill factor plunged - and we had to trek as rapidly as we could a couple of miles through marsh, limited visibility and agro male Antarctic fur seals to the beach, then wade into RIBs, transit to the ship and manage the ship's ladders in agitated seas), blowing snow, rain, you name it, making mostly wet landings on beaches with some occasional surge and wave action.

Boots - you can rely on the ship, but I can't, as my size is large enough to not be able to do that - Nokia or Sorrell, for example, make high rubber boots, preferably with warmth inserts to protect from the old and of course, the water as you will be wading ashore in some places. Good traction soles are the best as well. Mine were definitely worth bringing.

Binoculars - it's a trip of a lifetime, so I'd get some nitrogen as filled, coated (antifog and reflective) maybe 8 x 28s or better, light enough to tote around easily and practical enough to be useful for other trips. Forget anything over 10x as too impractical to hold still for long (and even 10x can be needless weight).

Layers - a top wind and waterproof layer, with intermediate layers - I prefer not to use down, which is light but is useless if it gets wet, and yes, it can do so (particularly if you visit sub-antarctic islands as well as the Continent itself). In my case, warm long underwear, good windproof trousers and warm shirt, layer and jacket.

Water and wind-proof outer wear High boots make it easier to not worry about waterproof trousers, but still, spray etc. is not something you want to add wetness to your clothing. Breathable is nice, because again, you can have lots of weather changes and you can experience it all from a fast walk and climb to sitting in a RIB for quite some time. (The more pricey expeditions will offer outerwear, sometimes even a jacket you can keep.)

At least two sets of very decent insulated socks and synthetic underwear that will dry out - you may find yourself alternating sets between shore visits while one is drying. As I learned in the armed forces, it's never a good idea to skimp on socks.

A nice insulated headcover, preferably with ear protection and sun brim or at least forebrim, and maybe a ski mask and / or earband. Maybe a full Balaklava.

Gloves - the best IMO are lined with removable liners - wetness is a pain in the cold. I took gloves with retractable fingers and mittens to wear over them when it got colder.

A water-resistant backpack big enough for those spare layers, a bottle of water, etc. and that will hold your camera for those wet landings.

I've also been in places like Northwest Territories, Nunavut (trekking) and the areas around Churchill, Manitoba in winter, so I have been able to use some of this clothing again.

SUNSCREEN and dark glasses - the sun is fierce, and the whiteness is too. Some moisturizing stuff - this Continent is the driest place on Earth.

For some, Leki or other trekking poles can make things easier / more comfortable.

My sister travelled with a small digital camera that was water resistant to 5m or so - and got some decent photos. Learn enough about your camera to know how to compensate for the white-white. Take more memory chips than you think you will use. Take plenty of batteries - batteries do not last long in very cold weather, and perhaps a camera that uses rechargables with 3 batteries and a charger, or better, that uses common batteries like AA - rechargables are once again recommended, but if something goes pear shaped you can purchase AA batteries on many ships.

These days I travel with a multi-adapter - it plugs into nearly any kind of outlet, offers plug-through capability and two USB ports for charging; a small power strip can be useful, but check your ship's voltage and outlet requirements.

Of course, whatever you use for mal de mer for the crossing - for some Meclezine works, "the patch" (Transderm Scōp®) for others - and almost anything with ginger for others I have used it successfully whale watching off the California coast in rough weather including the dreaded "Potato Patch", and other places on small boats).

A little preparation will help you have a positively memorable trip. It may be just fine when you go, but Antarctic (and sub-antarctic) weather can change rapidly and temperatures can as well.

In my case, I even fell into a hidden sinkhole up to my armpits in who-knows-what kind of primordial ooze and slime on one of the offlying islands near South Georgia (was it Prion Island? Maybe!) I was out like a shot, but they had to hit me with water hoses on the boat to de-gunk me. Never got cold or wet! ^

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 14, 2012, 6:23 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Idle observations from experience:
2 cameras,
double adaptor for multiple devices to be charged at the same time,
download photos onto a laptop daily (insurance against losing a camera when on the water),
windproof gloves and headgear (essential when on deck in wind),
camera tripod (essential for long distance telephoto shots),
skin cream for dry air conditions,
strong sea-sick drugs (ginger is useless in heavy weather),
dark sunglasses.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:41 am

Will be returning to this thread for a re-read in preparation for our voyage at year's end. Thank you for the details and insight/observations.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:01 pm

Agree about bringing strong seasickness meds. I would bring 2 pairs of thermal underwear.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.