What is Star Alliance Going to Do Now?

Old Mar 6, 2002, 5:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Quokka:
NW can operate their 320s out of NRT to some international destinations because they have international "beyond rights".

While UA has the "right" to fly tags (such as MEL-SYD) that connect their pax to their own international flights, they do not have the right to carry other airlines' connecting pax in Australia or domestic only pax.

UA had "cabbotage" rights for awhile after Ansett first ceased operations, but they were not extended and are unlikey to ever be again.

I believe NZ has the right (or could argue for it) to operate domestically in Australia, but they don't seem to be too keen to enter the domestic AU market under their own name right now. Perhaps they figure lots of ex-Ansetters would have plenty of time these days to create a fuss about it.
</font>
True - but I imagine with the collapse of AN the government would consider supporting the above.
Old Mar 6, 2002, 5:42 am

The govt will never support this as it releases the Qantas Monopoly and gives a UNREGULATED backdoor into our aviation market, which the govt does not want to see.

Qantas have a lot of lobbying power in CBR and offer a lot of perks to the govt. International carriers running domestic also opens a pile of worms that the govt does not want to contend with (such as safety requirements, Dumping, ACCC issues etc).

The last thing the govt wants is United saying, well we have to fly from Syd to Mel and the plane is at 20% capx, so lets just dump the seats on the market at say $25 (marginally this is profitable for United - as it is flying the route anyway BUT not profitable for the Aussie airlines.) The govt would then have to bail Qantas out when it got into trouble and well all hell would break if they supported Qantas while not supporting Ansett!
Old Mar 6, 2002, 6:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MilesDependent:
True - but I imagine with the collapse of AN the government would consider supporting the above.</font>
Not a chance.

The only foreign carrier that has an opening into the domestic Australia market is Air New Zealand ... who is understandably gunshy about operating there.

It might be in Air New Zealand's best interest to push the issue anyway, since if the Australian government somehow blocked Air New Zealand from serving the Australian domestic market, you'd think the NZ government would yank Qantas' rights to operate in domestic NZ markets.

I wonder how much pressure other *A carriers are putting on Air New Zealand to use its opening into the Australian domestic market. Or if the other *A carriers have given up on NZ and are resigned to trying to strike a deal with Virgin Blue.
Old Mar 9, 2002, 6:58 am

John Anderson, the federal minster for Qantas would never allow UA (or any other *A airline for that matter) fly domestically around Oz.

goodo
Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:26 pm
mjm
Original Member

mispost. Please disregard

[This message has been edited by mjm (edited 11-18-2002).]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.