Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2002, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Virgin to match some Ansett points?

Virgin to match some Ansett points?

1. NEW REWARD PROGRAM IN AUSTRALIA

A new on-line loyalty program launched today (Tuesday, August 6, 2002) and linked with Virgin Blue has brought back competition into Australia's domestic frequent flyer market.

Revitalise Ansett reward points

The newest kid on the block allows former Ansett Global Awards point holders to "reactivate" some of their old points. This should prove to be a big carrot for many disgruntled former Ansett frequent flyers. Upon joining the Triple A Club, old Ansett point holders will be able to revalidate between 1,000 and 3,000 of their old points. On top of this, their remaining points will be placed in a revalidation account. Depending on your membership status, the Triple A Club will then revalidate between 1 and 1.5 points each time you make a purchase with program partners. You also earn Triple A Club points for your purchases.

Virgin vouchers

As we predicted earlier in the year, Virgin Blue is now linked with a domestic reward program. It's not exactly Virgin's own program, but it's a start and you can now earn loyalty points - which can be redeemed for travel - when making an online booking with Virgin Blue. This is the 1st domestic alternative to the Qantas Frequent Flyer program since the collapse of Ansett almost a year ago. While Virgin Blue has not endorsed the Triple A Club as its official rewards program, the airline is a program partner in the scheme.

How it works

The unique aspect of this new club is its trust account-based pointing system. Unlike other loyalty programs, the dollar value of points earned by its members is placed in a bank account. The club claims the innovative measure will prevent another Ansett Global Rewards collapse fiasco because the points are backed by cold hard cash in the trust fund.

The costs

Joining fee is $30 and the annual membership fees range from $39 to $149, depending on the status. You'll get between 1,000 and 3,000 points upon joining and there's no use-by-date on points earned, as long as the membership stays active.

Our view

The Triple A Club is certainly an exciting addition to the stale domestic frequent flyer market. Time will tell whether the on-line program will catch on with the flying punters, but its positioning in the market - being non-bank or airline based - may prove appealing. It is also the first serious attempt to capture the former Ansett members, something the banks and perhaps even Qantas should have done a long time ago. The biggest downer about this concept so far is that points can only be earned on purchases made through the club's online partners. The trust account guarantee is an interesting concept and should provide relief to those still cursing Ansett.

Visit the TripleAClub website for more information.

http://www.tripleaclub.com.au/

Disclaimer from ozstamps .. no idea who these guys are .. got this emailed to me today.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Aug 6, 2002, 9:19 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
The Ansett points matching is pretty much a con job and publicity stunt.

See my comments on the other thread Ozstamps started about this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/004748.html
Old Aug 7, 2002, 4:07 am

Kremmen -I agree. see my post on the same thread as above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.