Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ansett Australian Global Rewards
Reload this Page >

Frequent Flyer News Straight From the Horse's Mouth! (Finally)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frequent Flyer News Straight From the Horse's Mouth! (Finally)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2002, 9:11 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mr Earn:
So does that mean as a platinum, if I buy a cheapie in L class I won't get my 10,000 bonus points??? for a MELSYD rt.

I'm with QF still,
Mr Earn
</font>
I believe that is the case.

It's b/s, isn't it!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Feb 19, 2002, 10:40 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
It's pathetic.

SQ gave 10k bonus points for Australians joining Krisflyer recently, double points and no joining fee.

UA gave 10k bonus MileagePlus miles for Australians joining recently and no joining fee.

Most AN frequent flyers who actually fly will already be members of QF's frequent flyer scheme, so the cost of joining QF's is irrelevant at this point.

The decision to charge AN frequent flyers who flew a lot but didn't happen to have status last Sep is stupid. The decision to disallow cheap web fares from counting is stupid.

If they credit points to other Star carriers, I'll put them into MileagePlus or Krisflyer rather than pay to join AN's very mediocre scheme. If they don't, I'll fly QF or DJ, unless AN is cheaper than DJ.
Old Feb 20, 2002, 3:18 am

AN won't be seeing my money. I had 70,000+ points but no status. One thing I am sorry about is a few years back when I did a stupid thing and credited a 30,500 mile Star Alliance RTW trip to my AN account (they only credited me 0.7 points/km too!)

goodo
Old Feb 20, 2002, 3:44 am

I wrote this on another forum, but I think I've got a nice interesting comparison below (flying SQ MEL-SIN-FRA in discount, aka 'normal' economy class).

We've been hearing news about receiving news on the Tesna program for donkey's years. The fact that it really is a carbon copy of the former Ansett Australia Global Rewards really points to a pretty lazy effort (consider the fact that the main elements of the program were out there in the HSun weeks ago).

When Ansett gives:

* 160,000 mile overdraft for its top tiered members
* Guarenteed availability, even outside of Business/Full Economy for top tiered members
* Upgrade availability in near any, or any class
* 200% & 300% credit for Business & First Class
* Status bonuses of 25-50% on either itself or all Star Carriers
* Confirmed upgrades
* Blackout date waivers for high tiered members
* Companion tickets
* Child discounted FF tickets
* Special credit card benefits for tiered members
* Special FF ticket availability for high tiered members
* Valet parking for high tiered members
* Additional upgrades based on meeting thresholds
* Ability to bring up to 5 guests into GW lounges for top tiered members
* A mileage based status system
* Ability to purchase miles to make up any shortfall present when 'purchasing' a redemption ticket
* Minimum miles (so as not to disadvantage domestic fliers with earning status)

...then it will be the best program in the Star Alliance, instead of the tired program it is.

I'll admit there isn't a Star Alliance program that has every single one of these features in it, but most have several of the above features. The thing is, why bother with Ansett Frequent Flyer, when you can join another Star Program and enjoy all of these perks?

At this point in time, the only advantage that I can see with joining Ansett Frequent Flyer as opposed to another Star program is the great bonuses they are offering at the moment. You might call the ability to upgrade on AN another advantage over other Star programs, but just remember, it's only in Full Economy at this point in time (why not be sensible like almost any other program & the previous ANGR & offer more expensive upgrades for non full fare tickets?)

Just remember that UA & SQ were giving 10,000 mile bonuses with their free programs when AN fell and broke its knee (SQ has double points). NZ (which is a better program than AN's - barely) was offering free memberships & double points. Ideally AN really should be offering some heavier discounts with the joining fees (most carriers do that or give it out for free during the promo period), especially in conjunction with credit card providers, etc. What they have to remember is that most FF's will also have QFFF membership - so there have to be some real incentives to jump ship. It's also tight of AN charging base members $82.50 to join again. We're not all people who only earnt points via Diners & Westpac. We're joining twice (& probably paying twice).

The only reason I didn't achieve status on AN, is because of their system. To earn Sapphire (Star Silver) on AN flying normal Economy MEL-SYD, would require me to to take 40 flights & 160 to get Platinum. Under the same scenario flying Lufthansa (let's say FRA-MUC), it would take me 35 flights to get to Silver & 87 flights to get Senator. The thing is, under the Ansett system, SYD-CBR is valued the same as SYD-DPS, even though Bali is 20 times as far away! You'd be flying Ansett either way. Under any other Star Alliance system, the long haul flight would be valued for what it's worth.

Putting that into perspective, look at how many times you'd need to fly MEL-SIN-FRA to get the top tier on a Star Alliance carrier (one ways).

* AN Global Rewards/Frequent Flyer Diamond: 31 flights
* NZ Airpoints Gold Elite: 9 flights
* UA Mileage Plus Premier Executive 1K: 10 flights
* AC Aeroplan Super Elite: 10 flights
* SK Eurobonus Gold: 10 flights (5 under some circumstances)
* LH Miles & More Senator: 9 flights
* TG Royal Orchid Plus Gold: 5 flights
* SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold: 5 flights
* MX Frecuenta Gold: 5 flights
* BD Diamond Club Gold: 4 flights

To get the 'easiest' Star Alliance Gold on the same route:

* AN Global Rewards/Frequent Flyer Diamond: 16 flights
* NZ Airpoints Gold: 6 flights
* UA Mileage Plus Premier Executive: 5 flights
* AC Aeroplan Elite: 4 flights
* SK Eurobonus Gold: 10 flights (5 under some circumstances)
* LH Miles & More Senator: 9 flights
* TG Royal Orchid Plus Gold: 5 flights
* SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold: 5 flights
* MX Frecuenta Gold: 5 flights
* BD Diamond Club Gold: 4 flights

Bit unfair, eh?

I hope they keep the Avis discount - the AN discount is one of the best down here (& it still works!). About the only other good point of the old program was Sapphire (Star Silver) checkin - can't think of any other *airline that gives priority checkin to Star Silvers - heck, you could get it on TG for 10k.

Sorry Tesna, I've been tough on you & I'm sounding like a sook, but Ansett Frequent Flyer is already a dissapointment. You may as well just put stickers on all the old AN GR brochures & cover the "Global Rewards" up with Frequent Flyer.

Hey, it's only a Frequent Flyer program http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 20, 2002, 6:40 am

I hope Tesna reads these comments, not to mention all of the other people's complaints and do something about this.

I'd rather have them go away for a month and come up with something better than this rubbish.

They had the PERFECT opportunity to take QF on at their own game and make it a worthwhile program, but no, they've made it vastly unattractive to most people. Could this be on purpose to turn AN into the airline where they hope to keep costs low by hoping the "cheap VFR flyer" doesn't bother paying up to join, while the C pax they want to keep will be in there and have a system that rewards them as expected.

If Justin's 500,000 people with 0 points balance was correct you can imagine they were people who signed up for free and never took a flight - thus costing a huge amount to maintain (think of all those letters, brochures etc sent to them, etc). Perhaps Tesna is trying to cut those costs by making it unattrative to most "base" members to really consider it.

Just a (sad) thought...

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 1:18 am

Programs: QF Platinum
Remember, now that you've joined the Ansett Frequent Flyer program, take a return flight on the new Ansett on or after the Program Start Date and before 28 February 2003, just once and you will automatically earn 25,000 bonus points.

Then keep flying the new Ansett and you will receive 5,000 bonus points for every subsequent return flight until 28 February 2003, on top of the normal points you earn for every kilometre travelled.

I was originally very sad that the program had little to offer - but based on my travel patterns I could well earn back all of the points I had and many more.

Perhaps I was the only one amongst us silly enough to credit all Star flights to AN and actually attain status - not to mention my utter stupidity with clocking up points over 4.5 years (after paying the $50 joining fee)and never actually using a single point.

Lets just hope that my stupidity isnt exceded by Tesna's in the running of the airline...

Best Regards

Bradley
Old Feb 21, 2002, 4:26 am

Richard,

The 500,000 members with Zero points figure is actually out of the first Tesna PDF http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 21, 2002, 4:51 am
Original Poster

I agree with lufty - there's nothing to lose. I could use my UAMP or LHMM (still haven't decided which one to use when I go OS) for new Ansett flights, but with such generous bonuses, I'd be stupid not to join. And as I'm not a member of QF, I'd have to pay $82.50 either way, so I'm not fussed. And we must remember here, the new Ansett won't be generating much revenue for the first 1-2 years - FLEW have to use their business sense for the airline to survive in the long term or the millions of invested dollars will go down the dunny. Once revenue is up, Ansett will have the opportunity to give its members more of those perks that are always raised.
PS - For PER based people, AN would have to be the better programme with 1 point per km, right? I mean, the 1000 point minimum with QF isn't much help to them. Just a thought...
oh, and lufty - I too credited all my Star flights to AN! I wasn't FF savvy back then http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by trentis (edited 02-21-2002).]

[This message has been edited by trentis (edited 02-21-2002).]
Old Feb 21, 2002, 5:16 pm

1. Reading the above I can't see addressed anywhere what happens (if anything!) to those who previoulsy had large Ansett points balances? Wasn't there some deal where part of "old" balance became "new" points?

2. If one takes L class tickets on new airline and adds another STAR partner number in there do miles accrue in other * account as they used to, even though they may not attract any "new" AN points as seems clear.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 6:11 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
I would be very suprised to see the partners allowing accural on L class when AN doesn't allow accural. There are only two exceptions to this general rule I can think of and that is Canadians and Australians being eligible to get credit on some discount BA classes, and Midwest Express not blocking out some of the dirt cheap VS booking classes.

Old Feb 22, 2002, 5:12 am

Well in Star we have SQ with all its non-FFP booking classes, that invalidate entire itineraries. I too would be surprised if L were not blocked alliance wide.

In other news, you get a 5000pt bonus for your first oneway flight. To get your 10000pt bonus, you must fly a return ticket.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 22, 2002, 6:17 pm

All of us know that L class does not earn points BUT Ansett better make that very clear on the webpage before you checkout, otherwise A LOT of Ansett Flyers will be VERY VERY UNHAPPY about flying Syd-Mel for $77 each way and not finding out they did not get their first flight bonus because they did not pay enough for the flight.

Also how do you think Mr Joe Average will feel if he goes to book and see that the fare of $77 is avaliable but he need to pay $88 if he wants his points? I'm just assuming but I would say he would hop straight over to www.qantas.com.au and pay the $77 with FF credit.

Many people have told me that Fox / Lew are smart business people, I'm starting to think otherwise (unless Sydney Airport was correct in assuming that all they wanted was to be become airport real estate agents!)
Old Feb 22, 2002, 9:55 pm

The webpage has been updated in the terms and conditions of the "cheap" fares it says no FF points can be earned. Is it hilighted? Not really, but it is there (ie: in the fine print, just so you can't argue down the track).

It is a stupid decision by AN. Good in a business sense of course, but stupid because people buying the $77 tickets are buying on _price alone_ - if they can get $77 on QF or DJ they'll take it. This is the price sensitive end of the market. Now, I'm sure AN has justified it this way: These "bottom feeders" don't care about FF points because there's no loyalty at that end of the market to be gained. ie: the next trip they won't come back to AN if they can get a cheaper fare on one of the other two, so why reward them? Now, that makes sense to a certain extent. I guess it is also trying to limit extra losses from an airfare war (remember, AN "pays" for each FF point....).

However, there's a flip side to this. Those cheapie flyers are more than likely *not* going to fork out the $82.50 for ANFF membership, so they'd have nothing to earn points too. Yes, if they credited to a * partner like UA/SQ etc that would be a loss to AN, but I'd imagine the figures of locals deflecting points to a non local FFP to be fairly low in the scheme of things. So, if you *are* a member of AN FF (ie: paid your money) then it is likely that loyalty is of some interest to you. Given that, why screw your loyal flyers in this regard by not awarding points? I personally am a member of QFFF (comp membership granted by CO many moons ago) and sorry, but if it's going to be the same price I'd fly QF on a N fare and grab those points (only 6970 status credits to go to lifetime silver! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif). AN loses that (abeit small) revenue because they want to penny pinch on FF points.

I think this will backfire on them because all QF needs to do is put a big sign up saying "OUR internet fares earn points - we're the only ones in Australia who do" and see what happens.

Not smart, Tesna. Not smart. You're not competing at all, you're setting up almost as if you are in a vacuum. Soon enough, you will be - that of death. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 10:56 pm

Programs: QF & NW Clubs. Will never buy another ticket on UA or US.
I agree re: L fares and mileage.

As a further disappointment I tried emailing Ansett with a few questions re: the new program at [email protected] which is quoted as the contact email on the new program pages and.... it bounced back from airnz's servers.... with all the time they have had you think getting a working email address wouldn't kill anyone...

Has anyone been told if the base membership cards will be real (ie plastic) ones this time?
Old Feb 24, 2002, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I am visiting Melbourne for a couple of days and of course following these events, having in the late 80s been a Gold Wing Club member and flew AN [and AN NZ] almost exclusively across this part of the world for a few years with fondness. But I am confused by the details posted here, and in the article I found in yesterday's AUSTRALIAN by a woman who was claiming that the 10K bonus applied on every flight taken, and thus someone flying every week between SYD-MEL would end up with something like 500K+ points, which cannot be true, can it? Not from my reading of the foregoing posts, unless I've missed something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.