News: Ansett talks drag on over fine detail

Old Feb 18, 02, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
News: Ansett talks drag on over fine detail

Ansett talks drag on over fine detail
By LEONIE WOOD
Tuesday 19 February 2002

Ansett's administrators and representatives of the Tesna consortium held lengthy talks yesterday in an effort to nail down the final details of the airline's sale as the parties prepare for a Federal Court hearing this morning.

But as talks dragged on, it was unclear if the administrators, Mark Mentha and Mark Korda of accounting firm Andersen, would ask the court either to approve the $453 million sale or defer it yet again.

Insiders still believe the deal will be settled before the administrators' self-imposed deadline of February 28, but the parties are quibbling over the fine detail.

Each day the deal is delayed represents another $1 million of operating losses to come from the already small pool of returns to Ansett's creditors.

The court last week heard there was some dispute between the administrators and Tesna, controlled by Melbourne businessmen Lindsay Fox and Solomon Lew, about whether the terms of the sale contract allowed the administrators to sell plant and equipment that belonged to other parties.
Old Feb 18, 02, 6:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Richard - just an opinion, but could you consider posting your continued updates under one topic "news", rather than starting a new topic every time.
No problem if you think otherwise, but just my preference is not to have a huge # of new blow by blow topics added to update what is essentially one topic - the resurrection of AN. Your providing the info is most helpful for those who do not read Australian papers.
Koala
Old Feb 18, 02, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koala:
Richard - just an opinion, but could you consider posting your continued updates under one topic "news", rather than starting a new topic every time.
No problem if you think otherwise, but just my preference is not to have a huge # of new blow by blow topics added to update what is essentially one topic - the resurrection of AN. Your providing the info is most helpful for those who do not read Australian papers.
Koala
</font>
Koala - it is an absolutely fair point, and I do agree with you. The problem is that news breaks here so quickly, or new items crop up that if I waited till, for example, the end of the day to post 3/4 articles into 1, the news factor may well be lost. Besides, in a way I feel it is a useful document in a way to look back at the twists and turns, or even the different media biases.

I started putting "news" as a heading so people would know it was just a copy from a news source and so on.

I realise it makes for a lot of clutter, but in a way that also represents the mess that this whole thing is.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Feb 18, 02, 8:41 pm

We'll be overtaking the QF forum soon!
I think we're bigger in terms of topics already =)

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 18, 02, 9:05 pm

i like it best as news items, discrete..but then i am a fastidious history-trained type who likes to organise my own data, in my own categories..
but these things are a matter of taste, to be sure..
Old Feb 18, 02, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Skystar:
We'll be overtaking the QF forum soon!
I think we're bigger in terms of topics already =)

Cheers,

Justin
</font>
Does this mean we have a larger market share? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Feb 19, 02, 12:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMEL:
Does this mean we have a larger market share? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

</font>
ooh, you're evil! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif If only. Maybe this can be a premonition of things to come in 5-10 years. Yes, we can dream!
Old Feb 19, 02, 1:48 am
Original Member

Richard - am not suggesting that you wait and post 3-4 at a time, just to put them sequentially into the one topic, rather than starting a new one every time.
Skystark - am a bit unhappy about doing AN versus QF run based on the # of topics. That way we get into a real clutter, encouraging posting just for the sake of posting rather than for its content.
Koala
Old Feb 19, 02, 3:57 am

Nah,

Richard, we just have more planes in the air (boy, I can wish http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif. Qantas have fewer, but they're fuller than ours.

They're still beating us with messages =)

With this new program destined to be launched in its entirity tomorrow, we'll be giving QF a good run for the money.

Koala, I was just joking. I read most of the news articles that Richard posts outside FlyerTalk, but I can understand for those people not here, how valuable they are.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Feb 19, 02, 4:13 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Koala:
Richard - am not suggesting that you wait and post 3-4 at a time, just to put them sequentially into the one topic, rather than starting a new one every time.
Skystark - am a bit unhappy about doing AN versus QF run based on the # of topics. That way we get into a real clutter, encouraging posting just for the sake of posting rather than for its content.
Koala
</font>
That would work nicely if there was one obvious topic (apart from "rebirth of Ansett" - but usually topics vary - from FF program, GW wing stuff, legal action, CBR terminal stuff, AFL vs. Fox, Syd Airports corp, blah blah etc. Putting them all into one thing or even a few wouldn't make much sense.

Anyway if you don't like it, just ignore everything beginning with "news" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Hopefully this should all settle within the next week and we can go back to useful Ansett stuff, and not "this hour's breaking news item"

Sorry that you don't like the way I've chosen to do it. Nobody's perfect.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Feb 19, 02, 5:39 am
Original Member

Richard - no problems, just a suggestion that all the breaking news could be run in one topic.
Like others, I enjoy your enthusiasm for the re-launch. We certainly need something&gt;the DJ/QF duopoly in Australian aviation. However, I do have that sinking feeling that only too soon this may turn out to be just another passing Impulse.
Hope I am wrong.
Koala

Search this Thread