Tesna will NOT honour any GR points

Old Jan 30, 02, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Tesna will NOT honour any GR points

According to the Herald-Sun, which was quoted here on late night radio, but there is nothing online yet. The phrase used was: "wipe the slate clean"

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jan 30, 02, 1:00 pm

Well what DID you expect.!!!
Old Jan 30, 02, 5:47 pm

Sadly,

I think they've just dug themselves another hole.

I hope the rumour about QF honouring points is not true.

I don't really care about my points, but for the sake of the airline and its staff, it needs bums on seats and alienating most of its previous customer base isn't going to help it.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Jan 30, 02, 5:51 pm

Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia / Tallahassee, Florida, USA / QF Club; QF-Silver; OW-Ruby; AN; DL-Blue.
You dont have to be a business wiz to understand that if they dont have some point honouring scheme, even the slightest one, AN will never regain the corporate travellers.

------------------
QantasAllTheWay
OneWorld, All Around the World
Old Jan 30, 02, 6:00 pm

Well have a look here.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E662,00.html

Looks like they haven't been very creative. Same old scheme back again, a journey back in time with "Ansett Frequent Flyer".

1.25 for C, 1 for Y, 0.7 for Discount Y.
Wonder what status will be - will we have a weird BMI system?

Obviously a lot of creative work here.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Jan 30, 02, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Well, this is so dumb!

AN had a chance to revamp QF style, yet they've gone the wrong way with this.

Also, as Justin said I don't care about my points, but want AN to survive - sadly this will ensure it dies a 2nd death.

I'm very disappointed in this. You'd think they'd *try* and match QF, or come close, or even have a mileage based system, or minimum points or something... And yes, I know they want to fund the program, but giving us back the joining fee? gee, thanks for nothing.

Looks like I'll be plugging my UA number in for any future flights (when that is allowed).

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jan 30, 02, 7:03 pm

Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
I cannot agree more with the previos posts.

Sure, the points are nice, but the fact remains is, that I would much prefer to see a viable Ansett for many years to come rather than being forced to fly on the dark side.

Old Jan 31, 02, 12:24 am

A very, VERY dark side.
Old Jan 31, 02, 3:09 am

I hope someone high up in Ansett is actually reading this. Jeez, you would've thought they would have been thinking the same thing as us. I, too, agree 100% with all that has been said thusfar. I hope my flight tomorrow isn't one of my last on Ansett.
(Ansett Management- Do something positive please! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif)
Old Jan 31, 02, 5:02 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Skystar:
I hope the rumour about QF honouring points is not true.
</font>
I hadn't seen anything about that ... what was it about?
Old Jan 31, 02, 6:54 am

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
It would be competly unworkable to honor the old points. You would probably have a lot of people suddenly cashing them in for F class flights with SQ. It may well be better for you to join UA, LH or SQ. At least they dont charge for membership and as a star gold you get to use the lounge.

cest nes pas ??

Jon
Old Jan 31, 02, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

I'm not really concerned about old points being honoured, though you'd think for people with balances over some X amount, Tesna might sweeten the deal by saying "okay, we'll turn that credit into free flights on the tesna network to the value of the points" or something. You have to feel some sympathy for those that lost many hundreds of thousands of points in the scheme and feel cheated (I am not one of these).

I think the bigger issue is the newser scheme and AN's chances of getting loyalty back and keeping it which is what they need to remain even half decently viable. Right now, it looks like a big fat clunker.
(although the latest newspaper reports seem to indicate that elite status would be carried over, which is something).

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jan 31, 02, 6:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
Wiping status would be the ultimate death wish IMHO. Most of the people AN is trying to win back would have made status on QF in the time that AN has been down. To then turn around and say "sorry not only have you lost your vast number of points but your AN * Gold status is worthless and you can either sit with everyone else in the gate area or pay a golden wing membership till you make the required status" would seal Ansett's fate once again - and sadly all this would be before they start all over again.

Old Jan 31, 02, 8:37 pm

Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia / Tallahassee, Florida, USA / QF Club; QF-Silver; OW-Ruby; AN; DL-Blue.
All you folks seem unable to understand that Tesna/AN will have to skirmish it out with DJ for at least 3 years in order to survive. so all the issues of status, etc are irrelevant because what they need are bums on seats, not necessarily corporate ones.

While in my opinion they should have had a 2-tiers approach (ie, similar to what QF will have soon with QF as premium and Australian as discount), it seems like they cant afford it.

I too want to see a viable AN if im to have any prospect of being able to fly on QF!

------------------
QantasAllTheWay
OneWorld, All Around the World
Old Jan 31, 02, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Er yes, QATW but one way for them to generate bums on seats, and specially higher yield bums is a decent loyalty scheme. As it is QF has basically grabbed all the corporates and who knows if Fox has managed to snare any back despite the supposed "large pool of grass roots support from major businesses" - AN does not make money off the $77 one way cheapies! Neither does QF, but DJ does because of its dirt cheap costs, no louges, loyalty schemes (yadda) a.k.a. Southwest.

So while it sounds like we're whinging over silly things like status, this is the thing that the high yield business pax will notice. Why should they go back to AN if the program offers no real good alternative to QF? As it is I bet they're feeling dodgy about it with all the stop-starts, and lack of anything really concrete about anything out of Tesna.

AN-III is going to loose a lot of money before (if) it makes any - I don't think anyone is under any ilusions there.

As yield and high rev pax is what gets revenue and profits in, I think discussions of the Tesna FF program and possible drawbacks (given we have not seen the official program yet) are valid - I don't think anyone here is seriously talking about themselves, but in general - because as you say AN needs bums on seats, and while $77 cheapies fill up seats, they also spill red ink.

Also you have to remember that a lot of people are selfish. A lot of people won't care about how Tesna couldn't possibly afford to give those 70 billion points back, and so on - they'll say "I had 50,000 points before - I want them now" and if Tesna says nope, not even a brass razoo, then you can bet those people will stay away simply because once bitten twice shy. I don't know what the answer is, but I think it involves a lot of pain.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

Search this Thread