Ansett ready to fly new colours

Old Jan 5, 2002, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Ansett ready to fly new colours

The new millionaire owners of a reborn Ansett, which takes to the air at the beginning of next month, are considering changing the company's colours and branding.

Melbourne magnates Lindsay Fox and Solomon Lew will also try to tempt customers back to the troubled airline with personal TVs, internet access and telephone connections on their aircraft.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0201/06/n...ational16.html
Old Jan 5, 2002, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I like the fact that BMI British Midland is accused of being a "low cost carrier" in the article!
Old Jan 5, 2002, 10:41 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
God! Not another livery change! The current one is really nice. That blue and gold "A" with the southern cross is a classic logo and I'd be sad to see it go - specially if it was replaced by something like the new BMI scheme, which is gross (IMHO).

They should concentrate on getting a market segment and a profitable operation I think rather than letting the marketing kids run amok and create a new monster.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jan 6, 2002, 12:30 am

Please don't touch that tail - easily one of the most prettiest tails in the sky.

It's hardly an ugly or dated scheme, why change something that's not broken.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Jan 8, 2002, 7:19 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
I think the Ansett logo does look dated - but then I think it has always looked a bit clunky. All those stars - very 80s. I can understand that you guys view it with fondness because it signifies an airline which you loved, but for many people that look and name signifies a failed/financially shaky airline. (I'm not saying I do, just pointing out the marketing rationale.)

I personally really like the new bmi look, although it looks so 'right now' that by next year it might be looking very 'yesterday'...
Old Jan 8, 2002, 10:07 pm

The real question is how much marketing effort and $$$ are they going to waste on this effort. There are more important things.

And of course "all those stars" are the southern cross!!! Not just made up or put on there at random!!!

Speaking of yesterday's liveries.. let's consider AN's previous efforts.... the old "Delta" based orange on white (soooo 70's!), the "rainbow southern cross" looked neat, but very 80's, the "Australia Flag" motif of late 80's/early 90's was simple and quite pretty, but didn't really give AN any significant identity. And now we have the Starmark, which from memory has been around since the early-mid 90's IIRC... And is simple yet bold, stylised (the "A"), while remembering where the airline is based (Southern Cross), interesting (note how the blues merge at the A) yet not very cluttered. In all, it's clean and nice.

Sure, there is a bit of loyalty to the "old" in there, but this is also a gorgeous design that works. I seem to recall in some survey taken out a few years back in one of the mags, AN was one of the finalists!

I can just see they'll go crazy and we'll get some kind of crass all over the fuselage squiggles equivalent to Fox's girth! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tongue.gif

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Jan 9, 2002, 6:53 pm

What did Airliners magazine have to say about the AN scheme,

"...a dash of paint from the prettiest tail in the sky" - A+

I don't think AN looks dated, it can't look any more dated than QF.

I never really like the Ansett Australia. "Australian Flag" scheme - didn't look fresh, didn't have much identity (you look at the tail, you think Australia, not Ansett). The shooting star scheme was far more appropriate and trailblazing for its time.

Cheers,

Justin
Old Jan 9, 2002, 8:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Skystar:
What did Airliners magazine have to say about the AN scheme,

"...a dash of paint from the prettiest tail in the sky" - A+

</font>
Ah, thanks Justin. That article/quote was the one I was thinking about. That it was in airliners explains why I couldn't dig it up at home as I only keep back issues of airways and gave up on airliners a few years back.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.