Now UA matches AN status...

Old Oct 30, 01, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Now UA matches AN status...

ANSETT GLOBAL REWARDS MEMBERS RECEIVE UNITED AIRLINES BONUS MILES OFFER

Sydney, 26 October 2001 - United Airlines has moved to pick up Ansett Australia's Global Rewards members with a special bonus mile offer.

The airline is offering 10,000 bonus miles for Ansett Global Rewards members joining the United Airlines Mileage Plus scheme and for new members of Mileage Plus who fly one round trip on United operated flights between 26 October 2001 and 31 March 2002.

New members who fly one round trip from Australia to the USA in United First and United Business will receive 15,000 bonus miles.

The offer is only available to Australian residents or customers purchasing their tickets in Australia.

In addition to the bonus mile offer, Ansett Global Rewards members will also retain their Star Gold or Star Silver status when they switch to the Mileage Plus program.

The General Manager Australia of United Airlines, Mr. Stephen Pearse, says the airline wants to extend the benefits of its Mileage Plus program to Ansett Global Rewards members.

"Through the Global Rewards program, many Ansett travellers have taken advantage of the Star Alliance network and have enjoyed the United Airlines experience," he said.

"It is appropriate that we welcome them to Mileage Plus by maintaining their status under Global Rewards, thus recognising their loyalty to the program of a Star Alliance partner."

He said customers who join Mileage Plus will also receive a special welcome through the bonus mile offer and by enjoying the many benefits of the frequent flyer program.

The bonus mile offer is valid on paid, published fares and can only be earned on one round trip. Other restrictions may apply.

Existing Global Ansett Rewards members can switch over to Mileage Plus by calling United on 131 777. All other customers who wish to join can contact United or their local contact travel agent.

United Airlines offers nearly 1,900 flights a day to 130 destinations in 27 countries and two U.S. territories. United Airlines is a founding member of the Star Alliance, the first comprehensive global airline network. United and its Star Alliance partners offer flights to 894 destinations in 129 countries.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Oct 31, 01, 4:45 am

I wonder if the 10-15K bonus miles are in addition to all the bonus miles out there at the minute.

If you are *G on AN, switch to MP, and do a r/t in Y before 15 Nov, does this mean you get:
* standard 15K miles
* 15K bonus miles as a 1P
* 15K bonus for the double miles deal
* 10K for this promotion
* What else...

That's around 55,000 miles http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif Enough to get back to the states and then some under the current deals.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Oct 31, 01, 6:22 am
Original Poster

I'd say yes the bonus would be in addition to everything else.. and they could fly by 15 Dec for the double miles systemwide promo !

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Oct 31, 01, 2:59 pm

I just called UA about this promotion.

I was told that status granted now would expire under normal MP rules. This means we have only a couple of months to requalify for next year's status, and no recognition of the expiry date of the (beloved) Ansett program.

However, I was told that there is currently no expiry date on this offer, so waiting until January may be a good way, to get a full year of status.

Has anyone heard anything different?

Keep Flyin'
Anne-Marie
Old Oct 31, 01, 4:52 pm

Location: BALLARAT VIC AUSTRALIA,ANSETT STAR GOLD DIAMOND,MALAYSIAN ENRICH GOLD
I also called this morning and got information to join Mileage Plus.They said I would be on their second level but still in Star Alliance Gold.
It almost seems to good to be true to have 100% bonus plus 50% for first class plus double miles till December 15 as I am travelling MEL/LAX/SFO/LHR in early December.

PS.Did anyone else hear Fox nd Lew have set a deadline of Tuesday next week?
Bring on the ANSTAFF group
Old Oct 31, 01, 7:40 pm

Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
Todays AFR has a bit on the fox/lew bid and the admistrator... looks as if everyone (govt included) is going to take their sweet time, meanwhile QF has the Australian market by the throat.

Will be interesting to see if there is a backlash against the Aust. Govt like their was against the NZ govt in regard to the Ansett issue. Somehow I doubt it ... nothing like a good bit of Kiwi bashing for many Australians. (btw im not a Kiwi)

Best Regards

Bradley
Old Nov 1, 01, 4:07 am

Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
After having a look at the reward chart the 10K bonus offer for round trip on UAL looks very inviting (read BD UK domestic) especially if I only shell out a couple of hunderd bucks for the SYD-MEL-SYD roundtrip to qualify.

Now my only problem is that I am an existing M+ member ... no points or anything ... just one of those annoying statistics in the database ... yes I know!

Anyway, now to my question. Would UAL cancel my current membership ... I could ring up and feed the agent some spiel about sorting out my paperwork... because if they would be willing to cancel it - then in the new year I will get them to comp my AN Sapphire and then go down to MEL for the morning and have 10000 odd miles in the account. This is all predicated on them cancelling my existing account... is this possible?

If not I'll have to fly UAL for the SQ flight credit to get 10K SQ miles ... which are good for a BD domestic or flights within Sweeden Norway and Denmark (connections allowed). (yes I know I need help)

Thanks in advance...

Best Regards

Bradley

Old Nov 1, 01, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Thought: if you have 0 miles in your current MP account, create a new one online and use a middle initial if you have one to make your name different to your current one? That is if UA won't nuke your current membership (and if you call up and say I want to nuke it, you can bet they'd know why http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif ).

Good luck!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Dec 15, 01, 3:45 am
Original Member

Programs: QF Platypus UA PE MM HH Diamond
Has UA extended the 10K bonus to existing members, or has that been confined to new ones? Had a vague recollection that someone on the Board had suggested it applied to existing Oz members buying RT tix.
Koala
Old Dec 15, 01, 4:59 am

You know it would've been great if LH was handing out Senator to AN Platinum/Gold fliers.

Cheers,

Justin

Search this Thread