FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ansett Australian Global Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ansett-australian-global-rewards-404/)
-   -   55% Market Share? "Tell them they're dreaming!" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ansett-australian-global-rewards/29276-55-market-share-tell-them-theyre-dreaming.html)

RichardMEL Nov 8, 2001 7:34 pm

55% Market Share? "Tell them they're dreaming!"

Subject says it all...

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

Skystar Nov 8, 2001 10:41 pm

Well,

Do they know anything about running airlines? They've got money, they want to put PTVs and internet connexions in all seats - what value is this on a 1 hour sector?

I hope that Solomon Lew doesn't do to Ansett what he did to Coles Myer, and remember what happened to Ansett under its last transport magnate http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Cheers,

Justin

Gaza Nov 9, 2001 3:24 am

RichardMel

Obviously a fan of "The Castle"!!!

RichardMEL Nov 9, 2001 8:59 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

Ual Emp Nov 9, 2001 1:27 pm

Why can't people be more positive. Lets support Ansett and Its new owners and stop all these *****y remarks. Of course if you would rather have Qantas and Qantas alone in our skies then thats your business, but dont complain about the fares they will be charging and the terrible customer service agents on the phone and at check in................

Good on you Mr. Fox and Mr. Lew.

Clement Lowe Nov 9, 2001 7:44 pm

It is dreaming and it is "Castle" based. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

For them to have 55% share, they'd need 70+ A320's, maybe even 80+. Or add A330's.

Ual Emp, we all love AN but the frills they want to offer are just not worthwhile for the markets they will serve. Email might be attractive, but SQ are bailing out, even though claim it's a provider problem.

There's a touch of JetBlue about all this...even down to the A320's...

Clement

RichardMEL Nov 9, 2001 11:49 pm

UAL Emp - with the exception of QATW, everyone who contributes to any thread on this board fully suppports AN. I need to go to BNE soon. The first place I looked was AN.

The problem is that saying they want 55% market share is all very well and good, but I just don't see how they could manage it. Anyway market share isn't the key - *yields* are the key, and the only way they can get decent yields is to get the corporates flying them on full Y and J fares. QF has gobbled up all those corporates faster than you can say "Toomey" - they started to bail big time prior to last December's 767 grounding, then even more so with the Easter fiasco, and it was all over red rover when AN shut the door. These road warriors need a reliable transport service, not one that comes and goes (for whateve rreason). Now that QF has them all in the fold, what can AN possibly do, short of massivley undercutting its own yields with disgusting discount programs, etc, to win even some of those back (let alone those who throw up their arms and say 'it's all too hard').

There's nothing I love more than to see the gorgeous golden "A" and stars on the tail of an aircraft, and I want to support AN as much as I can, but there's reality and fantasy land. 20% I can see AN doing, but 55% really has to be "Castle" territory.

And having suffered at the hands of Air Canada I'm well aware of what a QF dominated domestic scene we'll have if AN go away totally and DJ remain smallish fry.

Of course, that is all IMHO.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

[This message has been edited by RichardMEL (edited 11-09-2001).]

QantasAllTheWay Nov 10, 2001 6:03 pm

Hey hey, lets make this clear. I support AN being there, even though i do not fly it myself. Lets be realistic - if AN is not there and QF have a monopoly, its gonna be just like canada and 70% of people could not afford to fly.

I suppose 55% is a long term goal. Its ok in business to set long term goals, even though i suspect this one is a bit far flung.

QantasAllTheWay Nov 10, 2001 6:06 pm

Oh, and another thing - unlike the AN fans who convinced themselves over the years that QF is evil, i dont think that of AN. I thought they were mismanaged over the years, that they provided an inferior service (domestic and intl) and that QF was a true aussie airline as opposed to kiwi owned (and we all know how that ended up).

Now obviously that facts have changed. AN is aussie again and i wish it well.

bers Nov 10, 2001 8:30 pm

And how much publicity would they have gotten by saying we're aiming for 15%.

And as for the corporates, I am guessing that with the business connections that these two have they should be able to pull some strings.

BTW - can someone remind me what happened to Lew at CML? I can't remember what the problem was but every time I hear his name my brain reminds me "he's the guy wo did something really bad at CML".

Skystar Nov 11, 2001 10:26 pm

Qantas having better service than Ansett International.

Bah!

Cheers,

Justin

bers Nov 12, 2001 6:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Skystar:
Qantas having better service than Ansett International.</font>
That raises a good point Justin.... will Fox/Lew get Ansett International and most importantly its slots? I haven't seen it mentioned (no suprise given the stellar heights of new coverage in this country.

744 Nov 12, 2001 7:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Skystar:
Qantas having better service than Ansett International.

Bah!

Cheers,

Justin
</font>
In your humble opinion of course, Justin

QantasAllTheWay Nov 12, 2001 5:42 pm

C'mon, talking about AN as an intl airline is a joke. flying to 2 or 3 intl destinations is laughable. plus those were SQ planes, so its not like AN came up with the PTVs and the other stuff.

RichardMEL Nov 12, 2001 8:40 pm

PTV's do not make great service. Every AN International flight I have been on (And I have done HKG-SYD v.v and KIX-BNE) have had great crews, yummy food, better pitch and genuine service - and this was Y class.

I'd compare BNE-SYD on AN International with the recent MEL-SYD I did on QF "International" (QF3) but QF would come out as so inferior, that there's really no point.

AN International didn't win all those awards (not just for J) for nothing. One could argue that AN Domestic and QF Domestic were fairly equivalent, but I'd be willing to bet that flying AN SYD-HKG vs. QF would have been a no brainer. AN vs. CX's 3 class may have been tougher, but the aussie crews always were so nice to come to.

It is sad that AN International is totally dead, because many good people worked for them and provided great service.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.