Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Ansett Australian Global Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amazed-Sydney Airport-Ansett & Star Alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2001, 12:06 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

Walking up the stairs from the Train station at Syd today I noticed the screens for departures for Ansett and Qantas.

Happy as I was that Ansett was flying again, it stunned me that three screen had LARGE Star Alliance symbols displayed.

Surely Ansett 2 is non-Star.

(edited for an error!)

[This message has been edited by Markie (edited 10-17-2001).]
Old Oct 16, 2001, 1:10 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Markie:
Happy as I was that Qantas was flying again</font>
Errr... don't you mean Ansett??? ;D
Old Oct 17, 2001, 9:35 am

Ansett has never NOT been a part of the Star Alliance since the stupid debarcle happened. We are still a member albeit not recognised as far as points and GR, GW etc. We are still here.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 3:54 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AN@SYD:
We are still a member albeit not recognised as far as points and GR, GW etc. We are still here.</font>
Ansett is no longer listed on Star RTW fares either. To say they're still a member, when they no longer have any of the benefits of membership, is splitting hairs.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 11:03 pm

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Actually, AN's membership in Star Alliance is sort of "on hold" - see the Star Alliance website and "flashing" AN logo. Don't forget AN*S/*G still get those privs where they fly, and AN Tix (GR and normal) issued prior 14 Sep are still valid on * airlines - so to that extent they are still a part member. Current flights, of course, are not.

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.
Old Oct 21, 2001, 6:40 am

That's what I thought, but the friendly Qantas staff member doing duty on TG check-in at Mascot didn't seem to agree. As a *G member, went to that queue (where no-one else was waiting) to check in. Showed my AN *G card but, when she saw that, the smile came off her face and she said "We don't recognise this card any more." After I protested she offered to process me this time. However, when I asked for some sticky tape due to a loose piece on my luggage, she said that she didn't have any, and couldn't accept that as it was (and then extended on a story that it would have to go in a bag, which some airlines sell, but TG don't, so she couldn't accept it at all). It's the poorest check-in service I've had as a regular passenger, let alone *G, but I guess she was Qantas and old habits die hard. (Sorry, but recent reports have not improved my impression of them.) Fortunately, service with all other Star Alliance partners subsequently in the journey has been impeccable. BTW, how come Qantas staff were on duty there? Was it Ansett previously, and they're the only available replacements? It just seemed quite odd to have such competitors providing service...

[This message has been edited by manfred (edited 10-21-2001).]
Old Oct 21, 2001, 6:57 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
QF have done ground handling for both TG and SQ for years, and for some reason that never changed despite the alliances (in a similar vein, AN handled CX...). The QF agent was wrong, and she should have acted as a TG agent anyway. Star Alliance still accepts AN status cards as per their site - of course you can't tell that to someone like that as they won't believe you, but they should.

Reminds me of checking in for TG flight at PER. I forgot QF handled TG so went to the AN International checkin (which has a big Star Alliance board, and a TG logo!!) and they said no go to QF, so I went there and that was fine, then I was told I could use the QF Club ! I went there and they didn't want to let me in with my UA*G card ("You're from the other alliance") - not until i reminded them that they handle TG in PER and I was allowed in under the agreement that they eventually relented and let me in. The club was empty !
Old Oct 21, 2001, 11:51 pm

Location: SYD: Fly and fly... UA UGS 1K MM, SQ PPS, SPG/PC Platinum
Manfred, it's TG!

I have never had any pleasure with TG's ground crew in SYD over the last 5 years. Always picky with this and that during the check-in process. This applies to their supervisor also (non-QF staff).

If you can choose b/n the two, go with SQ. It's a far far better bet in my experience.

------------------
Cheers,
W

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.