Two Ansett pilots kill themselves

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2001, 10:08 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Two Ansett pilots have taken their lives since the collapse of the nation's second largest airline.

The Sun-Herald has learnt that both pilots were captains.

One was already on stress leave from the airline when he took his life.

The other, a Sydney man and the father of two adult children, gassed himself in his car after Ansett's crash.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/0110/07/n...ational10.html
---

How very sad. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
Old Oct 6, 2001, 9:42 pm

Thank God they didn't kill passengers with them.

I am horrified that such mentally unstable people were hired as airline pilots. If they willingly end their lives despite the responsibility for their families, how are they going to deal with inflight emergencies, with lives of hundreds of pax depending on them? If a plane runs out of fuel over the Atlantic, would such pilots simply kill themselves? Very comforting to think http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Suicides seem to be a common problem among pilots. There were several crashes and near crashes caused by suicides, do we need more? I think it's time for a mandatory psychological testing for all airline pilots. I know it is done in some European countries before hiring pilots. Are there similar tests in Australia?

My thoughts are with their families.

[This message has been edited by cockpitvisit (edited 10-06-2001).]
Old Oct 7, 2001, 1:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I don't think we can say much other than how terribly sad this is; and how depressed these poor men must have been to have contemplated and carried out their suicides.

I don;t wish to judge them.
Old Oct 7, 2001, 2:11 am

cockpit visit (of which there will be no more)

The person concerned (only one despite the incorrect press reports) had been with the company many many years. I dont think he was suicidal way back when he was employed, do you.
Old Oct 7, 2001, 7:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I dont think he was suicidal way back when he was employed, do you.
</font>
I am sure he wasn't, but I am still worried if he could handle difficult circumstances properly.
Old Oct 7, 2001, 8:12 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cockpitvisit:
I am sure he wasn't, but I am still worried if he could handle difficult circumstances properly.</font>
I agree - the average person would not kill themselves if they lost their job. But (and a big but at that) it is very tough to know what is going inside some people's heads.
Old Oct 7, 2001, 5:41 pm

I agree.

The average person would not do this after losing ones job.

But in a company of 16,000 people, sadly it is bound to happen.

Said person was apparently under other pressures beyond work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.