Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Did any Select/+ Member Get Extra Upgrade/Companion Coupons this Summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

In past summers, Amtrak has offered additional free upgrade and/or companion certs to Select Plus (and maybe Select) members. I haven't received an offer this summer, although I'm not a truly hi-rev customer.

Has anyone gotten such extra certs this summer, or just the 4 upgrade and 2 companion certs in the original package, back in February?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Nothing here, and I always got the extra goodies in previous summers, usually in July IIRC. I had actually forgotten about those pleasant surprises till you just brought up their absence this year!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: BA GfL
Yes, I did (I am Select). I think it was about a month ago. Very welcome too, since I had just used up all my upgrade coupons!
Old Sep 1, 2009, 7:59 am

I did as well. Was already pretty close to S+ requal at the time.

ivk5
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: UA 1K_MM, AA EX_PLT Hyatt/Hilton Dia, Mar Gold, IHG PLT, Amtrak S++, Hertz 5Star, Avis First
My friend wxguy, an S+, didn't.

I was an S, and did. I have since qualified for S+.

Are we seeing a pattern here?
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by JT_BOS
My friend wxguy, an S+, didn't.

I was an S, and did. I have since qualified for S+.

Are we seeing a pattern here?
My friend JT_BOS, an S, did.

I was an S+, and didn't. I am about to qualify for S+ again.

Yes, I see a pattern here.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 4:45 pm

Well, I was a 2009 S+ and on my way to requalifying for 2010 and I did get them. I had already cleared the 5K mark when I received them, although who knows where I was at when they ran the mystery algorithm.

ivk5
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ivk5
Well, I was a 2009 S+ and on my way to requalifying for 2010 and I did get them. I had already cleared the 5K mark when I received them, although who knows where I was at when they ran the mystery algorithm.

ivk5
As an S+, I haven't yet cleared the 5K mark for 2010 requal. Maybe that is/was a precondition for the coupons. Also, no private double/triple points offer for me this year, perhaps because I've had a few low-end trips most months.

I think I'll call AGR about the coupons, just in case they got misplaced in the mail. Others may want to do the same.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AGR SE, SPG Platinum, HH Gold, MR Gold
S+ this year, will re-qualify next yr (less of a FormerAmtrakTraveler than I want), didn't get anything this summer.

S+ last year, got something last year.

S+ year before that, got something that year too.

Being penalized for being S+ this year!??! That's wrong.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:02 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I requalified for S+ in June and did not receive any extra coupons. Ah well..
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Explore
As an S+, I haven't yet cleared the 5K mark for 2010 requal. Maybe that is/was a precondition for the coupons. Also, no private double/triple points offer for me this year, perhaps because I've had a few low-end trips most months.
Do you only need 5k points to requal for S+? (I just hit S+ this year, for the first time.)
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by drmoze
Do you only need 5k points to requal for S+? (I just hit S+ this year, for the first time.)
Not true. You need a full 10k to re-qualify for S+.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 6:27 pm

FormerAmtrakTraveler is correct. As a 2010 S+ you'll requal at the same levels as everyone else for 2011. So in 2010 when you clear 5K you'll earn S for 2011 and when you clear 10K you'll earn S+ for 2011.

ivk5

Last edited by ivk5; Sep 8, 2009 at 7:07 pm Reason: clarity
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: WN A List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I'm an S+ and am now just 68 points away from requalifying for 2010. Been S+ since the level was started and this is the first time that I have not received any extra upgrade coupons during the year. Glad that others got them, but would love to get a few more myself.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rtgdoc
I'm an S+ and am now just 68 points away from requalifying for 2010. Been S+ since the level was started and this is the first time that I have not received any extra upgrade coupons during the year. Glad that others got them, but would love to get a few more myself.
Sounds like an uncaught bug of some form. Surely their intent is not to penalize S+. Going to write in and see what's up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.