Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary WiFi on Acela

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Thats true but it still costs money and I'm a poor college student. I thought people were getting connection to this one WIFI router that always came on my screen when I searched for open routers.... But it never worked for me... So I thought it worked for others :-/
Not exactly sure how it is on Acela, but on Amtrak trains you will sometimes see a wireless network pop up. However, it is strictly for the use of the POS (Point Of Sale) devices (credit card terminals in the cafe and diner, for example) on the train and is only accessible to those devices. As you found out, if you try to connect to it, your connection will fail.

Likely they either had data cards or were tethering through their phones.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Ah no wonder... Never though of the POS devices... :-/ Thanks for clarifying that up guys.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, HY Diamond, ZE Pres
I just traveled NYP-WAS-NYP a week ago on Acela, and didn't see any wifi come up on my laptop. My Verizon USB modem worked just fine the whole trip.

I had tried AT&T's USB modem (since I already have an account with AT&T with my iPhone), but found the service sucked. Weak to non-existent on the train in Penn Station and Philadelphia, frequent disconnects, and generally slow when it did work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.