Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What if I miss my train?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 6:23 am
Original Poster

What if I miss my train?

Sorry if this is a common question but I couldn't find an answer in the archives;

I've purchased an Amtrak ticket from PHL to EWR for travel next week. There's a possibility I might not make it in time for the train I've booked.

Just curious about Amtrak's policy if I show up for the train that departs just after the one I've booked?

I used a AAA discount code.

Thanks.

Tipsy
Old May 27, 2008, 6:34 am
SWG

You will need to go to the ticket window and exchange tickets for a later train. There will be no penalty, but they'll charge you for any difference in fare, and you'll lose the AAA discount too since most discounts require a 3-day advance purchase.
There is also the slight risk that the next train could be sold out.
Old May 27, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
The official policy is that you will have to buy a ticket for the next available train at whatever bucket it's currently priced at (usually pretty close to the highest bucket for same day travel).

That said, I have been able to talk my way into exchanging my ticket for a later/earlier train and not have to pay any difference.

Either way, you'll be able to get a complete refund on the missed train if you haven't printed the ticket, or if you have printed it, use it towards the next train's fare.
Old May 27, 2008, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

I haven't printed the ticket yet. If I miss my train, I'll head straight to the ticket window.

Tipsy
Old May 27, 2008, 7:54 am

Programs: BA GfL
Excellent that you have not yet printed the ticket. I am in this position on a regular basis and do the following: if it looks like you are going to miss your train, even if it's ten (or two) minutes before the train leaves, call 800-USA-RAIL on your cell phone, say "AGENT," and change your ticket to the next train. Yes, you will most likely lose your AAA discount, but you will get a new booking right away and not have to bother with standing in line at the ticket window. You just pick up the new ticket at the Quik-Trak machine, which will "know" about the change instantly.

For this reason I also ALWAYS buy my tickets as one-ways, not RTs. If you need to change one leg of the trip, it is far easier to do it via phone/Quik-Trak than by standing at the window, which would be necessary if you had paper tickets in hand.
Old May 27, 2008, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelmad478
if it looks like you are going to miss your train, even if it's ten (or two) minutes before the train leaves, call 800-USA-RAIL on your cell phone, say "AGENT," and change your ticket to the next train.
Great to know.

Thanks very much!

Tipsy
Old May 27, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
I almost never make the train i am scheduled for. Thank goodness it is so easy to change on Amtrak.

BTW, is this the same tipsy from FFA?
Old May 27, 2008, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njxbean
BTW, is this the same tipsy from FFA?
I'm guessing not as I have no idea what FFA is?

First hit on Google says Future Farmers of America. Not too many farms in Manhattan

Or do you mean Kill Devil Hills airport in NC?

Tipsy
Old May 27, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
I'm guessing not as I have no idea what FFA is?

First hit on Google says Future Farmers of America. Not too many farms in Manhattan

Or do you mean Kill Devil Hills airport in NC?

Tipsy
LMAO..... no i was referring to a Fantasy football forum. SOmeone has the same handle.

"kill devil hills airport", hope i never pass through there!
Old May 27, 2008, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by njxbean
LMAO..... no i was referring to a Fantasy football forum. SOmeone has the same handle.

"kill devil hills airport", hope i never pass through there!
LOL...nope, not me.

I'm a long suffering Jets fan...but not too into the fantasy thing

Tipsy
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:23 pm

Question, if I miss my train (and don't change the ticket) will the points still post?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:05 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
No, your ticket has to be scanned by train personnel for the points to post.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:04 pm

Sorry to revive this old thread, but was wondering if people had an update on Amtrak's policy here. I know they change their refund terms a little while ago.

I'm looking to book a train after a flight into EWR so there is a chance I could miss the flight if the plane is late (I'm leaving plenty of time, but still).

Thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
With the advent of e-ticketing, your ticket will be void with all value forfeited if you miss your train. I believe the Flexible fare option lets you get a refund if you miss the train, but I'm not 100% sure if this is true. This information is from this page. Notice that the wording "If not canceled before the scheduled departure from the origin ("no show"), the entire amount is forfeited and cannot be applied toward future travel." is NOT present under the Flexible option.

If you are flying United, you may want to book your train ticket with your air tickets. That way, if your flight is late, United may protect you by rebooking you onto a later train. The following Amtrak stations can be booked as a United codeshare from EWR:

"Airport" Code - Station Name
ZVE - New Haven, CT
ZTF - Stamford, CT
ZFV - Philadelphia 30th st Station, PA
ZWI - Wilmington, DE

If you're traveling beyond any of these stations you can book a separate ticket from Amtrak on the same train from that station to your destination.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 11:03 pm

Great info. Arriving in SFO and planning to take BART over to Richmond to catch the train.

I am planning to use points to redeem my ticket from Richmond, ca (RIC) to Sacramento (SAC). Since I am not sure the exact time I can get to richmond, do you think it's a good idea to book a later train and switch over to the earlier train at the station/over the phone? Or just use points to book it when I am there?

Recommendations? Thanks in advanced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.