Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Amtrak travel in 3 years, lose all your miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Kpseed,

The one issue that I see is the order in which the tickets post; which is something that you cannot control either. If the paid ticket posts first, then everything would be fine. However, if the award ticket posts first, then the computer will automatically award zero points for the "second" paid ticket since you would be in its mind in violation of the rules.

I would think/hope that any agent would agree with this, but I of course cannot guarantee that they will indeed override the computer and give you those needed points.

If the costs aren't too different, it might just be easier to book the award out of CHI to EFG and pay MKE-CHI just to avoid the hassle and possible loss of points if they reject things on you.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Alan,

Thanks for the information. I have looked at my account and see it no longer posts 0 points for award tickets used so I wasn’t sure how those are handled.

Dave

ALSO: Does anyone have any advice on the Milwaukee station and/or traveling on the Hiawatha? I see that they do not have business class but do have a quiet car. Is this worth trying to get to? Is this car more crowded than coach?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:32 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by nerd
No, that's not correct. There's the 2nd condition:

If no Amtrak travel is purchased, recorded or reported within a 3-year period, or if you do not make and honor an Amtrak travel reservation within this timeframe, your points will expire.
Originally Posted by Upstate
I think AGR hired some cheap lawyers they saw on a late night uhf tv advertisement to write their t&C. The words don't work right, but the idea is buy a ticket and use it every three years or your points expire.
Looks like one of Amtrak's summer interns rewrote the AGR T&Cs. The October 1 version finally makes some sense:

D. POINT EXPIRATION

Subject to the terms of this TOC, Points earned under the Program will not expire as long as the Program continues and the Member travels on Amtrak using their Membership Number within a 36-month period.

If no paid Amtrak travel is recorded or reported within 36 months, your points will expire. You can view all Point and Travel activity in the "Recent Transactions" section of MyAmtrak on this site.

Points earned under the Program will not expire if the member is an active cardholder of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 1:21 pm
Pup

Originally Posted by gatelouse
Points earned under the Program will not expire if the member is an active cardholder of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® World MasterCard® issued by Chase Bank.[/i]
So what exactly is an "active" cardholder? Just anyone with a valid card that they use occasionally, or does the card need to be used for purchasing Amtrak tickets?

My wife and I both have Amtrak cards that we use for other purchases, then use the points for free AGR tickets for long trips, so we never actually buy train tickets, but we're certainly "active" cardholders. Fortunately we live where we can buy a $7.50 ticket for a short ride every three years if need be, but if just using the cards is enough...
Old Nov 6, 2010, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Pup
So what exactly is an "active" cardholder? Just anyone with a valid card that they use occasionally, or does the card need to be used for purchasing Amtrak tickets?

My wife and I both have Amtrak cards that we use for other purchases, then use the points for free AGR tickets for long trips, so we never actually buy train tickets, but we're certainly "active" cardholders. Fortunately we live where we can buy a $7.50 ticket for a short ride every three years if need be, but if just using the cards is enough...
I would assume as long as you earn at least 1 point from the AGR card every 3 years, you're fine, regardless whether it's a stick of gum or a train ticket.
Old Nov 6, 2010, 6:37 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
I would assume as long as you earn at least 1 point from the AGR card every 3 years, you're fine, regardless whether it's a stick of gum or a train ticket.
I'd agree. If points post from a AGR MasterCard on a regular basis, that should count as "active." Their computers may very well be programmed so that both Amtrak transactions and credit card purchases reset the 3-year window.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 2:17 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Just got the e-mail that my points will expire. I only have 755 points (earned from ZipCar), and no plans for train travel anytime soon, so I'm guessing it's not worth the effort to keep the points alive.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:58 pm

So there is no page anywhere that gives the rules?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:29 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by LuvAirFrance
So there is no page anywhere that gives the rules?
You can find them here.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 9:21 pm

Great! I'll bookmark it.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:10 pm
In Memoriam

Great! I'll bookmark it.
When you head to the AGR page, the link to the Terms & Conditions is right down at the bottom of the page in the middle.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:28 pm

Love trains. Always have. As a kid, I lived in houses close to train tracks, grew up to the sound of the clickety clack as they went by. Played on and around tracks. I wonder if there are many like me still around.
Old Mar 5, 2011, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Love trains. Always have. As a kid, I lived in houses close to train tracks, grew up to the sound of the clickety clack as they went by. Played on and around tracks. I wonder if there are many like me still around.
Yup!

(Although I quit playing on the tracks after working for the Alaska Railroad, where train safety was drilled and beaten into my head... )
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:19 am

"Train safety" What is that? One thing I remember doing was laying my ear on the track because someone had told me that in the Old West they could tell a train was coming by doiing that. Never did confirm that theory. But it shows how fascinating I found that mode of transporation when I was a grade school kid.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Train safety" What is that? One thing I remember doing was laying my ear on the track because someone had told me that in the Old West they could tell a train was coming by doiing that. Never did confirm that theory. But it shows how fascinating I found that mode of transporation when I was a grade school kid.
http://www.oli.org/

(Rail safety would be a better term.)

Basically:

Trains are silent.
Trains are deadly.
Expect movement on any track, at any time, and from any direction.

Walking on or between the rails is one of the most dangerous things a railroad employee or person near train tracks can do.

Before I worked for the railroad, though, I once did as you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.