Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Maple Leaf Service when crossing the border

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VX Gold; UA Silver (BLAH!); HHonors Diamond

I'm trying to find out what my experience would be like when I cross the border on the Maple Leaf. Is this truly a one seat ride from New York Penn or is the train on the Canadian side operated by VIA on VIA equipment requiring a physical change in trains or cars? I'm confused because Amtrak is offering "Business" class fares for a $1 upgrade on the Canadian side and if its on VIA equipment - isn't that kind of meaningless with the exception of the business class refund policy since VIA (from their website) doesnt claim to offer any such service on their end for the route? Neither VIA's website nor Amtrak's site really describe the handling of this very well.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,
I've never been on this route before, but there's a past thread that might help. Maybe read through them and then post with questions based on it:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=547274

Also, this thread, specifically post 5, may be of interest (even though it is mostly about using points to purchase a reward ticket):
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620237
Old Dec 6, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: Peon in all
The ML is the same train (cars and I believe loco) from NYP to Toronto. The only "change" is that from NYP to Niagara Falls, NY it is operated by Amtrak, and from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Toronto it is operated by Via Rail. There is no change of trains.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 7:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by the_traveler
The ML is the same train (cars and I believe loco) from NYP to Toronto. The only "change" is that from NYP to Niagara Falls, NY it is operated by Amtrak, and from Niagara Falls, Ontario to Toronto it is operated by Via Rail. There is no change of trains.
Correct, you do not need to change trains on the Maple Leaf when riding from NY to Toronto. The entire train, including the engine runs through to Toronto. Of course they still change the engine in Albany, but no change at the Canadian border. Canadian customs will board the train in Niagara Falls, Ontario and clear everyone without leaving their seats, assuming that all their paperwork is in order.

The Amtrak crews gets off the train in Niagara Falls, ON and VIA rail crews take over at that point. And by crews I mean both the operating crew (engineer & conductors) as well as the on board service crew (namely the cafe attendant. In fact VIA boards its own food at this point, giving one an opportunity to buy something that one normally can't ever get on an Amtrak train, that being Coca-Cola. Amtrak is a Pepsi product user, unless a State pays for the service, in which case they can set the menu.

So to the OP, that $1 for a BC seat buys you the rather nice faux-leather seat with foot rest and calf rest that one finds in the Club-Dinette car. This car also offers the 2 & 1 seating, so the seats are much nicer and roomier than normal coach seating. The cafe is the other half of the car, so the walk is real short.

Last edited by AlanB; Dec 6, 2007 at 8:03 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 7, 2007, 3:24 pm

Customs Procedure Antiquated

About 1 hour at 0 miles per hour is provided for the customs and immigration check, sometimes longer. Very antiquated by modern standards (see Europe); even trains from East Germany were rarely delayed by more than 20 minutes.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I don't understand why they can't do it like they did on the Sibelius train between Helsinki and St. Petersburg (and we all know that Russia definitely doesn't like visitors--it's harder than heck to get in that country). The customs inspectors were loaded on at the last stop before the border, inspected the people while the train traveled to the next stop, and then got off. (Presumably they did this all day going back and forth between those two stops.) Granted, there's not a lot of time between the two stops on this run, but it still seems like a much more efficient way of doing things.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by AlanB
Correct, you do not need to change trains on the Maple Leaf when riding from NY to Toronto. The entire train, including the engine runs through to Toronto. Of course they still change the engine in Albany, but no change at the Canadian border. Canadian customs will board the train in Niagara Falls, Ontario and clear everyone without leaving their seats, assuming that all their paperwork is in order.

The Amtrak crews gets off the train in Niagara Falls, ON and VIA rail crews take over at that point. And by crews I mean both the operating crew (engineer & conductors) as well as the on board service crew (namely the cafe attendant.
Second everything AlanB says... took the Maple Leaf with the wife to Niagara Falls this past summer. Business Class is definately worth the money, 2 by 1 seating, only 12 Business Class seats.

For that $1... there must have been some people that upgraded on the way back from Toronto to Niagara Falls, Canada. On the return trip, we had gotten onboard, and all the Business Class seats were full. The conductor had to instruct some of the passengers that were seated that they had to then move back to Coach. At first, I thought they overbooked.

Customs is slow... instead of them releasing you once you've been "interviewed" by customs, you have to sit tight and wait for the entire train to be screened.

Good trip overall though.

S/F
-John
Old Dec 19, 2007, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hilton (D)
ML to NFL - cross CBN on foot reboard - stupid ?

Anyone try the ML to Niagara Falls, NY, disembark, cross the border by foot, then reboard at Niagara Falls Ontario ? I noticed the nearby Whirlpool bridge is used ony for pre-screened Nexus users and not available for general foot traffic. Just curious as Amtrak does not allow the AAA discount when taking the ML all the way to Toronto. But the price falls if going to NFL only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.