Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

What kind of seats and power outlets NYP-CHI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:06 pm
dpb
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards SelectPlus

I'm quite comfortable working on the regional trains between NYP and WAS, and have been thinking of taking a trip from New York to Chicago, probably on train 49, the Lake Shore Limited. Where can I read about what the trip is like?

I imagine the seats are quite different - they seem to allow much great reclining angles.

Are there power outlets for each seat so that I can work while I'm riding?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I not personally familiar with the Amfleet coaches used on Regionals, but the word around here is that long-distance Amfleet coaches (which is what is used on the LSL) are indeed much more comfortable, with a greater reclining angle and a lot more room between the seats.

If the LSL is anything like the Cardinal and Crescent, two trains I took in August that use the Amfleet equipment, power outlets are hit or miss depending on when the car was last refurbished. Some cars have two outlets per pair of seats, some have one, and some cars have a few wallplates scattered around the car (presumably for the cleaning crew to operate their vacuums when the train is being cleaned at the final terminal). Power outlets are not a guaranteed benefit on any long-distance trains--it's just a nice surprise to get then when you do.

One other thing I've gathered from around here is that the LSL is one of the worst on-time performers in the eastern half of Amtrak's system (thanks to scheduling delays by the host railroad--in this case, I believe it's CSX--since outside the NEC, Amtrak doesn't own most of the track it runs on), so I wouldn't take it if you have any concrete plans within several hours of the scheduled arrival in Chicago. (Check the site www.amtrakdelays.com and put in train 49 arriving in CHI and you'll see--it appears to consistently be anywhere from an hour to four hours late.) For on-time performance, a better option might be routing through DC and taking the Capitol Limited. I can't even suggest it would be worth putting up with the delays for the scenery, since it traverses all of its namesake lake shore at night. But if time isn't a factor, go for it!

Oh, and as far as reading what the trip is like, there have been some sporadic comments around here (use the search function and search for "Lake Shore Limited"), but for more comprehensive reports, dedicated railfan sites will be your best bet. Two that our friend AlanB helps run would probably be good resources (sorry, Alan, the names escape me now--On Track On Line is one, I think, and the other is...well, my mind is blanking...sorry, I've meant to visit them and check them out but haven't gotten around to it!), but the easiest bet will probably be to do something like google "Lake Shore Limited trip report" or something.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Those sites that jackal mentioned are Amtrak Unlimited and On Track On Line.

Yes, the LD coaches are completely different and much more comfortable than the Regionals. I too would second the suggestion to take a Regional to DC and take the Capitol Limited. Besides not being in Amfleet coaches, the CL uses Superliner coaches!

Last edited by the_traveler; Nov 14, 2007 at 7:04 pm
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
The Capitol Limited's on time record is only a little better than the Lake Shore Limited's record. Both run the first part of their trips from the East Coast on CSX tracks, both then end up on Norfolk Southern tracks basically from Ohio west to Chicago.

Both freight Co's seem to contribute to making both trains late.

Either train is a decent choice for heading west to Chicago, but on both getting power at your seat will be largely hit or miss. If power is extremely important, then you may wish to consider getting a sleeper where you will have a power outlet in your room. Also note that meals are included in the price of the sleeper, so that does help to ofset the cost a bit.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:42 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
FWIW, the LSL has a nice view of the Hudson Valley as it heads north from NYC. I've taken both LSL and Capitol within the past year; had AC at the seat on LSL but not Capitol -- but on the Capitol, I was able to find AC easily on the lower level of the cafe car. Then again, my LSL was only slightly late while the Capitol was eight hours late.

YMMV aboard Amtrak, but at least you'll have a good story to tell.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Thanks, the_traveler, for the sites. Alan, I've visited them and registered. Hopefully I'll find occasion to post soon...
Originally Posted by AlanB
Either train is a decent choice for heading west to Chicago, but on both getting power at your seat will be largely hit or miss. If power is extremely important, then you may wish to consider getting a sleeper where you will have a power outlet in your room.
I think the chances of getting a power outlet are higher on the LSL, as I'm not sure how many (if any) of the Superliner cars (double deck cars used mostly on western routes) have been renovated to include power outlets at each seat. On every Superliner car I've been in on the west coast and the ones I saw when I was on the CapLim ij AUgust, the only power outlets are the two or so wall plates at each car (I was fortunate enough to be assigned a seat one row in front of the outlet, and the gentleman behind me was gracious enough to let me string my power cord behind the seat and into the plug).

At least on the LSL, which uses the single-level Amfleet equipment but much of which has been renovated, there is a decent chance of getting a car with outlets at each seat.

I could be wrong on the Superliners, though--this is just my limited knowledge and experience...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.