Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

8,000 Points Chase AGR Credit Card Offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

8,000 Points Chase AGR Credit Card Offer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2007, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhilaBurbTom
If you want to know if Chase has approved you and you applied last week call 888-215-3049 press option 2. The recording then tells you you should have the card in about 10 days.
Thanks for this number. I applied on the 10th, got the 30 days message like other people are reporting, and, as of today, I'm 'approved'. (Though it was still pending when I called on Thursday--and I applied on the 10th.)
Old Sep 22, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Received the card today. The activation sticker did not want to come off. Left lots of sticky residue and some of the paper on the card. No AGR number, either.

Interestingly, I received new cards with new account numbers for my other MasterCard today as well. It seems my card number "was involved in a merchant data breach" but they are not allowed to disclose the merchant for "security reasons."

If I had pressed the guy I'm pretty sure either DHS or TSA would have come up as the "security reason."
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
my card number "was involved in a merchant data breach" but they are not allowed to disclose the merchant for "security reasons."
The security of the merchant from cardholder lawsuits, perhaps.

The ever-increasing practice of citing nebulous "security reasons" is most annoying.
Old Sep 22, 2007, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
The security of the merchant from cardholder lawsuits, perhaps.

The ever-increasing practice of citing nebulous "security reasons" is most annoying.
All I wanted to know was which merchant so I could ponder what other data they might have had that could be in the hands of less-than-reputable people. The customer "service" rep kept insisting the only database affected was the one containing credit card numbers. No way my name, address, phone number could have possibly been involved. sigh.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
It's especially egregious when you consider that they likely ARE giving details to all of their California customers, pursuant to a state law, so they can't exactly claim the breach is top secret.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by William2005
It's especially egregious when you consider that they likely ARE giving details to all of their California customers, pursuant to a state law, so they can't exactly claim the breach is top secret.
you could change the card address to one in California and call back
Old Oct 2, 2007, 1:30 pm

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
Originally Posted by PhilaBurbTom
Applied on the first day they accepted the e-mail applications (9/10 I think). Card arrived today. Only complaint is that the AGR number is not embossed or printed on the card.
What's really bad/tacky is that there is actually a field for "member number" that is blank on the card. How hard could it have been to get the AGR number on it like they do for their other airline cards (e.g. Chase Mileage Plus Visa)?
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tj722
What's really bad/tacky is that there is actually a field for "member number" that is blank on the card. How hard could it have been to get the AGR number on it like they do for their other airline cards (e.g. Chase Mileage Plus Visa)?
I think the old MBNA card had the AGR number on it. Not impressed at all with the current lack of it, or with the 9-month gestation time for this new credit card.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Received the card today. The activation sticker did not want to come off. Left lots of sticky residue and some of the paper on the card. No AGR number, either.
Applied for my card on 9/13 and received it on 9/27 with no AGR number. But the sticker easily peeled off with no residue at all.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 8:42 am
Suspended

I applied for this CC months ago when AGR emailed me about the 8k and preapproval for it. As of yet I havent received it nor heard anything about it.

Has anyone who also signed up back when received their CC? As a fee free CC and a World CC to boot, it should cover my CDW in a few countries where only a World MC CC will.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by craz
I applied for this CC months ago when AGR emailed me about the 8k and preapproval for it. As of yet I havent received it nor heard anything about it.
As far as I understand, the e-mail you received way back then was not an actual application, just a sign-up form to "pre-register", whatever that means. I only got an e-mail asking me to officially apply for the card in mid-September--I did this online and have received the card already.
Old Oct 8, 2007, 9:46 pm
dpb

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards SelectPlus
Originally Posted by Explore
I think the old MBNA card had the AGR number on it. Not impressed at all with the current lack of it, or with the 9-month gestation time for this new credit card.
Yes, that's right. It was punched into the bottom of the card - mine was done so sloppily that two of the numbers were illegible.

What good exactly does it do us to have the number on the card? Select and Select Plus membership can change from year to year, so you still need the regular AGR card. Amtrak's database knows when you use the credit card what your number is. What's so important about having the number on the card?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by dpb
What good exactly does it do us to have the number on the card? Select and Select Plus membership can change from year to year, so you still need the regular AGR card. Amtrak's database knows when you use the credit card what your number is. What's so important about having the number on the card?
I did have a ticket agent refuse to put my number on the reservation unless I showed him the card. He was OK looking at the MBNA credit card already in his hand with the number printed on it. If he had still refused I just would have called reservations immediately after ticketing and asked them to put it on the record, hopefully within earshot of the guy.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 9:14 am

Programs: United MP (Platinum), AS (75K), AA (GM)
Originally Posted by dpb
You're right, it really doesn't make a difference... I guess sometimes it might be easier to read the number off of the Chase card when printing a ticket (tho with the new machines I don't think this is possible anymore) or doing a reservation online. But either way, it is sloppy to have the label there and not the number imprinted.
Old Oct 9, 2007, 2:58 pm
dpb

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards SelectPlus
I did have a ticket agent refuse to put my number on the reservation unless I showed him the card.
Ticket agents not infrequently forget to put my number on my ticket even when I put the AGR card right into their hands, and sometimes even when I mention it to them. I don't know what the answer is...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.