Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Does Amtrak realize it's too expensive?

Does Amtrak realize it's too expensive?

Old Apr 19, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by AlanB
I readily admit that I don't fly to/from Boston, so I don't check fares, but you can get a ticket from NY to Boston for less than $58? Yes that is the low bucket price, so if you're booking last minute it won't be that cheap. But still I'm kinda of surprised that the airlines can beat that.
$58? For some reason I have never been able to get that price. Usually cost me around $100. I used to fly DL for $85, but these days i tried to avoid flying short trip, i hate to check in my luggage for a 45 mins flight.

And I'd rather spend more time on the train vs. stuck in the traffic getting into the city, at least it's comfy and I can do stuff.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I readily admit that I don't fly to/from Boston, so I don't check fares, but you can get a ticket from NY to Boston for less than $58?
If you're traveling on a weekend, it's hard to find an Amtrak ticket NYC-BOS that's anywhere near $58 each way, whereas tickets on the Delta/US shuttle are easy to get at $70 with a 7-day advance purchase.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by flyin'high
I actually did that one time, taking RT NJ transit and transfer SEPTA via Trenton to Philly. Yes, i beat the price, but it was a disaster. My NJ transit was late and I missed my SEPTA connection, had to sit there and wait. On my way back, the transition was also hectic, I didn't have time to purchase the ticket in advance and there were no machines on the platform, I had to pay a penalty to buy it on board.
I haven't done this in a while, but you used to be able to buy a combined SEPTA/NJT ticket at 30th Street station in Philly. I'm not sure if you could in New York or New Jersey because I never started my journey from that direction. I never had a problem missing the connection but I can see how that would be frustrating.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:39 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by iahphx
The problem is that almost no one believes Amtrak could expand rail service -- make it an option for the masses if you will -- without the result being a boondoggle.
Amtrak is a creature of those who created it, the politicians. What in our country do they get right? Coffee pots for the airforce that cost $4,000, nuts that you can buy in a hardware store for a buck but the army pays 10 times that for, and so on.

Frankly sometimes I'm amazed that Amtrak does as well as it does. It's not easy trying to run a large company with over 600 bosses each of whom thinks that they know best. We currently have SDS (Simplified Dining Service) because of Congress. It isn't saving much money, but it is hurting service.

Now I will grant you that Amtrak picked the method, but it was a Congressional mandate that set things in motion because Congress decided to micro-manage Amtrak. Amtrak looses over a billion dollars per year, but Congress decided to worry about the food service loss of $100 Million per year. If that's not the little boy trying to hold back the flood by sticking his finger in the dike, I don't know what is.

Originally Posted by iahphx
I would love to see the entrepreneurship of the airline industry -- where they can fly you astonishing distances at very low cost -- transferred to the passenger rail business. I don't see a path to achieving that worthwhile goal, however.
Again with the caveat that I don't regularly check airline prices so I can't compare, it seems to me that Amtrak's ability to get you from NY to LA for $154 is a pretty decent price. And a quick check of airfares for June finds the cheapest is $275 from LGA to LAX.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 10:40 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by fairviewroad
I haven't done this in a while, but you used to be able to buy a combined SEPTA/NJT ticket at 30th Street station in Philly. I'm not sure if you could in New York or New Jersey because I never started my journey from that direction. I never had a problem missing the connection but I can see how that would be frustrating.
You can buy the combined ticket in New York or New Jersey too.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:03 am
In Memoriam

$58? For some reason I have never been able to get that price. Usually cost me around $100. I used to fly DL for $85, but these days i tried to avoid flying short trip, i hate to check in my luggage for a 45 mins flight.

And I'd rather spend more time on the train vs. stuck in the traffic getting into the city, at least it's comfy and I can do stuff.
Originally Posted by nerd
If you're traveling on a weekend, it's hard to find an Amtrak ticket NYC-BOS that's anywhere near $58 each way, whereas tickets on the Delta/US shuttle are easy to get at $70 with a 7-day advance purchase.
I just quickly checked Amtrak for next Tuesday the 24th NY to BOS, less than 7 days away. Regional trains #190, #170, #172, #174, and #86 which represent the 6:55 AM, 8:30 AM, 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, and 2:00 PM departures from NY, are all currently priced at $58. And that's before using any discounts like AAA, which would knock another 10% off that 58 bucks.

You can view my results here.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just quickly checked Amtrak for next Tuesday...
But I was talking about the difference in cost for weekend travel.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 11:59 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by nerd
But I was talking about the difference in cost for weekend travel.
Sorry about that, I missed the weekend part.

That said however, I can find trains on the weekend that are $58 between NY and Boston. I'm not sure what's going on for this weekend, as everyone seems to be traveling. In fact there are actually a few trains sold out this weekend. But if I look at the following Saturday, the 28th, there are trains currently priced at $58 one way to Boston. They include #'s 164, 82, 88, 194, and 168.

Granted that is a bit more than the 7 day window, but if one can plan out two weeks, it can be done.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 12:40 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, US Airways Dividend Miles, Choice Hotels, Hertz #1
The different markets that the airlines and AMTRAK cater to can be seen in week-end pricing. With airlines prices go down (eg: USAirs e-saver) but with AMTRAK after mid-morning on Friday the fare become more restricted. I don't fault either one but the fare structures must represent the type of passenger that the transportation company thinks will absorb the fare.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 2:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond
I just quickly checked Amtrak for next Tuesday the 24th NY to BOS, less than 7 days away. Regional trains #190, #170, #172, #174, and #86 which represent the 6:55 AM, 8:30 AM, 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, and 2:00 PM departures from NY, are all currently priced at $58. And that's before using any discounts like AAA, which would knock another 10% off that 58 bucks.

You can view my results here.
Thanks for looking it up. I also forgot to mention it's weekend trip, leaving Friday and return on Sunday, and I usually like to get in at a decent time to have dinner with friends, would be looking for around 3pm departure, i'm just not very flexible I guess.

Regarding the NJT/SEPTA, how do you buy tickets in NY/NJ? Is there an option for PHL on the machine? I guess I never paid much attention.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 9:53 pm
In Memoriam

Regarding the NJT/SEPTA, how do you buy tickets in NY/NJ? Is there an option for PHL on the machine? I guess I never paid much attention.
Yes, at the major stations along the NEC it is an option. It may not be at some of the smaller NEC stations and I don't think that it is an option at stations off of the NEC. And of course any ticket agent can sell you such a ticket, assuming that they actually know what they are doing.
Old Apr 22, 2007, 10:41 pm

Yes, at the major stations along the NEC it is an option. It may not be at some of the smaller NEC stations and I don't think that it is an option at stations off of the NEC. And of course any ticket agent can sell you such a ticket, assuming that they actually know what they are doing.
Your not saying that Amtrak agents can sell NJT/SEPTA tickets are you?
Old Apr 23, 2007, 4:54 am
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
Your not saying that Amtrak agents can sell NJT/SEPTA tickets are you?
Amtrak agents No, NJT ticket agents Yes.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 9:51 am

As far as I know almost all NJT station just have ticket machines and no agents.
Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:24 am
Suspended

For a last minute traveler, the fares are VERY reasonable. I just bought Acela Express F NYP-WAS for $240 one way (all in). The US Air Shuttle was $299+tax for Economy. Now I get a nice, fun ride, I'm there just about as quickly, I get to work along the way, and I get a nice meal with free booze. Oh, I don't have to deal with the TSA...

Sounds like a win-win. ^

I agree though, if one books in advance, they're a little crazy. When I first started looking into this trip, CO was $100 r/t EWR-DCA, whereas Acela was >$300 for "Business" (i.e. Coach).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.