Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage storage at NYC Penn station?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I finally got over to Penn Station today for lunch, and stopped at the Baggage Office afterwards. A sign indicates that parcel checking is only available for ticketed passengers. I asked the baggage agent which tickets qualify. He said Amtrak and NJ Transit tickets only; Long Island Rail Road tickets are not acceptable. (How strictly the ticket requirement is enforced is something that I do not know.) I did not notice the rate for parcel checking, but I do not doubt that it is $5/bag/day.

FYI: NJ Transit one-way tickets are not refundable. The least expensive NJ Transit ticket is a one-way from Penn Station to Secaucus Junction. The one-way adult fare is $3.00; the one-way senior/disabled passenger fare is $1.50.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:54 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by guv1976
The least expensive NJ Transit ticket is a one-way from Penn Station to Secaucus Junction. The one-way adult fare is $3.00; the one-way senior/disabled passenger fare is $1.50.
Actually one can buy a ticket from Newark to North Elizabeth for $2, which would save a buck. I doubt that the baggage people would care or know the difference. Even if they did question you, tell them that the conductor lifted the Newark to NY ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlanB
Actually one can buy a ticket from Newark to North Elizabeth for $2, which would save a buck. I doubt that the baggage people would care or know the difference. Even if they did question you, tell them that the conductor lifted the Newark to NY ticket.
Hey, for that matter, one can buy an adult one-way from North Elizabeth to Elizabeth for only $1.50 (or .75 for a senior/disabled passenger). I just assumed that if the Amtrak baggage clerk inspected the ticket, (s)he would insist on a ticket valid for travel out of New York. But I guess you never know.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Where is the baggage office located at Penn Station?

Is it over by the 31st St/8th Avenue entrance?

Thank you!
Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by TrishBOS
Where is the baggage office located at Penn Station?

Is it over by the 31st St/8th Avenue entrance?

Thank you!
It's past that exit, behind the gate for tracks 1 thru 4.
Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Datapoint:

I used the baggage check last week while I went to an appointment in lower Manhattan, before my NYP-BOS trip. The clerk DID ask for my Amtrak ticket. The fee is $4.50. And if you don't give the clerk a tip, you get a very dirty look!
Old Nov 4, 2007, 3:41 pm

Just to make sure, does all this still apply now ( Nov 07) ? I will need to leave two luggage next week , for a few hours ... Thanks ...
Old Nov 4, 2007, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by france usa
Just to make sure, does all this still apply now ( Nov 07) ? I will need to leave two luggage next week , for a few hours ... Thanks ...
It should however, to save your self some money I would leave the bags at the New Yorker Hotel or Hotel Pennsylvania . Both are right outside of Penn Station.
Old Nov 5, 2007, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
It should however, to save your self some money I would leave the bags at the New Yorker Hotel or Hotel Pennsylvania . Both are right outside of Penn Station.
I can just show at those hotels and ask for luggage storage (for 1 or 2 hours) ? Do they always accept, and what I am expected to pay ? thanks !
Old Nov 29, 2008, 7:03 pm

I finally got over to Penn Station today for lunch, and stopped at the Baggage Office afterwards. A sign indicates that parcel checking is only available for ticketed passengers. I asked the baggage agent which tickets qualify. He said Amtrak and NJ Transit tickets only; Long Island Rail Road tickets are not acceptable. (How strictly the ticket requirement is enforced is something that I do not know.) I did not notice the rate for parcel checking, but I do not doubt that it is $5/bag/day.
Used this service today (this thread saved me as I hadn't planned well enough for baggage storage and found this thread on my Treo). $4.50 for 1 bag. Was asked for a ticket, and the NJ Transit one I produced was sufficient (didn't ask about LIRR). I tipped on both ends, and they acted almost surprised, but there was a tip jar.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:41 am

found a good place to store your luggage

i am a frequent traveler to NYC since i have a gf there and go up quite often from dc and usually check out of my hotel sundays but need to spend a whole day and depart by bus from penn station at night..

i have used this service a few times and they are pretty good to store my suitcase and backpack for the day..

SCHWARTZ TRAVEL SERVICES
www.schwartztravel.com / 212-290-2626
Manhattan Luggage Storage * Lockers * Coat Check
Short Term or Long Term Mini Storage & Office Space
Luggage Shop * Luggage Forwarding

355 W 36th St.
Close to Penn Station & Port Authority
Between 8th & 9th Ave. 2F NY NY 10018
Open: 8:30am - 8pm

43 W 46th St.
Close to Times Square & Grand Central
Between 5th & 6th Ave. 6F NY NY 10036
Open: 8am - 11pm

Day . Week . Month
Just walk in - No reservations required.
Why rent a storage room when all you need is Luggage Storage.
Storage Price: approximately $8 to $10 (depending on size). per 24 hours.
Monthly Rate: $3 to $5 a day, per luggage, box or locker.
Tourist Friendly - Special Group & Student Rates
Safe . Secure . Reliable
Old Jan 4, 2009, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by france usa
I can just show at those hotels and ask for luggage storage (for 1 or 2 hours) ? Do they always accept, and what I am expected to pay ? thanks !
The general rule is you have to be staying at the hotel to be able to check your bag there.. but sometimes the bell clerk does not ask
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:09 pm

How secure is the storage there? Would it be safe, or foolish, to leave a laptop in checked luggage? I'd rather not lug it around all day, but worrying about it doesn't appeal to me either!

Also, if I check it in the afternoon and my train is at night, does the luggage automatically get put on the train at the correct time or do I pick it up and transport it somewhere? I would want one bag as checked baggage and another as carry on.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by Paxer
How secure is the storage there? Would it be safe, or foolish, to leave a laptop in checked luggage? I'd rather not lug it around all day, but worrying about it doesn't appeal to me either!

Also, if I check it in the afternoon and my train is at night, does the luggage automatically get put on the train at the correct time or do I pick it up and transport it somewhere? I would want one bag as checked baggage and another as carry on.
If you check baggage through to your destination, it may or may not travel on your train. If there is an earlier train with checked baggage service to your destination, Amtrak may put it on the earlier train.

When you check baggage through to your destination, you do not have to do anything except pick it up at the baggage claim at your destination.

If you check a parcel just for the day, you must claim it during the hours that the Baggage Service office is open. Amtrak at Penn Station does not accept electronics for day checking. I'm not sure if they permit electronics in checked baggage. The Amtrak website might have a list of restricted articles for checked baggage.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
If you check baggage through to your destination, it may or may not travel on your train. If there is an earlier train with checked baggage service to your destination, Amtrak may put it on the earlier train.
That's pretty much a sure bet. Unlike airlines, which require you to travel with your bags on the same conveyances, Amtrak has no such requirement. They put bags on the next possible train out and, if there's a connection, on the most direct routing. I did a very circuitous cross-country trip a few years ago, one that took 7 nights (including an extra night from a missed connection) when it normally would have taken just 3. Upon checking the bag, the agent's eyes nearly glazed over at my routing, then he tagged the bag for the most direct route. When I reached my destination, I did not have to wait for my bag to be offloaded from the same train. It was waiting for me in the station and had probably been there for four days at that point!

Amtrak at Penn Station does not accept electronics for day checking. I'm not sure if they permit electronics in checked baggage. The Amtrak website might have a list of restricted articles for checked baggage.
If you've ever seen the inside of an Amtrak station baggage room or train baggage car, you wouldn't check anything valuable, especially electronics! Their facilities are not always secure (hence the long lead time Amtrak would need to securely accept firearms again), nor are they usually climate-controlled, nor do they have securements to prevent bags from getting jostled en route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.