Luggage storage at NYC Penn station?

Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:26 pm

Thanks for the information, Guv and Go! Just what I needed to know.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Is this information still accurate? Headed to NYP today....

Originally Posted by AlanB
It's past that exit, behind the gate for tracks 1 thru 4.
Originally Posted by TrishBOS View Post
Where is the baggage office located at Penn Station?

Is it over by the 31st St/8th Avenue entrance?

Thank you!
It's past that exit, behind the gate for tracks 1 thru 4.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:05 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Yes, it's still in the same place.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:30 am

WARNING: Problem with Luggage Deposit at Penn Station in January 2011

On Jan. 7 I tried to deposit my luggage at the AMTRAK luggage check in at PENN Station. I had a valid ticket from the NJ Transit train running from Newark AP to the station and wanted to store my one suitcase there for three hours before taking the bus to JFK.
The attendant at the AMTRAK luggage check refused to take my suitcase and claimed that I would need an AMTRACK long-distance ticket out of PENN Station to use their service!!!
I escalated the issue and involved two supervisors. After 20 minutes of discussion I was able to deposit it. The supervisors had to directly order the employee to accept the suitcase. Evidently, there are some new company policies in place.
You guys might want to use the commercial luggage facility that is posted in this thread.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:12 am

Updating on this thread, which I found high up by Googling:
Amtrak baggage check (which is also a temporary storage) is still at the same place, works 5:15am-9:45pm, cost is $5.50 per item.
NJTransit ticket WORKS FINE; LIRR does not - I asked the agent about both.
I bought a NJTransit ticket to Secaucus ($4 one way, says valid until use; there's no date on the ticket. Figured I'll use it one day when going somewhere in NJ or to EWR) and it worked without a hitch. Beats going to 36th street and paying $7-10 per item.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:21 am

If you're willing to walk out of the station, Macy's on 34th Street has a free luggage check in the lower level (the "cellar"). You don't have to buy anything to use it.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Bumping this thread. Thinking about leaving a backpack at NYP later this month. Arriving on the Keystone at 10:30 AM on a Sunday, leaving NJ Transit that night at 7 PM. Think I'll have any issues with Amtrak storing my bags? Also, would anyone feel unsafe about leaving a laptop there? Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:07 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
CMK10,

I wouldn't think you'd have any problems in general, as long as you can still produce an Amtrak ticket. As in be careful if you use eTicketing via the Amtrak App as your reservation might not come up after your ride.

And NO, I would not leave my laptop with them! And officially they are not allowed to accept a laptop either. If they know that you have a laptop in your bag, they will refuse to check it. Or at least they should refuse.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks as always AlanB. I'm on my way to a Yankee game and I know I won't be able to take the backpack inside the park with me so I think this is probably my best bet unless anyone has some other suggestions?
Old Jul 5, 2014, 5:45 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks as always AlanB. I'm on my way to a Yankee game and I know I won't be able to take the backpack inside the park with me so I think this is probably my best bet unless anyone has some other suggestions?
Too big? Bags, including backpacks, up to 16x16x8 inches are allowed in the stadium -- that's a standard MLB policy. (I have a laptop backpack that's near that size in height, and haven't had a problem bringing it into multiple MLB stadiums on the West Coast. They do have "bag sizers" at stadium entrances if there's any doubt.)

If the size of your backpack is the issue, you may have to carry a smaller empty bag with you, transfer your laptop into it before checking your bag with Amtrak, and take that smaller bag to the game. I was looking to see if there were any bag storage options near Yankee Stadium, but I don't see anything current (there was a bowling alley that would check bags, but it's closed).
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74
Too big? Bags, including backpacks, up to 16x16x8 inches are allowed in the stadium -- that's a standard MLB policy. (I have a laptop backpack that's near that size in height, and haven't had a problem bringing it into multiple MLB stadiums on the West Coast. They do have "bag sizers" at stadium entrances if there's any doubt.)

If the size of your backpack is the issue, you may have to carry a smaller empty bag with you, transfer your laptop into it before checking your bag with Amtrak, and take that smaller bag to the game. I was looking to see if there were any bag storage options near Yankee Stadium, but I don't see anything current (there was a bowling alley that would check bags, but it's closed).
I didn't realize this. I'm used to having gone to Yankees games in the few years after 9/11 where you couldn't bring in anything unless it was in one of their clear, plastic bags. I didn't know it had changed ^
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:03 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by CMK10
I didn't realize this. I'm used to having gone to Yankees games in the few years after 9/11 where you couldn't bring in anything unless it was in one of their clear, plastic bags. I didn't know it had changed ^
Unfortunately, as I was looking at the relevant page on the Yankees' website, I see that under "Entry and Carry-In Policy," they have "laptop computers" listed as something you can't bring in.

Sorry about that -- I thought MLB had completely standardized security policies, but I guess not. Looking at the equivalent pages for a few other MLB stadiums, they either don't have laptops listed as something you can't bring in, or they specifically mention that you can bring in laptops (AT&T Park for the latter, and Citi Field is included in the former -- maybe switch your allegiance to the Mets?).
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by trainman74
Unfortunately, as I was looking at the relevant page on the Yankees' website, I see that under "Entry and Carry-In Policy," they have "laptop computers" listed as something you can't bring in.

Sorry about that -- I thought MLB had completely standardized security policies, but I guess not. Looking at the equivalent pages for a few other MLB stadiums, they either don't have laptops listed as something you can't bring in, or they specifically mention that you can bring in laptops (AT&T Park for the latter, and Citi Field is included in the former -- maybe switch your allegiance to the Mets?).
Well that's frustrating. Sadly, the Yankees are the only game in town that day so we're back to square one

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.