Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2007 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, DL Gold
I can also confirm that I have never been asked by the conductor to show my AAA card. I have travelled at least a dozen times.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:24 pm

great thread! Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:42 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by jackal
If you take Acela, you'll hit 150 twice--once between New London, CT and Providence, RI (can't remember exactly where) and another between Providence and Boston (an eight mile stretch near the RI/MA border, IIRC).
The 2 stretches of 150 MPH are a 12 mile stretch from just north of Kingston, RI to Cranston, RI (south of Providence) and a 3 mile stretch just north of Providence to South Attleboro, MA.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by the_traveler
The 2 stretches of 150 MPH are a 12 mile stretch from just north of Kingston, RI to Cranston, RI (south of Providence) and a 3 mile stretch just north of Providence to South Attleboro, MA.
I was close...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 4:19 am

Programs: POS, Delta Skymiles, IC Plat Amb., Hilton Gold, SPG gold
I have been on eurostar, ice, thalys - i think all 3 go way above 150mph... i could be wrong tho. I am a huge train person and could easily just live by transit alone can't wait to ride the acela!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by raisin
I'm finding that H644 says I need a companion. I can't get the web site to give me a discount on the sleeping accomodations. I thought I could get the discount on the accomodations even if I was traveling solo. Am I wrong?
H644 does require a companion for the discount for coach travel! But for sleepers, there is this statement on the website:
*If booking sleeping accommodations with this promotional fare, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245), your local AAA Travel Office or your local travel agency.
You can not book sleepers online for the 25% discount. So there may still be hope for the single traveler!

Let us know!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:32 am

A little help, please

Hello, my name is Eric. I am brand new to the board, and didn't know how to post a message. I thought i would try and email you. I am searching for secret codes for Amtrak. I am departing from Philadelphia on 3/14 to Los Angeles, and returning on April 1st. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time,
Old Jan 10, 2007, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by ebfilms
Hello, my name is Eric. I am brand new to the board, and didn't know how to post a message. I thought i would try and email you. I am searching for secret codes for Amtrak. I am departing from Philadelphia on 3/14 to Los Angeles, and returning on April 1st. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time,
Use V383 to/from PHL to/from either NYP or WAS, H644 from there to LAX on 3/14 and a AAA fare (or other discount) to return on 4/1. (H644 expires on 3/15 and is not good to PHL.)

These codes also require 2 pax.

Last edited by the_traveler; Jan 10, 2007 at 10:48 am Reason: spelling
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by allen074
I have been on eurostar, ice, thalys - i think all 3 go way above 150mph... i could be wrong tho. I am a huge train person and could easily just live by transit alone can't wait to ride the acela!
OK, this is my last post on train speeds, as this is way off topic. According to Wikipedia, yes, the trains you mentioned do hit higher speeds--300 kph for the Eurostar and up to 300 kph for the ICE depending on the trainset (not sure about the Thalys). 300 kph works out to 186 mph.

Any more posts on train speeds should probably go into a new thread...
Old Jan 10, 2007, 11:42 am

New and in need of help

hey guys, i am new to the fourm and have been looking for some discount codes for a while and cant find any that really work. I am in college and a group of my friends (4-5), are going to Salt Lake to go skiing. We want to depart from nothern Missouri or Souther Iowa on March 3, and return on the 10th. Just wondering if anybody had any ideas for discount codes. I know about H644, and am thinking about signing up for AAA to get the discount, but I was curious if there were any other good ones. Thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by csw836
hey guys, i am new to the fourm and have been looking for some discount codes for a while and cant find any that really work. I am in college and a group of my friends (4-5), are going to Salt Lake to go skiing. We want to depart from nothern Missouri or Souther Iowa on March 3, and return on the 10th. Just wondering if anybody had any ideas for discount codes. I know about H644, and am thinking about signing up for AAA to get the discount, but I was curious if there were any other good ones. Thanks!
I don't know of any right now, but keep watching this thread and you may see something!

Just a reminder - as long as one person in your group has AAA, all people in the group qualify for the AAA fare! (You do not each have to belong to AAA.)

I am not sure if H644 works for a discount for 3, 4 or 5. (I hope so.) If not, try booking 2 at a time. (2 on the first res, 2 more on the 2nd res, etc...) Try a test booking both ways, and see which is a lower total fare!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 6:00 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
The 150mph area was expanded to about 34 total miles a year or so ago. A couple of mild curves were given FRA blessing for full speed operation.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:07 am

Nothing for Guest Rewards Yet?

I'm planning a trip to San Diego from Albuquerque at the end of January. Has Amtrak not posted any discounts for Guest Rewards yet? The fare isn't all that high, so not worth getting AAA just for the discount...

Jim

Last edited by VentureForth; Jan 11, 2007 at 11:17 am
Old Jan 11, 2007, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by VentureForth
I'm planning a trip to San Diego from Albuquerque at the end of January. Has Amtrak not posted any discounts for Guest Rewards yet? The fare isn't all that high, so not worth getting AAA just for the discount...

Jim
I don't know exactly what dates you'll be traveling, but when I checked random dates at the end of January, for 2 people in coach is $360, but with H644 applied, the fare is $252! If saving $108 "not much", what is? (My basic AAA membership is $40!)

Or are you traveling alone? If so, I can understand the $18 savings.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by the_traveler
I don't know exactly what dates you'll be traveling, but when I checked random dates at the end of January, for 2 people in coach is $360, but with H644 applied, the fare is $252! If saving $108 "not much", what is? (My basic AAA membership is $40!)

Or are you traveling alone? If so, I can understand the $18 savings.
Yes, I will be alone. I will be leaving on the 30th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.