Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Coast Starlight Late Arrival: Will They Let You Stay On The Train?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2006, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite

I purposefully booked the Coast Starlate on a trip to Vancouver (Honeymoon) knowing that the train will most likely be delayed by as much as 12 hours.

My question is if the train arrives in Seattle at 2:00 am, is it possible to remain on the train in my compartment for a few hours (I have a bedroom booked for 20,000 Amtrak Guest Rewards - an even a better deal than a HHonors GLON2 at the Cavalieri)? The connecting train (Cascades) doesn't leave until 7:30 AM. Otherwise, I guess I will just tough it out for four or five hours (maybe more or less depending on the delays).

Thanks everyone.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 12:24 pm

Programs: Alaska, NW, AGR, much love for WN
I haven't taken it all the way to Seattle, but we did take it to LA. We got in at 2am, and they hustled us right off and into the station, sleeping kids and all. I think (I may be wrong) that they need to clean the train once it arrives, so probably not.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 2:09 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I'm sorry to say, not a chance!

Not only is Govmarly correct that the train needs to be cleaned and serviced for it's departure the next morning, but they need to clear the track for trains arriving that morning. Additonally, Amtrak would need to keep crew members onboard to ensure passenger safety. Since Amtrak stops paying the crews basically the moment that the train arrives and comes to a final stop in Seattle, the crew members aren't anxious to hang around.

In fact, they want to head for their hotel and get some much needed rest, before they have to turn around and head back to LA. As it is they don't get much sleep on the train, so this is their one chance to rest before going right back to work for another day and a half.
Old Aug 29, 2006, 3:41 pm

Greyhound may be a better option

With a honeymoon like that, the expectation would be that you may soon end up in divorce court.

Had you considered Greyhound?
Old Aug 29, 2006, 6:19 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
With a honeymoon like that, the expectation would be that you may soon end up in divorce court.
Maybe they like riding trains.

Heck, I've even witnessed a wedding onboard an Amtrak train. A couple got married by the conductor in the Sightseer lounge car on the Cardinal a few years back while the train ran through the New River Gorge. Apparently they met while traveling on a train, so they decided that this was the perfect place to get married.

The lucky passengers in the lounge car even got treated to some free champagne to help the happy couple celebrate.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 7:13 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards
Hotel?

The other thing to consider is that you will probably have to get a hotel as the station is not open all night. I assume they would just open it for a short time until everyone is off the train and has collected their baggage. Does anyone know otherwise?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by hotlancer
I purposefully booked the Coast Starlate on a trip to Vancouver (Honeymoon) knowing that the train will most likely be delayed by as much as 12 hours.

My question is if the train arrives in Seattle at 2:00 am, is it possible to remain on the train in my compartment for a few hours (I have a bedroom booked for 20,000 Amtrak Guest Rewards - an even a better deal than a HHonors GLON2 at the Cavalieri)? The connecting train (Cascades) doesn't leave until 7:30 AM. Otherwise, I guess I will just tough it out for four or five hours (maybe more or less depending on the delays).

Thanks everyone.
I took the Starlate to Vancouver in April. Your best bet would be either:
- Just give up on doing the Cascades train. Book it with the connecting Thruway bus - the one bus that is supposed to connect to the CS _always_ waits for the train no matter how late. I arrived in Seattle around 2 AM and the bus was right outside waiting. At Customs you'll have to disembark with all your luggage and then get back on. I got to Vancouver just in time for the sunrise. Find a Vancouver hotel that will let you check in early so you can nap afterwards.
- Or, if you want to avoid interrupted sleep, get off the CS in Portland (which will be anytime from mid afternoon to 10-11 PM) and sleep there one night. It's a pleasant friendly city. Take the Cascades in the morning to Seattle and connect to a Thruway. There is unfortunately no ideal way to connect to the northbound Seattle-Vancouver Cascades train from another train.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 10:34 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Good advice! ^ Welcome to FT!
Old Aug 31, 2006, 9:33 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by queerasmoi
There is unfortunately no ideal way to connect to the northbound Seattle-Vancouver Cascades train from another train.
Unless the Starlight is very late, like 7-8 hours late, in which case the connection to the Cascades morning train to Vancouver is perfecto. Unfortunately, or fortunately, this does happen occasionally.

We are traveling L.A. to Vancouver, wanted to take trains all the way, and weighed staying in Portland for the likely reasonable time of arrival, but instead opted to take the CS to Seattle, and then continue on the Cascades the day after. The September scheduled arrival in Seattle is back to 8:45 p.m. So, we might get in to Seattle at a reasonable hour, might arrive in the middle of the night, or perhaps arrive in the morning to enjoy the day in Seattle before leaving the next day on the Cascades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.