Community
Wiki Posts
Search

transfering airline mileage to AGR

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2007, 12:35 pm

Programs: Peon in all
I would say as long as they have a CO account and an AGR account, they can make a transfer between them. (Remember that the transfers must be made in IIRC 5K blocks.) Then if the AGR account has more than the amount needed for the gift card redemption, I don't see why not.

Also remember that the AGR points expire in 3 years - unless there is actual Amtrak travel on the account! (Unlike airline FFPs where any activity will extend the expiration date, AGR requires actual train travel to extend the points!)
Old Apr 9, 2007, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I've done points transfers in both directions. It's true that the highest *nominal* value can probably be had with AGR, but sometimes, for me and for others, the highest actual value can be had with CO or YX miles. For example, I've taken a couple of wonderful sleeper trips with AGR points, but I never would have spent cash on the tickets, so the nominal 6 cents/point value is somewhat misleading for me. On the other hand, I've used 25K CO miles to book tickets to Alaska--a trip I would have taken anyway--so the 3 cents per mile value represented actual cash saved.

Where the points/miles are best placed depends a lot on travel plans, preferences, etc.
Your last sentence is the most important one... it's not really fair to compare a cash-in on Amtrak's highest-end product to a cash-in on domestic coach air travel. I just cashed in 70k onepass miles for a $5,000 international first class ticket... over 7 cents per mile.

Trading Onepass miles for Qantas first class (not easy to do, granted), will earn you over 13 cents per mile...

So, to repeat ... "Where the points/miles are best placed depends a lot on travel plans, preferences, etc." ^
Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: AGR-Select, HH-Gold, AA-peon, UA-Silver
AGR Miles

My current job is high travel, but results in periods of inactivity where I may be unemployed for 3 months or so every few years. I transfer all of my airline miles into HH and AGR where they stay safely resting until I can blow all of them on 3 months of wandering on trains. I find my miles in AGR to be some of the most versitile of all the programs.

now If I could just figure out a way to get rid of my AA miles for AGR miles!

Adam Auxier
Old Apr 13, 2007, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
'Tis an excellent tool at WebFlyer.com called the Mileage Converter. Put in from program and to program and it will tell you how (if possible) to convert the miles at various rates. From AA to AGR you're best bet is via Diners but you lose 1/2 the miles (i.e. 10K AA miles = 5K Diners Points = 5K Amtrak Points) but it's a possibility!

See the tool at: http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mil...rter/index.php

-Mike
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Does anyone know what the current transfer time is for CO to Amtrak? Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 12:52 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Transfers post to your AGR account on the following Monday. Some other poster said that even if the holiday (like Christmas) falls on a Monday, the transfer still goes through. So since Monday is Labor Day, it should still be in the AGR account on Monday! ^
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I ditto The_traveler's post . Indeed, I was the one who posted that my AGR points posted on Mon. Dec. 26 early AM.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The Monday schedule seems to still be in place. I recently transfered some points into Amtrak from CO and they showed up the following Monday.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:56 pm
Original Member

That did work for me too. Can you move 25K CO from one account into AM and then back out to a spouse's CO account with balance of 25K to increase to 50K? Or would it better to move all CO to HH?
Old Sep 11, 2007, 5:59 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Hi Sggolf !

Either could be done. Which is better?? Depends on what U/ they need: Something for 50K CO, or something for 100K HH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.