FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Amtrak | Guest Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards-399/)
-   -   $19 fare yields 600 AGR points and 900 AS points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/548092-19-fare-yields-600-agr-points-900-points.html)

Reindeerflame Apr 14, 2006 4:02 pm

$19 fare yields 640 AGR points and 900 AS points

Used the H570 code (25% discount) to purchase a RT for about $19 between SAC and MTZ, but opted for the multicity option in each direction, thus obtaining 3 tickets in each direction (SAC-DAV, DAV-SUI, and SUI-MTZ). That yielded 600 AGR points, or 100 per segment. There were also 40 AGR points posted from using the AGR Mastercard to purchase this ticket.

The conductor was also handed 3 AS forms per direction, all at one time. This yielded 150 AS points per segment, for a total of 900. These posted about 2 weeks after the trip, record efficiency for AS. The conductor on both segments was very agreeable to taking all the paperwork without a squawk.

I value AS points at about 3 cents/mile, for use on trips to Alaska. This means that the AS points alone from this trip are worth about $27, more than the paid Amtrak fare.

I may also be eligible for one or more AGR bonuses that I have registered for, namely Internet purchases or travel on selected segments.

With terms and conditions this good, how can one justify not using the Amtrak Capitol Corridor.

the_traveler Apr 14, 2006 8:59 pm

Register for promos

Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Used the H570 code (25% discount) to purchase a RT for about $19 between SAC and MTZ, but opted for the multicity option in each direction, thus obtaining 3 tickets in each direction (SAC-DAV, DAV-SUI, and SUI-MTZ). That yielded 600 AGR points, or 100 per segment.

If you register for promotion code 4663 (triple points) and 4662 (double points) on your AGR account, combined these give you quadruple (4X) points! :D And they post retroactively also! :D

Thus, those 6 segments will yeild you 2,400 AGR points! :D :D :D

Reindeerflame Apr 14, 2006 11:33 pm

Additional points

Originally Posted by the_traveler
If you register for promotion code 4663 (triple points) and 4662 (double points) on your AGR account, combined these give you quadruple (4X) points! :D And they post retroactively also! :D

Thus, those 6 segments will yeild you 2,400 AGR points! :D :D :D

Thanks for the tip! I had not previously registered for those.

cblaisd Apr 15, 2006 4:23 am

The conductor was also handed 3 AS forms per direction, all at one time....

Is there someplace I can get and print blank AS forms? I'm about 50/50 on the conductor having them available.

ClimbGuy Apr 16, 2006 2:29 pm

I got 1,800 points on a $4.50 fair from Lancaster, PA to Harrisburg, PA.

I booked it with 4 stops along the way, plus i have 2x and 3x points. So that brings it to 400. As a Select Plus member i get the 50 point bonus so thats 450 per ticket. I had 4 tickets so its 1,800 points! And the ticket is only $4.50 with H570. So the $9 r/t gives me enough points to book a one way coach in the Northeast and have 600 points leftover!

Reindeerflame Apr 16, 2006 11:51 pm

All 2400 Points Post

The retroactive registration worked for the 6 segment $19 RT between SAC and MTZ, as predicted by the_traveler.

Thus the 6 segments yielded 600 AGR points, plus the new 600 and 1200 points respectively from the 2 promotions, thus 2400 total plus the 40 from Mastercard and the AS miles mentioned earlier.

Thus, for $19, one gets enough points for a free RT (2000 points) from say SAC to LVS, which retails at over $100.

GoAmtrak Apr 17, 2006 3:54 am

Originally Posted by the_traveler

Most excellent, thanks for the intel! ^ Where did you discover these promos?

the_traveler Apr 17, 2006 6:42 am

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Most excellent, thanks for the intel! ^ Where did you discover these promos?

The 4660 I guess I was targeted for (rec'd an email) and registered for it. Then I was loooking through the "Amtrak Promo" thread for the "triple miles" promo to register my sister, and found 4663. Then I realized that the 2 promos were different, so I myself registered for 4663 also, Also listed on this thread was 4662 for double points. I registered us for that also.

I discovered by accident that they all posted (as either triple or double), and also retroactively! :D

If you were targeted for 4660 (which ended 3/31/06) you got 6X for trips from 2/1/06 to 3/31/06! :D If you were not, you just have to settle for 4X for trips from 2/1/06 to 4/30/06! :( (This, of course, assumes you register.)

So I can not take all the credit - some must be given to the other FTers who posted those codes here! ^

kmart shopper Apr 17, 2006 10:29 am

The conductor was also handed 3 AS forms per direction, all at one time. This yielded 150 AS points per segment, for a total of 900. These posted about 2 weeks after the trip, record efficiency for AS.

KMART SHOPPER here. Question for u. When you turnd in all the alaska forms, did you put a difrent train number on each one or the same one? My luck in past is that only a couple will post and they will post with diferent dates if i put the same train number on eaxch one. it is like their system has block that wont alow more then 1 to post with same train # on same dait. Tank you! :D

ClimbGuy Apr 17, 2006 10:33 am

Has anyone gotten the email for promo 4660 if so could they please pm me.

thanks,
Ian

Reindeerflame Apr 17, 2006 2:48 pm

Travel dates and posting dates: AS

Originally Posted by kmart shopper
KMART SHOPPER here. Question for u. When you turnd in all the alaska forms, did you put a difrent train number on each one or the same one? My luck in past is that only a couple will post and they will post with diferent dates if i put the same train number on eaxch one. it is like their system has block that wont alow more then 1 to post with same train # on same dait. Tank you! :D

The forms were filled out by me with the same train number, but with the different city-pairs, as applicable for each segment. When they posted on AS MP, the train numbers were all the same, but the dates had been changed, perhaps for the reason you cite.

Interesting that someone was "helpful" enough to do this, rather than discarding the "extras" as being "duplicative" and "not easily postable".

Train McGhee Apr 17, 2006 6:47 pm

I've got 4663 to work for me, but 4662 is saying that it is invalid. Did you have to be targeted for this promotion?

the_traveler Apr 17, 2006 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Train McGhee
I've got 4663 to work for me, but 4662 is saying that it is invalid. Did you have to be targeted for this promotion?

It wasn't for me or my sister. I registered us for both on 4/7 and 4/8, getting the promo codes here on FT. ^

Maybe the promo is now closed. :(

the_traveler Apr 17, 2006 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
Has anyone gotten the email for promo 4660 if so could they please pm me.

Unfortunantly, I don't, but it would not do much good now. The promo ended 3/31/06! :( I don't think you can sign up after the end date. :(

Train McGhee Apr 17, 2006 8:53 pm

Ok, thanks a lot for letting me know. I am planning to go on a tear before the 4663 code expires. I have figured a way to get 6600 points for just about 30.00 a shot, so I am probably going to take a few trips with that!