Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

No benefit using h570/multi city booking when purchasing sleeper, correct?

Old Feb 23, 06, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Location: Baltimore, MD (primary), Culpeper, VA, Washington, DC
Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus, Rapid Rewards, SkyMiles, AAdvantage

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the benefits usually gained by reserving a multi-city trip for a sleeper itinerary are nullified since h570 isn't valid for sleepers, correct?

I know that's a clumsy sentence, so let me spell it out in detail:

-I'm traveling WAS-CHI on March 31 (arriving April 1) in sleeper on the Capitol Limited.

-H570, which normally gives triple points and a 25% discount, isn't valid for sleeper bookings (if I'm not mistaken)

-Normally, booking multiple cities for this trip (which would normally give triple bookings for each ticket, which are presumably under $50 each) would pay off more points than if this was booked as a one-ticket trip. Even if I don't use h570, is there any benefit to the multi-city booking? Since the sleeper cost for each ticket pushes it up above $50 (anything below $50 is bumped up to 100 points anyway), the benefit is nullified. Additionally, I'd imagine you run the risk of getting a different room for each ticket and possibly a higher sleeping fare overall, right?.

Am I mistaken? I know I'm close to confused; just want to make sure i'm not missing something before I just book the normal itinerary. <grin>

Thanks,
Rafi

Last edited by rafster; Feb 23, 06 at 5:29 pm
Old Feb 23, 06, 9:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
I don't believe that H570 will work with a sleeper, but then I've never tested that either.

As for your main question/point, no there would be no benefit that I can think of to book multi-segements. That trick is most useful when you find segments that cost less than say $30 - $35. And Yes, you could easily find yourself changing rooms multiple times, unless you booked the trip via a phone rep. And they'd probably refuse to book you such a trip, since it would be a huge amount of work for them.
Old May 5, 06, 6:24 pm

Does each paid occupant of a sleeper earn reward points? Let's say if we buy 4 tickets (2 adults and 2 kids), do each of us earn AGR points (assuming there's extra points for being in a sleeper versus being in a coach seat) although we share one sleeper? Hopefully this thread is okay to post onto. Thanks if anyone could share their experience\opinion.

Last edited by crankyusi; May 5, 06 at 6:35 pm
Old May 5, 06, 8:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by crankyusi
Does each paid occupant of a sleeper earn reward points? Let's say if we buy 4 tickets (2 adults and 2 kids), do each of us earn AGR points (assuming there's extra points for being in a sleeper versus being in a coach seat) although we share one sleeper? Hopefully this thread is okay to post onto. Thanks if anyone could share their experience\opinion.
If everyone has an AGR number then yes they will earn some points, however the amount of points will vary from person to person. The reason for that is that the sleeper or accomodation charge will only appear on one ticket. So if you are planning to book a family sleeper, then the first person on the reservation would earn points for the railfare, plus the accomodation/sleeper charge.

The remaining 3 people would only earns points for their railfare, as listed on their tickets.

If you book two sleepers, then two people would earn accomodation points, while the other two would earn only railfare points.

Last edited by AlanB; May 6, 06 at 6:05 am Reason: Fix spelling error
Old May 5, 06, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA(Plat), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH(D), IHG, MAR
Originally Posted by rafster
-H570, which normally gives triple points and a 25% discount, isn't valid for sleeper bookings (if I'm not mistaken)
Note that the H570 code only provides the 25% discount. Triple points requires registration of your AGR account for the promotion.
Old May 6, 06, 10:13 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by rafster
H570, which normally gives triple points and a 25% discount
True, the triple points promotion required a separate registration, but that (triple points) promo expired on 4/30/06. However, H570 still gives a 25% discount on the rail fare portion only (not including the accomodation charge) until 12/31/06!
Old May 6, 06, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by AlanB
If everyone has an AGR number then yes they will earn some points, however the amount of points will vary from person to person. The reason for that is that the sleeper or accomodation charge will only appear on one ticket. So if you are planning to book a family sleeper, then the first person on the reservation would earn points for the railfare, plus the accomodation/sleeper charge.

The remaining 3 people would only earns points for their railfare, as listed on their tickets.

If you book two sleepers, then two people would earn accomodation points, while the other two would earn only railfare points.

Thank you AlanB.
Old May 6, 06, 3:58 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by crankyusi
One pax receives credit for the rail fare plus the accomodation charge, while the other pax only receives credit (points) for their rail fare.

The following is an example from my account and my sister's account. We both shared the same room. (Remember - these were posted prior to the 100 point minimum as it is now.) The 1st column is my account, the 2nd column is her account.

NYP-ATL 462 62

ATL-WAS 200 34

NDL-LAX 220 60

I received 882 points for these 3 trips, while she received only 156 points.
Old May 6, 06, 5:28 pm

Thank you very much the_traveler.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: