Wiki Posts
Search

Best roomette ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2006, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD
Best roomette ?

We are having our first time experience on the Coast Starlight in May and want to get a roomette. What roomette would be the best choise ? Upper og lower deck ? Anything that we should be aware of ?

Appreciate your help, thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
It really comes down to personel preference as to which is better, upper or lower. Most people seem to prefer the upper rooms for the following reasons. One, better view, since you are up higher. Two, one must be on the upper level to reach any other car on this train. On the other hand, the upper level has a bit more sway than the lower level, so those sensitive to motion sickness tend to prefer the lower.

The lower level as I just noted, has less swaying. Additionally it close to 3 out of the car's 4 bathrooms and the car's shower. There is also less noise from people walking by, since again one needs to be on the upper level to pass from car to car. On the other hand, one does get a bit more "track" noise on the lower level.

You can find a diagram that shows the layout of the Superline car here from Friends of Amtrak. The quietest rooms as far as track noise is concerned, are 2 thru 6. Rooms 7-10 here more noise as the door at the end of the car opens and closes for passenger traffic. Room #1 by the way is the attendants room, so don't ask for that one.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 8:34 am

Programs: Peon in all
It is based on personal preference, but I choose the upper level for the better views, it being quieter (track noise) and ease of access to other parts of the train. But you have to remember that the bathrooms and shower are on the lower level, and also the door to enter/exit, so there will be stairs to climb. (But that would be the same in coach! )

Personally, I choose a room or seat towards the middle of the car. Being away from the trucks (wheels) seems to give a smoother ride. But being on the upper level it really doesn't matter as to the location. However, I would not (unless it's the only available option) choose the end of the car, because of the noise of the door opening and closing and also the track noise when the door is open! And people are not always quiet while in the vestibule. (They may quiet down while walking through the car, but they are already past your room! )
Old Jan 17, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: Alaska, NW, AGR, much love for WN
I think it depends, too. The upper roomette sways more and I tend to hear people in the corridor in the evening. The lower roomette (my personal preference) is a bit louder from the track noise but is close to the bathrooms and is much quieter overall (traffic/people-wise) with less sway. We just had a family bedroom on the Coast Starlight--they are only on the lower level--and it was very quiet in our car, track noise aside.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: EBD
Thanks, guys, for all your help and advice. I've made my decision, and I am booked in room #5.
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:58 am

Warning re: late trains

Enjoy your trip, but expect the train to operate 3 to 6 hours behind schedule.

I'm not recommending use by the general public of this service at this time because the operation is not dependable and service tends to suffer under these extreme conditions. These conditions are expected to endure for a year or more.

That said, an experienced rail traveler who is prepared for this can still have a decent trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.