Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2006 Amtrak Promotions and Discounts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:49 am

Talking Found a new code! =) This is 25% off for one adult

Hey everybody. I'm new to this forum and I'm very glad I stumbled across it. Like everyone here, I'm always on the lookout for discounts. Based on fooling around with the "promotion code" button, I found these 2 codes, good for 25% off one adult ticket:

H535 & H539

I do not know of any restrictions (such as if they need to be booked 3 days in advance, or if there only good in the Northeast). Im using one of these codes to book a trip from Penn Station NY to upstate NY (both happened to work) so you may run into trouble. Worth a look to check out though!

Whoever decides to use these codes, let me know if they work out for you! Thanks
Old Nov 2, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by franks614
I found these 2 codes, good for 25% off one adult ticket:

H535 & H539

I do not know of any restrictions (such as if they need to be booked 3 days in advance, or if there only good in the Northeast). Im using one of these codes to book a trip from Penn Station NY to upstate NY (both happened to work) so you may run into trouble. Worth a look to check out though!
I just tried making a res using H535 and H539. It looks like they are valid on the NEC ! (I tried KIN-OSB.) And better yet, they do not require a 3 day purchase! ^ (I tried for a train later this afternoon!)

Although I only tried with the regular adult fare and a AAA fare, only the regular fare worked, so it may not be stackable.

Last edited by the_traveler; Nov 3, 2005 at 9:25 am
Old Nov 2, 2005, 8:53 pm

I just used H535 on NYP-WAS for my Thanksgiving travel... thanks for the early Christmas present!
Old Nov 3, 2005, 2:21 pm

Thumbs up H535 rocks my world, and renewing Student Advantage

Many many thanks to franks614.

H535 worked like a charm (no 3-day limit) to get me BOS-NHV, and I'm sure H539 is also good for the 25%.

I have also been renewing my Student Advantage card (which gives 15% but only 3 days out); thought I'd share some renewal promotion codes, since I had a hard time finding them. Kudos to the previous poster who suggested changing the numbers in the code to get different offers.

renemail08 = $5 off renewals + free shipping ($15, $25, $35, $45 for 1, 2, 3, 4 years)
renemail15 = 3 free membership months + free shipping (regular price of $20, $30, $40, $50 for 1, 2, 3, 4 years)
renemail05 & renemail10 = free Loew's movie ticket with 1 year renewal
Old Nov 5, 2005, 3:32 am
21A

Arrow A few more from trial and error

H537 - 20% off
H538 - 15% off
Old Nov 5, 2005, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
Going to Boston for the U2 shows in December and I just bought a one-way BOS-NYC ticket on the Acela Express (it's actually the Metroliner though, right?) for early December, used H539 and it worked perfectly! Made the price not too painful at all (gotta go back to work that morning, hence I have to spring for the express train). Many thanks to franks614 for the tip!

However, I tried out H535 for early December for a number of combos, both express and regional, round-trip, one-way, early AM weekends and weekdays and it didn't work for any of them so I guess that code expires at the end of November.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 4:28 pm

Coupon bonanza

I did pick-up yestereday my tickets (SJC - PDX r/t) at the station in SJC. Before purchasing the tickets I had my share of madnass. I am from different cultural background and the entire "flexible pricing" thing on the trains is a very alien idea for me. Unfortunately more and more managers of railroads in Europe got their MBA in the States and it looks like this "new" thinking slowly penetrating the old continent, but not far to a degree like it is used here in the States.

Anyway I did browse for a while this forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=460735&page=5 and after picking my coupon code (H535) I made about 25% savings for the trip this November.

The madness came at the station. After a short and friendly chat with the agent I picked up my ticket but I have a habit to look for broshures around ticket counters ("who knows, what useful info can be there?") and randomly picked up one. After reading I thougt I am going to a mental hospital. The broshure I picked up was a compilation of Amtrak secret coupon codes for the ticket agents only, telling them - no joke - NEVER reveal these codes to the passenger unless explicitly asked. ...?!? How a state organization DARES to cheat its own citizens? The "blue dress with stain" in the Oval Office is not okay, but creating a smorgasbord of SECRET coupon codes is ethical?!?

Anyway, here is what all you want to know. These coupons are only for use in the west/midwest, I
am sure, the stations on the East Coast have their own list. There could be more because the coupon I did use for 25% off (H535) wasn't even mentioned. But read, use them and think about ethics.

1) "Active Promotions - You May Tell Passengers About These"

Well-known one: "X520" = AAA membership. Other well-known (USA Rail Pass for foreign passport, Student Advantage, etc) - I omit these here.

2) "Passive Promotions - Do Not Tell Passengers. They Must Ask For Them"

"Bereavement Policy" V338
"Blue Sky Free Companion" H434
"Borders Book Holiday Free Companion Fare" H565
"California Colleges & Universities 20% off" V112
"California Free Companion Fare" H557
"Campus Visit Free Companion" H459
"Capitol Corridor 20% off H503
"Cascades Business Class Upgrade" H190
"Cascades Free Companion" H549
"Chinook Book Free Child 2005" H439
"Chinook Book Free Child 2006" H547
"Chinook Book Free Companion 2005" H438
"Chinook Book Free Companion 2006" H544
"King County Metro FlexPass" H367
"Midwest Airlines Free Companion" V648
"NARP" (well-known) X548
"National Employee Recreation Association 10% off" V541
"Pacific Surfliner 5th Anniversary Free Companion" H543
"POVA Big Deal Free Companion" H567
"POVA Big Deal 25% off" H515
"Sacramento Jazz Jubilee 20% off" V104
"Seasade Park Free Companion" H553
"Seattle Seahawks 25% off" V523
"Seattle Super Saver Free Companion" H564
"University of WA U-Pass 15% off" V222
"Vancouver Canadians 20%" H554
"Veterans Advantage 15%" H112
"Western Long Distance Free Companion" H551 (CSL, SWC, EB, CZ, SL, TE, HF)
"Wild Vacations in California 20%" H461

I think, Amtrak agents in San Jose were very upset about this and it's why these leaflets are publicly available at the station. What a shame, esp. that the veteran promo (H112) is also "secret".
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Originally Posted by MelP
Going to Boston for the U2 shows in December and I just bought a one-way BOS-NYC ticket on the Acela Express (it's actually the Metroliner though, right?) for early December, used H539 and it worked perfectly! Made the price not too painful at all (gotta go back to work that morning, hence I have to spring for the express train). Many thanks to franks614 for the tip!
No, it will be an Acela Express. All of the Boston - NY express trains are now using Acela equipment and almost all of the NY -DC runs are back to using Acela equipment. One or two trains between NY - DC remain Metroliner equipment.
Old Nov 5, 2005, 8:40 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by Gyuri_FT
I have a habit to look for broshures around ticket counters ("who knows, what useful info can be there?") and randomly picked up one. After reading I thougt I am going to a mental hospital. The broshure I picked up was a compilation of Amtrak secret coupon codes for the ticket agents only, telling them - no joke - NEVER reveal these codes to the passenger unless explicitly asked. ...?!?

Anyway, here is what all you want to know. These coupons are only for use in the west/midwest, I am sure, the stations on the East Coast have their own list.

But read, use them and think about ethics.

1) "Active Promotions - You May Tell Passengers About These"

2) "Passive Promotions - Do Not Tell Passengers. They Must Ask For Them"

Welcome to FT!

Thanks for posting these "secret" codes!

I agree, ...!!! Why keep these codes "secret" and then post them in public?
Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by the_traveler
Welcome to FT!

Thanks for posting these "secret" codes!

I agree, ...!!! Why keep these codes "secret" and then post them in public?
Indeed. And I did watch for weeks, some low lifeforms do auction "secret" Amtrak codes on eBay. Hope I kicked their business in the @ss with my "auction": http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6576510533 - a 25 Cent (insertion fee) IMHO well-spent.
Old Nov 6, 2005, 2:17 pm

Indeed. And I did watch for weeks, some low lifeforms do auction "secret" Amtrak codes on eBay. Hope I kicked their business in the @ss with my "auction": http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6576510533 - a 25 Cent (insertion fee) IMHO well-spent.

I like it!
Old Nov 6, 2005, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by AlanB
No, it will be an Acela Express. All of the Boston - NY express trains are now using Acela equipment and almost all of the NY -DC runs are back to using Acela equipment. One or two trains between NY - DC remain Metroliner equipment.
Hmm. When I hit the link to the train # on Amtrak it comes up Metroliner and when I enter the train # in the Route Search it comes up Metroliner while the expresses before and after that come up Acela Express. Maybe that will change in a month when I take it, but no matter to me really, as I will probably only have had less than five hours sleep when I board, I will most likely sleep through the trip.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:25 am
SWG

Hey Gyuri_FT . . . eBay killed your listing. What gives?
Old Nov 8, 2005, 11:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SWG
Hey Gyuri_FT . . . eBay killed your listing. What gives?
Ha ha, sound tipical of ebay they couldnt make no money oof of your listing but the sleezes brought them in lots of money from their sales. oh welll your listing is good idea can you relsit to beat the sleezes again or will someone else hear do it????????? @:-)
Old Nov 8, 2005, 7:01 pm

I just can't find any promotion code for my ride! I've been trying for 2 hours!

Going from Montreal to New York on December 27th one way. We are 2 students with the ISIC card, but if a code only works with adult tickets, that's fine!

Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.