Old May 17, 2005, 9:47 am
Original Poster

California Zephyr

deleted

Last edited by septimusjm; Feb 9, 2007 at 5:19 pm
Old May 17, 2005, 11:06 am

Programs: Peon in all
Thumbs up

The CZ is (IMHO) the most scenic trip that Amtak offers. Especially the portion from Denver to Grand Junction, CO, where the CZ travels through the Rockies - much of the time where there are no roads! During this portion, I like to stay in the lounge car - for better views. The portion ease of Denver is nice, but nothing special.

The sleepers on the CZ are well used. You may have a shot, being that your trip is late May - before the heavy summer travel season.

I would only try to upgrade on the CZ (for the trip west of Chicago). The trip on the eastern half (if on the Lake Shore Limited or Cardinal) is a single level train, where the CZ is a Superliner (much better).
Old May 17, 2005, 11:13 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Right now there are 7 roomettes and just 1 bedroom remaining on the May 31 Zephyr Chicago to San Francisco. The odds of getting a roomette are pretty good: a bedroom, pretty bad.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
Right now there are 7 roomettes and just 1 bedroom remaining on the May 31 Zephyr Chicago to San Francisco. The odds of getting a roomette are pretty good: a bedroom, pretty bad.
I'm travelling alone, so all I'd want is a roomette. 7 available now... let's hope that (a) some of those remain available for the next two weeks and (b) I get to the conductor first!

You know, I was completely ready to pay for the full-fare upgrade to a sleeper, but since I used AGR points, Amtrak won't let me do it. I have to wait until I'm on the train. Makes no sense to me, and if I had known that in advance, I might have just saved the AGR points. Seems like a long trip to do in coach. And a kinda silly rule on Amtrak's part.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:41 am

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Making the trip in coach isn't so bad as long as the train isn't full and you manage to keep the seat next to you open. If you bring a blanket and maybe a real pillow, the seats aren't so bad and have a footrest and plenty of recline. Plus, whether you want to or not, you are almost guaranteed to end up in conversations with complete strangers on a frequent basis .

I am honestly surprised for Memorial day weekend, there are still 7 sleepers open. Last time I purchased an upgrade on the train, it was $200 from Emeryville to Chicago. Hope you manage to snag one, it's worth it just for the free meals!.
Old May 17, 2005, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OutOfOffice
I am honestly surprised for Memorial day weekend, there are still 7 sleepers open. Last time I purchased an upgrade on the train, it was $200 from Emeryville to Chicago. Hope you manage to snag one, it's worth it just for the free meals!.
Me too! Not that I mind coach, I just think the sleeper car is cool. I can hang out in the lounge car and then have my own little space to return to.

One more question that's kinda related. I still have't bought a return trip. I really hate flying but will probably end up taking Jetblue back to NYC. BUT if Amtrak had a weekly special for that time (June 18ish) I'd probably just take the train back.

Any idea how far in advance they post those specials and if it's likely they'll have on around that time for Emeryville-Chi-NYC? So far, there's not.
Old May 22, 2005, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Check the weekly specials on the website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.