Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Amtrak Codes Here!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:37 pm
partytildawn

H426 Chicago to El Paso - First time rail travel

I'm going to take a train other than the L in Chicago for the first time in my life travelling from Chicago to El Paso. My friends think that I'm crazy, but I've never done it before. I was able to book my fare with a nice discount using code H426 so let's hope I don't encounter any problems when I go to get the ticket! :-) Any advice for a first time rail traveller will be helpful. The 48 hour trip does seem a bit daunting, and I'm wondering if there are electrical outlets onboard for my laptop :-) Wish me luck! ^

Old Sep 29, 2004, 9:11 am
In Memoriam

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
Partytildawn,

I rather doubt that you'll have any problems picking up your tickets, but personally I would use a Quik-Trak machine. That way you don't use an agent who might just question you. I seriously doubt that you would be questioned about the use of the code, but using the machine would guarentee that you don't get question.

As for power on the train, first off bring a surge protector with you. Both for protection and as an extension cord. Now there are some cars that have been refurbished, which now have outlets at every seat. However the vast majority of the cars still don't.

Your safest bet is to try and request from the car attendant who will assign you your seat as you board to sit in either row 19 or 55. Some attendants will happily accomodate you, while others seem to have their own agenda and won't.

If you don't get power near your seat, then you can always head to the Sightseer Lounge car to recharge your laptops battery.

Finally you might want to check out On Track On Line's hints and tips for riding Amtrak. It's chocked full of information about riding Amtrak.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:09 pm

Needed: A student advantage #?

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
Double doh! All I have a Student Advantage card for is the 15% Amtrak discount! I just renewed at the beginning of July, too. I've got approximately 200 hundred ticket stubs in stacks on my desk. Anyone need a ticket number?
Hi, i just discovered this wonderful site and can't believe how knowledgeable some of you are about travel! just wondering if anyone would share their student advantage number so i can book an amtrak ticket today? Thank you!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyertalk, Lexis9526!

If I recall correctly, as it's been a while since I used the SA discount, you don't need to actually have a number, do you? If you're traveling between stations with the kiosks to check-in, you shouldn't require it as you won't run into anyone asking to see it. But try the discount codes first as some of them will produce better discounts than SA.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Welcome to Flyertalk, Lexis9526!

If I recall correctly, as it's been a while since I used the SA discount, you don't need to actually have a number, do you? If you're traveling between stations with the kiosks to check-in, you shouldn't require it as you won't run into anyone asking to see it. But try the discount codes first as some of them will produce better discounts than SA.
Thanks bhatnasx! When I try to book a ticket online, it asks me for the code when I'm about to pay. Will it be bypassed if i use the machines in NY penn station?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't have a valid Student Advantage card - mine actually expired a few weeks ago. If I did though, I don't think I'd share it online & wouldn't recommend anyone else doing that either. If you travel by train a lot, just sign up for one. It's 20 bucks & you can save that much easily. As stated earlier in this thread, one doesn't really need to be an active student. Just put down a school & a graduation year in the not too distant future & you can get one - it's completely automated with no verification process.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:12 am

Student advantage # for a non-train traveler

I don't have a valid Student Advantage card - mine actually expired a few weeks ago. If I did though, I don't think I'd share it online & wouldn't recommend anyone else doing that either. If you travel by train a lot, just sign up for one. It's 20 bucks & you can save that much easily. As stated earlier in this thread, one doesn't really need to be an active student. Just put down a school & a graduation year in the not too distant future & you can get one - it's completely automated with no verification process.
I don't really travel much by train, maybe once every 2 years so I can't really afford a SA card. Thanks though. (Is it bad to post the #? And why?--i'm just curious).
Old Oct 1, 2004, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't think it would really be all that big of a deal if someone PM'ed you their number, however, I don't think it's a good idea to publically post your number. I haven't read the T/C's of S.A., however, I'm sure there's something in there that says you can't just give out your number to other people. The numbers are all unique 16 digit numbers. If you read through the first few pages of this post, you'll see what happens when too much information became public (i.e. how by posting how to decode & guess Amtrak ticket numbers, it spread to another site & then the benefit of getting free S.A. cards was shut down).

I wouldn't give out my number to someone I didn't know personally, much less post it on the largest travel website in the world, or even in a thread that's already had 13K+ views - just not too good of an idea, IMHO.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
10% off for online bookings

Promo Code H431

* Get 10% off when you book your ticket online.
* Valid for purchases from 9/12 - 12/15

Details here.
Old Oct 9, 2004, 5:07 pm

Unhappy Why V805 doesn't work for me ???

I'm french and I plan to travel between CHICAGO and NEW YORK (Penn Station) the 22nd of November. I try to use the V805 code but it doesn't work. Could someone explain me why it doesn't work and if not could you help me and provide me with other valid codes (I've already have the H431).

Thanks in advance (and feel free to ask me codes for France trains when you'll come in our country).

Best regards

Pierre-Laurent
Old Oct 9, 2004, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Welcome to Flyertalk, Pierre-Laurent!

There are a couple of possible reasons - though I'm not sure which is correct:

1) That code is only valid on NEC (North East Corridor) Trains - which are generally routes along the east coast of the US. Chicago isn't along the east coast.

2) November 22 is close to Thanksgiving, which is November 28, so they may have that date as a blackout date.

You can use H431 & choose the AAA discount & pay with a credit card. For the date you're traveling, it drops the price down to $68.85 for a one-way best available fare. No one is going to ask to verify your AAA membership. The reason you should pay with a credit card (which you pretty much have to if you're buying tickets online) is because that way you can get your tickets printed out at the kiosk at the train station & never have to interact with anyone, thereby reducing your risk for having to have you AAA memberwship checked (which no one has ever done anyways). That's about the same price as 20% off of the lowest fare. If you're heart's not set on the train, there are one-way flights from MDW-LGA on American non-stops for $132.00 on the 22nd dependin on your schedule.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:08 pm

Seeking PromoCode

Hi,
Anyone knows any promotional code that I can use to travel between Chicago and LasVegas, NewMexico ? I am planning to travel on the Thanksgiving weekend. I'd really appreciate your help and thankyou in advance.

Last edited by hurrey; Oct 11, 2004 at 1:18 pm
Old Oct 11, 2004, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hurrey
Hi,
Anyone knows any promotional code that I can use to travel between Chicago and LasVegas, NewMexico ? I am planning to travel on the Thanksgiving weekend. I'd really appreciate your help and thankyou in advance.
Hi Hurrey, Welcome to Flyertalk!

Thanksgiving weekend will most likely be considered a blackout weekend for most routes. Have you tried H431 and/or V148 - those may work for you. You can combine H431 with the AAA discount if it's not blacked out on your travel dates - not sure about V148 (or if it's even valid on those routes).
Old Oct 11, 2004, 2:16 pm

Hi Hurrey, Welcome to Flyertalk!

Thanksgiving weekend will most likely be considered a blackout weekend for most routes. Have you tried H431 and/or V148 - those may work for you. You can combine H431 with the AAA discount if it's not blacked out on your travel dates - not sure about V148 (or if it's even valid on those routes).
Thankyou bhatnasx,
I tried both of those codes but none worked for me because of blackout dates. There is some function on that weekend which I have to attend and that is why I can not change the dates but thankyou very much for you reply and your time.
Old Oct 11, 2004, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

If you give us your travel dates & destinations & start points, we may be able to help you out with some other pricing strategy/options (sometimes it is cheaper to fly than to take the train). I'm not promising anything, but I'll try to help you figure out the cheapest way to get from point A to B to C for you...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.