Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Amtrak Codes Here!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2003, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

i have no idea. i would recommend that you use the electronic ticketing as opposed to a gate agent though - you just swipe your credit card and it'll pop out your ticket - the less people you have to talk to, the better - once the ticket guys on board see your ticket, they don't care about your fare, they just want to make sure you're in the right section of the train. if it processed online, i doubt they have the controls in place to stop it from working. let us know what happens...
Old Aug 25, 2003, 12:31 pm
21A

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ptpinit:
The promo code website states that the discount is only valid in coach travel on Regional. Will this be a problem when I check in, i.e. will they not honor the discount/business seating?</font>
I believe that just means the discount only applies to your coach rail fare. You can still pay for a business class upgrade, but the discount doesn't apply to that part of the fare.

H317 is an example of a code that can't be used for business class travel. In this case after you add the business class seat you will get "The promotional fare you requested applies to a service you have not booked, so we have provided a non-promotional fare. You may proceed with this fare or consult your promotional materials and use your back button to select a valid service."

V529, V707, and V709 all seem to have no problem being combined with a business class seat. If the website allowed you to book it, it's legal for the particular code you used. Don't worry about it.

Would it be helpful if I created a table listing the various conditions and requirements of each code (which might be more clear than wading through the fine print of each code)?

[This message has been edited by mkincaid (edited 08-25-2003).]
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mkincaid:
Would it be helpful if I created a table listing the various conditions and requirements of each code (which might be more clear than wading through the fine print of each code)?</font>
Sure, that'd be great! And thanks for posting those codes earlier in this thread too (you too bhatnasx)!
Old Aug 25, 2003, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mkincaid:
Would it be helpful if I created a table listing the various conditions and requirements of each code (which might be more clear than wading through the fine print of each code)?</font>

That would be awesome - to be honest, I've only travelled on Amtrak three times in my entire life & my last experience was so bad (do a search on this forum under my name & "horrible train riding experience" if you're interested) that I wouldn't go on Amtrak again unless it was the Northeastern Corridor (DC to major destinations in the north) - the only reason I started this post was because my sister & one of my old roommates were looking for ways to save money & I was tired of figuring out codes, so I figured this would be a good reference site for myself & others. Thanks to mckincaid for making that happen!

[This message has been edited by bhatnasx (edited 08-25-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 2003, 9:16 am

FYI - test booking your trip as two one-way tickets. I just ended up booking this way. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was about $20 cheaper this way than booking as a roundtrip ticket! (you can also test using all the available promo codes)
Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:53 am

http://www.travelportland.com/cool_deals/transport.html

Cool Summer Deals
TRANSPORTATION

Amtrak Cascades

The deal: Save 25 percent off the lowest fare. Just call toll-free 1.87.PORTLAND (1.877.678.5263), book your hotel room and ask for the exclusive Cool Summer Deals discount. Or call Amtrak reservations at 1.800.USA.RAIL and mention this discount number: H331.

Experience the splendor of the Pacific Northwest aboard the Amtrak Cascades' sleek, European-style trains. Perfect for weekend getaways with family and friends.

Offer valid June 1 - Sept. 30, 2003. Advance reservations required. Offer valid for round-trip, in-bound Portland travel only. Some restrictions apply. Blackout dates apply. Amtrak Cascades provides service between Eugene, Ore., and Vancouver, British Columbia.

____

Naturally, I see this offer after I've paid for my 2 biz class tickets.

Also note that there is some uncertainty as to whether the Talgo trainsets are even running, as there are conflicting reports that they are being pulled from service (unexpectedly) due to servicing and maintenance issues.

Old Aug 29, 2003, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

in regards to ...

because you bought biz class, they may be refundable - amtrak's got a pretty lenient refund policy if you do it before you take the trip (at least they do on the NE corridor) - you may be able to save some money if you cancel & rebook - but it depends on how much effort you're willing to make, i guess...

Old Sep 20, 2003, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From another thread:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Reindeerflame:
For much of the fall, Amtrak is now offering a 5% discount for booking on its website, with the added twist that the discount can be used on top of other discounts that the traveler may use (such as the 15% senior discount or the 10% AAA/NARP discount). There are some holiday blackout dates.

As usual, the discount only applies to the basic coach fare ("transportation") and does not apply to sleeper or business class "accomodation" charges.
</font>
Old Sep 20, 2003, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

from another thread:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MisterNice:
Each time you take two round trips or four one-way trips on Amtrak's Acela Express or Metroliner you can earn a companion certificate that a friend can use for one free ride. You can earn unlimited one-ride-free certificates until Dec. 22, but they must be used when two people are traveling together with the same itinerary.

To qualify, you have to be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member, but registration is free at www.amtrak.com. Amtrak is offering the promotion for trips taken between New York, Boston and Washington to "encourage people to try Amtrak over airline shuttles," a spokesman says.

When you take the required number of trips, you are mailed the certificate for one free ride. To redeem certificates, call 800-USA-RAIL or visit an Amtrak ticket office. Qualifying trips since Sept. 8 can count toward a free certificate, even if you register for membership after the travel.

MisterNice
</font>
Old Sep 25, 2003, 7:23 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Save 50% when a high schooler travels, with or without a parent, supposedly to visit a college. Offer good for travel through Dec. 15, coupon must be printed from the internet link below, signed by the HS counselor, and presented in person to pick up tickets.

http://www.studentadvantage.com/gfx/...ampusvisit.pdf

[This message has been edited by Viajero Joven (edited 09-25-2003).]
Old Oct 2, 2003, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

H345 is the 5% off code:

This offer valid for five (5) percent off the best available regular (full) adult, senior, disabled adult, Student Advantage and Veterans Advantage, AAA and NARP members discounted adult rail fare. Disabled passengers must call 1-800-USA-RAIL to make reservations using this special offer and to receive the Amtrak discount for disabled passengers. Offer valid for reservations: 08Sep03 - 13Dec03 and for travel 08Sep03 - 30Apr04. Blackouts apply for the following dates: 25Nov-02Dec03, 19Dec03-04Jan04, 13-16Feb04, 08-12Apr04. Up to 2 children ages 2-15 may accompany each paid adult at 1/2 of the discounted adult rail fare. Not valid on Acela Express®, Metroliner®, Canadian portions of joint Amtrak/VIA Rail service to Ontario, 7000-8999 Thruways or for local travel on Northeast Corridor trains (Washington, DC, to Boston, MA) departing at peak travel periods. Fares, routes and schedules subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 5:35 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bhatnasx:
H345 is the 5% off code:

This offer valid for five (5) percent off the best available regular (full) adult, senior, disabled adult, Student Advantage and Veterans Advantage, AAA and NARP members discounted adult rail fare. Disabled passengers must call 1-800-USA-RAIL to make reservations using this special offer and to receive the Amtrak discount for disabled passengers. Offer valid for reservations: 08Sep03 - 13Dec03 and for travel 08Sep03 - 30Apr04. Blackouts apply for the following dates: 25Nov-02Dec03, 19Dec03-04Jan04, 13-16Feb04, 08-12Apr04. Up to 2 children ages 2-15 may accompany each paid adult at 1/2 of the discounted adult rail fare. Not valid on Acela Express? Metroliner? Canadian portions of joint Amtrak/VIA Rail service to Ontario, 7000-8999 Thruways or for local travel on Northeast Corridor trains (Washington, DC, to Boston, MA) departing at peak travel periods. Fares, routes and schedules subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
</font>
Note that the major restriction as I found out the hard way last week is that H345 will turn an ordinarily refundable ticket into a non-refundable ticket (my flight into ATL was delayed almost 5 hours, missed the connection & I had to reschedule to tomorrow). You can however make date changes for the standard $30.00 fee.

Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:37 am
21A

Hey all... Sorry for the delay (been busy), but for an initial version of the promo codes list, see http://homepage.mac.com/mkincaid/amtk.html . The only new code that hasn't yet been mentioned yet on this thread is V729 (and perhaps a Kids Ride Free for the Capitol Corridor). But the table consolidates them all and shows all of the known conditions and requirements. Hope it is helpful.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

mkincaid-

Very helpful indeed, thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Dia, Marriott S
BUMP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.