Post Amtrak Codes Here!

Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:46 am

Programs: SPG Plat and that is that!
A couple other ideas I wanted to let you know that I wish I had known earlier - and they may have already been posted here or there but in general they are good deals.

1. EBay - there are often several buy-one-get-one coupons out there that are valid in various markets. This is a great deal even above and beyond the % discounts if you can find one - they look to go about $30 - $40 but it can still save you $150 - $200; in my DC - NY regional, it could have saved me nearly $50 or $60 even after you factor in the EBay purchase price when compared against a 20% off fare for 2 people. I suspect even better, if you can find one on Coupon Connection that is worth a shot too.

2. SPG - when talking about a "best case" discounted fare of about $150 in any given situation, it may be worth looking at using SPG points. You can transfer various number of points; in my case had I known, it would have cost me 10,000 SPG points to get a $260 set of (2) train tickets. Probably not the *best* value as some in the SPG forum would argue, but if you have the miles...use em.

Just a couple suggestions other than just using discount codes.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 1:04 pm

Talking

Thank You!
Old Oct 28, 2004, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Tips from Amtrak - the Tips for Using Promo Codes page has been moved with Amtrak's redesign - if anyone knows what the URL is now, please post it. Thanks!
Here is the URL specifically related to Promo Codes:
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...ibsref=ampromo

But the link you have is useful too.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:17 am

Need help for NYC to Montreal

If you give us your travel dates & destinations & start points, we may be able to help you out with some other pricing strategy/options (sometimes it is cheaper to fly than to take the train). I'm not promising anything, but I'll try to help you figure out the cheapest way to get from point A to B to C for you...
Hi,
I need help for a NYC to Montreal trip. It is $55 each way. I will go after the 18th of December and will come back on Christmas day. I tried some of the coupons listed. Nothing worked so far. Any ideas? Thanks a lot...
Old Oct 29, 2004, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seren
Hi,
I need help for a NYC to Montreal trip. It is $55 each way. I will go after the 18th of December and will come back on Christmas day. I tried some of the coupons listed. Nothing worked so far. Any ideas? Thanks a lot...
That's probably the cheapest you can get for NYC to Montreal. 55 each way is pretty damn cheap! I think you may be traveling on blackout dates. If you use the AAA discount, it drops the RT price to 99.00 - no one will ever check to see if you have AAA. Flying will cost you well over 200.00.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
It would be nice to find a discount code for weekday Acela. AAA used to work off the business class fare, but no longer.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 10:58 am

Location: KEWR / SPG Plat, HH Diamond, DL Plat, ZE 5*, AA Plat, UA Nobody
I don't even bother with the Acela anymore unless it is an absolute must so I rarely look at the discounts. I rarely travel the NY-DC distance in full. NY-DC you save 20 minutes. If I do TRE-BWI....its like 10 or 15. Hmmmmm Crashela for $200 or Regional for $50. It's not my money but I don't see paying that much more for the privilege. With the 20% discounts on the Regionals....it gets to be an easy decision for me.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DLSIZE
I don't even bother with the Acela anymore unless it is an absolute must so I rarely look at the discounts. I rarely travel the NY-DC distance in full. NY-DC you save 20 minutes. If I do TRE-BWI....its like 10 or 15. Hmmmmm Crashela for $200 or Regional for $50. It's not my money but I don't see paying that much more for the privilege. With the 20% discounts on the Regionals....it gets to be an easy decision for me.
And I can't stand the junky, clunky regionals...frankly, as someone else said, for $92/99 in business class and and/or $50 more in first, the Acela is a very ood value. Still, if I can save some money, that would be nice.
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I've never seen a discount that's valid on weekday Acela trains - I've seen group codes that are, but only during non-peak travel & only on certain dates - I don't think they do too much in terms of discounts on Acela, probably because they don't need to.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:20 pm

need a help to find the cheapest tickets

Dear all,

I will go to Alexandria VA on November 9, 2004 from NYC leaving at 6 am and come back in the evening. I never take Amtrek before and would like to know from you experienced folks how to get the cheapest tickets in order to save a dime as possible as I can.
Old Nov 5, 2004, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by firsttimetaketrain
Dear all,

I will go to Alexandria VA on November 9, 2004 from NYC leaving at 6 am and come back in the evening. I never take Amtrek before and would like to know from you experienced folks how to get the cheapest tickets in order to save a dime as possible as I can.
Try any one of the NYC codes on the first page - combine them with AAA if Amtrak.com will allow it. Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Nov 5, 2004, 3:23 pm

thanks

Try any one of the NYC codes on the first page - combine them with AAA if Amtrak.com will allow it. Welcome to Flyertalk!
I followed your suggestion and got a deal of $132.00 with AAA and the 10% promotion code. Is this a fair deal?

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2004, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That sounds about right - I think 132 is a fair deal for a RT ticket - I don't know if you chose unreserved trains, but those are generally cheaper, FYI - I don't know if time has to do with the price, so you may want to test sell different times during the day.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 11:00 am

Thanks

That sounds about right - I think 132 is a fair deal for a RT ticket - I don't know if you chose unreserved trains, but those are generally cheaper, FYI - I don't know if time has to do with the price, so you may want to test sell different times during the day.
I reserved the tickets of $129.00 with only NY code (Sorry I can't recall which one now). As on your post, it is cheaper that combined AAA and the 10% code.

Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 7:41 am
cjh

Question

Any chance that Amtrak will have discount codes that are valid during the holidays?

My parents are coming to visit, and want to take the train up from Washington to Philly to play tourist. I'm just trying to help them find the best deal. They do qualify for the senior fare, but well, my dad's always looking for a better deal...

They're looking for a day trip on either Dec. 22nd or Dec. 27th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.