Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Acela, seat reservations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2023, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Acela, seat reservations

When, o when, is Amtrak going to allow seat selection at the time of booking an Acela ticket?!!! At a minimum, Amtrak should be able to store the "preferences" of travelers with an Amtrak account (mine is "window seat, middle of the quiet car"), and use that when randomly assigning seats.

Every time I book on Amtrak, I get assigned a non-quiet car seat, even though Amtrak should "know" by now that I am a quiet car veteran. So, after booking and paying, and getting a ticket with undesirable (to me) seats, I have to go back to the Amtrak website, and change the seats on both legs of a round trip. That results in two more emails, one for each seat change. Why can't we do two seat changes in one transaction? Better yet, why can't we pick the seats at the time of booking!

Mainline airlines have allowed seat selection at the time of booking for several decades, at least for all but the cheapest fares. Amtrak, it's time to get on board -- we are have been in the 21st Century for over two decades now...
drgreg likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
When, o when, is Amtrak going to allow seat selection at the time of booking an Acela ticket?!!! At a minimum, Amtrak should be able to store the "preferences" of travelers with an Amtrak account (mine is "window seat, middle of the quiet car"), and use that when randomly assigning seats.

Every time I book on Amtrak, I get assigned a non-quiet car seat, even though Amtrak should "know" by now that I am a quiet car veteran. So, after booking and paying, and getting a ticket with undesirable (to me) seats, I have to go back to the Amtrak website, and change the seats on both legs of a round trip. That results in two more emails, one for each seat change. Why can't we do two seat changes in one transaction? Better yet, why can't we pick the seats at the time of booking!

Mainline airlines have allowed seat selection at the time of booking for several decades, at least for all but the cheapest fares. Amtrak, it's time to get on board -- we are have been in the 21st Century for over two decades now...
More importantly, allow us to look at the seat map BEFORE booking. If there are only seats at four-top tables in F, I won't apply an upgrade coupon. The work-around of booking a full F ticket, checking the seat map, and then refunding the ticket is silly when the technology exists to allow looking at seats before booking.
Mickidon, drgreg, Mr. BoH and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:25 am
Suspended

I find it odd that there isn’t an automatic upgrade; you have to log in and apply an upgrade coupon for the upgrade to be done.

It’s a government program with limited funds, I guess.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
I find it odd that there isn’t an automatic upgrade; you have to log in and apply an upgrade coupon for the upgrade to be done.

It’s a government program with limited funds, I guess.

If I have one upgrade coupon and 7 planned Amtrak trips... how is Amtrak supposed to know which, if any, train I want to apply it? Amtrak does not hand out unlimited upgrades as the domestic airlines do.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by schriste
If I have one upgrade coupon and 7 planned Amtrak trips... how is Amtrak supposed to know which, if any, train I want to apply it? Amtrak does not hand out unlimited upgrades as the domestic airlines do.
Nor have lots of airlines, but their IT dealt with it.

On American Airlines, years ago, you would click on “Request Upgrade” for the flight that you wanted to use an upgrade coupon for. Then the upgrade would be processed automatically.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling

On American Airlines, years ago, you would click on “Request Upgrade” for the flight that you wanted to use an upgrade coupon for. Then the upgrade would be processed automatically.
Ah, ok, now I see what you are getting at.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 12:55 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

When you have a trip that you want to upgrade you can apply your coupon via the app when it's inside that upgrade coupons window. That's come a long way. I remember having to go to the station to surrender my paper coupons back around 2010 when I was Select Plus.

To say they haven't made progress is not being genuine.
Daze and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 3:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
When you have a trip that you want to upgrade you can apply your coupon via the app when it's inside that upgrade coupons window. That's come a long way. I remember having to go to the station to surrender my paper coupons back around 2010 when I was Select Plus.

To say they haven't made progress is not being genuine.
Well, Amtrak has made progress but it’s 10 years behind airlines in terms of IT (and in terms of NY-DC trip times, 52 years behind the Penn Central Railroad. If it wants to be a truly viable means of transportation, there’s a long road ahead.
AndyPatterson and drgreg like this.
Old Apr 26, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by wxguy
More importantly, allow us to look at the seat map BEFORE booking. If there are only seats at four-top tables in F, I won't apply an upgrade coupon. The work-around of booking a full F ticket, checking the seat map, and then refunding the ticket is silly when the technology exists to allow looking at seats before booking.
This is much much much more important than fixing the 2-step seat selection problem. Yeah it is a little annoying to have a few more clicks and get a few more emails, but you still get to the right place relatively easily. The inability to see seat maps prior to booking makes upgrade coupons near-worthless, plus it makes it harder for me to pick between trains if I have flexibility on times.
Old May 1, 2023, 1:40 pm

I always assumed the inability to see the seat map before booking was a deliberate policy choice, intended to discourage customers from being picky about seating and picking and choosing trains based on seating preferences. Do you not think so?

(Or are you just arguing that it is a bad policy choice?)
Old May 1, 2023, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by boswash52
I always assumed the inability to see the seat map before booking was a deliberate policy choice, intended to discourage customers from being picky about seating and picking and choosing trains based on seating preferences. Do you not think so?

(Or are you just arguing that it is a bad policy choice?)
Hmm, I hadn't considered that, I just assumed it was subpar IT. But from their point of view, wouldn't Amtrak want us to see available seats? Surely they would rather we select trains with lots of open seats over those with just a few left, and a visible seat map would support that. Nearly all airlines allow you to view seat maps prior to booking.
Old May 1, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I noticed when I change from the initial seat to a QC seat, it autogenerates a new email with a new boarding pass; even though I use the app...
Old May 2, 2023, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dx3003
I noticed when I change from the initial seat to a QC seat, it autogenerates a new email with a new boarding pass; even though I use the app...
Yes, and if you are changing both seats on a round-trip -- which I do to get into the QC -- you will get two follow-up emails, one for each seat change!
Old Sep 7, 2023, 2:16 am

Should just ditch assigned seats and block off cars for stations further down the line. Assigning seats is inefficient for multiple stops. It works on planes because everyone gets off when the plane lands.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nd2010
Should just ditch assigned seats and block off cars for stations further down the line. Assigning seats is inefficient for multiple stops. It works on planes because everyone gets off when the plane lands.
Thanks, but that doesn't work if you want to be in Acela's quiet car, or in the business car on a NER (regular train).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.