Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak between NYC Penn Station & Montréal

Amtrak between NYC Penn Station & Montréal

Old Apr 10, 2023, 5:03 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Analise
What would drive me crazy as if we sat waiting for a freight train as they take priority when they own the rails. I was wondering if that were an issue on the Adirondack line.
Yeah, that line is pretty quiet freight wise, so it won't be as bad as some of the tracks around Chicago for example.
Analise likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Analise, you can actually get the NYP-MTR or MTR-NYP one way for just $59.50 per person. Amtrak offers a 15% discount off of the $70 one-way fare if you purchase at least five days in advance, provided that you book via this Amtrak webpage:

https://www.amtrak.com/see-new-york-and-save-15-percent
Old Apr 10, 2023, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Analise, you can actually get the NYP-MTR or MTR-NYP one way for just $59.50 per person. Amtrak offers a 15% discount off of the $70 one-way fare if you purchase at least five days in advance, provided that you book via this Amtrak webpage:

https://www.amtrak.com/see-new-york-and-save-15-percent
That’s great! Thank you! I can’t do it in the app to get that discount so I’ll do it on the link.

Does anyone know if we can still get the Amtrak train from the subway level and avoid the crowds at Moynihan or must we show an Amtrak official at the new Moynihan Hall our passports?
Old Apr 10, 2023, 7:00 pm
Suspended

The city offers a subsidized pass for many of Montreal's attractions and activities.

I take 10+ short breaks in Old Montreal every year from my home in Vermont, for one or another cultural event, and really get my moneys worth out of these.

https://www.mtl.org/en/deals/passpor...mmer-fall-2023
Analise likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I’ve taken that train trip a number of times. It’s a slow train that pre-pandemic was prone to a lot of delays. There is little freight traffic, but some of the way is single track where you may wait for either freight or the Amtrak train heading the other direction depending on train status.

the scenery is beautiful and the train is generally not crowded. If you are going all the way to Montréal (or NYP in the other direction) the conductor may request that you sit in a specific car. They would ask you your destination when you first board the train.

the border is the biggest wild card on the trip. I’ve had situations where we got to the border ahead of schedule and ended up leaving late, and other times where the border took under an hour since there was fewer passengers, and more importantly no passengers with major passport issues. They do bring dogs on the train and randomly search some passengers. I’ve been interrogated before as a single traveler who fits some profiles.
Analise and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:53 pm

I’m relieved to learn that the tracks aren’t shared by a freight line because I know that Amtrak will always be second to freight lines.

I’ve done that drive nearly every year when I was growing up as we used to go skiing at Mt Tremblant every March. I don’t want to drive. Moreover, we would have to rent a car and buy all of the insurance attached to it because we no longer drive a car. It was costing too much money for the driving that we did which was essentially doing alternate side of the street parking.

We know it’s a long ride and I’m relieved that crossing the border with passport inspection is included in that timeframe.

We might just make a go of it and give it a try. We’ll pack bagels for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch. Then we’ll get something to eat in the café late afternoon which will probably be very limited. On the way back, we will pick up all sorts of goodies to enjoy for that trip.

So this is looking like a go although the idea of flying one way is getting my attention.
I did not say the Adirondack was not shared by a freight line. The line between Schenectady and Rouses Point is owned and dispatched by Canadian Pacific. Between Rouses Point and Montreal the Adirondack's route is owned and dispatched by Canadian National. What I did say is freight traffic is light, not non-existent, and the route is under the control of those two freight carriers.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:55 pm

What would drive me crazy as if we sat waiting for a freight train as they take priority when they own the rails. I was wondering if that were an issue on the Adirondack line.
Freight railroads own and dispatch the route from Schenectady northward. There is some freight traffic, but not a lot.
Analise likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 9:58 pm

That’s great! Thank you! I can’t do it in the app to get that discount so I’ll do it on the link.

Does anyone know if we can still get the Amtrak train from the subway level and avoid the crowds at Moynihan or must we show an Amtrak official at the new Moynihan Hall our passports?
Cross border travelers on both the Maple Leaf and Adirondack must show their ID Amtrak agents at the Travellers to Canada desk in Moynihan.
Analise likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2023, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Now THAT is interesting. Thank you!
Lots of people do this on western trains where there's a smoke break or crew change.

dh
Analise and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by littlemookie
If you are going all the way to Montréal (or NYP in the other direction) the conductor may request that you sit in a specific car. They would ask you your destination when you first board the train.
My only time taking this train NYP to Montreal the conductor DEMANDED we sit in a specific car, splitting up my companion and I. When we took our ticket over to another car after the check, he threatened to call the cops and throw us off, and tried to further intimidate/accuse us by saying the same thing happened a few weeks earlier. It was asinine. It was a horrible experience; I left at Albany, rented a car, and drove instead.
zephyr17 likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
My only time taking this train NYP to Montreal the conductor DEMANDED we sit in a specific car, splitting up my companion and I. When we took our ticket over to another car after the check, he threatened to call the cops and throw us off, and tried to further intimidate/accuse us by saying the same thing happened a few weeks earlier. It was asinine. It was a horrible experience; I left at Albany, rented a car, and drove instead.
I think I had the same guy once on the Adirondack. Little Tin God...
lrdpenn likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

I went to the Amtrak desk at Penn Station. They confirmed that we can sit in any car we want and after we check in at Moynihan, we can board the train at any entrance and not wait on a line. They recommended arriving 45 minutes early. I was also instructed to print the tickets in advance because they won’t accept any ticket on the app.

Then I really thought about it and reread all of the posts here. I don’t want sit on a train for 12 hours to begin our vacation. What the **** was I thinking??

So we are going to fly to YUL and take the train back so if we arrive home exhausted, who cares?

I’m deciding between flying on AA or AC and started a thread in the Canada forum because the questions have nothing to do with Amtrak. If anybody has any input….

Selecting one-way main cabin LGA—YUL flight

Thank you!

Last edited by Analise; Apr 12, 2023 at 6:17 pm
Old Apr 12, 2023, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I went to the Amtrak desk at Penn Station. They confirmed that we can sit in any car we want.
​​​​​
I would not assume that an Amtrak ticket agent is an authoritative source for where you may and may not sit on any particular Amtrak trip. That is within the purview of the train conductor.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
I would not assume that an Amtrak ticket agent is an authoritative source for where you may and may not sit on any particular Amtrak trip. That is within the purview of the train conductor.
That makes sense. Appreciate that.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, service is suspended again due to hot weather: https://www.trains.com/trn/news-revi...t-restriction/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.