Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booked Amtak from San Jose to Lamy NM for January

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

I was looking at airfares to Albuquerque and even with Frequent Flier Miles it was just a bloody waste of miles or $$$. I was able to book Amtrak with t he Disability Discount for $246 r/t in includs Buinsess Class from Los Angeles to San Jose on the Coast Starlight and I will be able to see the Metropolitan Lounge at LA.

The coach seats on Amtrak beats fying and I have the extra time to take the train. I love the Observation Car. Tell me can you get this flying? Amtrak allows you to check 2 free bags or bring it on with you plus caryon. You can arrive 30 minutes before the train/bus and SJ Diridon and LA Union Station is nowhere near as crowed as the airports.

Considering I will be flying to Phuket about 1.5 weeks later on Singapore Air and I may do a jaunt to Kona its a way to relax and enjoy the winter. I have done this route a few times and its been over ten years.

I wnat to know if the updated coach seats are the same size as the old Superlliners? Will the Traditional Dining be open to us coach passengers? Now I do not mind the Cafe Car as I used it when I would take the Capital Corridor Trains to my Grandparents outside of Auburn and also on the San Joaqin Trains but do miss the dining cars.

Any FTer planning to take the train?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Have you considered flying one way, and taking the train the other? I'm seeing $136 one-way fares between SJC and ABQ on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on Southwest, AA, AS, DL, and UA. Two free checked bags on Southwest, of course.

I like Amtrak, too, but I would only do a overnight trip on Amtrak in sleeper accommodations (roomette or bedroom).
cblaisd likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:36 pm

If you happen to get a coach that has been refurbished, there aren't all that many in service, they have same seats as always, just reupholstered.

As a Business Class passenger on the Starlight, you can access the dining car, although on a space available basis. Prices are fixed, $25/lunch, $45/dinner (which includes appetizer, dessert and one alcoholic beverage). You will not have access to the diner on the Southwest Chief.

I assume you are laying over in LA, since the Starlight and Southwest Chief don't connect, the Starlight not arriving until about 3 hours after the Southwest Chief leaves.

You'll be able to access the Metropolitan Lounge upon arrival on the Starlight, but not leaving the next day on the Southwest Chief.

Last edited by zephyr17; Sep 25, 2022 at 7:44 pm
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zephyr17
If you happen to get a coach that has been refurbished, there aren't all that many in service, they have same seats as always, just reupholstered.

As a Business Class passenger on the Starlight, you can access the dining car, although on a space available basis. Prices are fixed, $25/lunch, $45/dinner (which includes appetizer, dessert and one alcoholic beverage). You will not have access to the diner on the Southwest Chief.

I assume you are laying over in LA, since the Starlight and Southwest Chief don't connect, the Starlight not arriving until about 3 hours after the Southwest Chief leaves.

You'll be able to access the Metropolitan Lounge upon arrival on the Starlight, but not leaving the next day on the Southwest Chief.

I am connecting on the return going I am on the Bus to Stockton ,Train to Bakersfield and then bus to LA.

I am looking forward to meals on the Starlight!

Overall I am very happy that Amtrak is consistant with their product!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you considered flying one way, and taking the train the other? I'm seeing $136 one-way fares between SJC and ABQ on Tuesdays and Wednesdays on Southwest, AA, AS, DL, and UA. Two free checked bags on Southwest, of course.

I like Amtrak, too, but I would only do a overnight trip on Amtrak in sleeper accommodations (roomette or bedroom).
I am a rail buff
Old Sep 26, 2022, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by danielonn
I am connecting on the return going I am on the Bus to Stockton ,Train to Bakersfield and then bus to LA.

I am looking forward to meals on the Starlight!

Overall I am very happy that Amtrak is consistant with their product!
Okay, that makes it clearer, you're taking the Thruway bus/San Joaquin connections to connect with 4, and the 3 to 14 connection coming back.

You'll be able to enjoy the Metropolitan Lounge on the return trip, assuming the SW Chief is on time or close to it.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zephyr17
Okay, that makes it clearer, you're taking the Thruway bus/San Joaquin connections to connect with 4, and the 3 to 14 connection coming back.

You'll be able to enjoy the Metropolitan Lounge on the return trip, assuming the SW Chief is on time or close to it.
Fantastic totally worth the $32 for a 10.5 hour trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.