Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

9/21/22 NER 175 - no cafe car service

Old Sep 21, 22, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum;Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Exp;Hertz PC;Johnnie Walker Gold

I've been a regular Amtrak rider for many years and today was a first for me. On train #175 from NYP to PHL, the cafe car never opened after departing from New York. Apparently no-one boarded the train to staff the cafe at NYP. Finally, right before Trenton, an announcement was made that there was no cafe service - I had already made the trek from the business class car down to the cafe car twice in vain.
I will write in to complain, but has anyone ever experienced this?
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:15 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
I've been a regular Amtrak rider for many years and today was a first for me. On train #175 from NYP to PHL, the cafe car never opened after departing from New York. Apparently no-one boarded the train to staff the cafe at NYP. Finally, right before Trenton, an announcement was made that there was no cafe service - I had already made the trek from the business class car down to the cafe car twice in vain.
I have, though pre-pandemic, WAS to RVR. The conductor said the LSA went home sick after appearing to work. I rode with this conductor probably 8-9 times a month so I trust him at his word. When I went to claim my Business Class beverages he was trying to find the right sign in his packet of branded stuff. Sucked because grabbing that 4 hour ride from BWI down to Richmond at 6pm at night, directly from work, the cafe was usually my dinner (on expense).

Had it happen on a long distance... on the Zephyr out of Emeryville. Thankfully in a bedroom so had brought provisions of the food and good liquid kind but coach was SOL until Salt Lake City. I'd dropped down for a coffee when leaving the room to let my travel companion shower and the attendant told me they'd put him on a flight out of Chicago to meet the train.
AndyPatterson likes this.
Old Sep 24, 22, 5:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines, National Car Rental
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
Never have but you should get a refund for the free drinks you didnt get and for the fare premium you paid.

Search this Thread