Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

How many people prefer the quiet car instead of first class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2022, 7:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Does anyone else get so annoyed with loud cell phone calls onboard that you book a ticket in the quiet car instead of upgrading to first class?

If there were a first class car (or portion of a first class car) that was a quiet car or quiet zone, I'd book first-class tickets much more often than I do.

Curious as to others' thoughts, and how much more revenue Amtrak might gain if the new Acelas and new Northeast Regional trains had first class (or business class on Northeast Regional trains) that was also a quiet area.

Thanks.
AndyPatterson and lensovet like this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
Does anyone else get so annoyed with loud cell phone calls onboard that you book a ticket in the quiet car instead of upgrading to first class?

If there were a first class car (or portion of a first class car) that was a quiet car or quiet zone, I'd book first-class tickets much more often than I do.

Curious as to others' thoughts, and how much more revenue Amtrak might gain if the new Acelas and new Northeast Regional trains had first class (or business class on Northeast Regional trains) that was also a quiet area.

Thanks.
Agreed. But alas, it's not going to happen,

That being said, there's at least one FC crew that announces no speaker calls, and to keep phone conversations at a low level.

Sometimes it's the well-imbibed business group on PM trains talking and laughing so loudly they can be heard in the quiet car
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 11:42 am

These days with the leisure travelers predominating, I find the QC totally hit or miss. It's dismaying but a lot of these folks just don't know.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 6:46 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I am probably not the typical Amtrak rider.

I either travel in Acela F or NER coach.

If i am going to want to have a few drinks I'll book Acela F.

Otherwise, I just slum it on the regional trains.

First step on either train is to put on a pair of noise canceling headphones.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
My experience on Acela First with nearly weekly trips for years is that excessively loud behavior is very very rare. However:

River in Sight and Tanic like this.
Old Apr 4, 2023, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not a QC vs. F question so much, but is the Acela Quiet car really that undesirable or do many people just not know they can change their reserved seating? Have an upcoming Acela trip where the 3 regular cars are almost completely full (2 seats at a table) and the QC is only half full. I wonder if the algorithm would assign seats to the QC upon purchase once that's all that's left. And then how do you handle pax who refuse to be quiet because they didn't want the QC but it was the only choice?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I wonder if the algorithm would assign seats to the QC upon purchase once that's all that's left. And then how do you handle pax who refuse to be quiet because they didn't want the QC but it was the only choice?
This is indeed how it goes. All other cars (other than FC) are assigned before the QC. On not completely full trains you get the desired "only people who want to be in the QC are in the QC" effect. On completely/almost completely full trains some people who don't want to be there are forced to be there, I guess, but I always sit in the QC and even on 90-100% full trains, it's decently quiet.
Mr. BoH and AndyPatterson like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by musicalbox
This is indeed how it goes. All other cars (other than FC) are assigned before the QC. On not completely full trains you get the desired "only people who want to be in the QC are in the QC" effect. On completely/almost completely full trains some people who don't want to be there are forced to be there, I guess, but I always sit in the QC and even on 90-100% full trains, it's decently quiet.
In my opinion, this effect is probably the biggest positive of moving to assigned seating. Prior to assigned seating, you would often get a few people sitting themselves in the QC obliviously. And then angst and confrontation would occur when when they were loud.

To the OP’s question, my answer is “sometimes”. If I am trying to take a nap or get serious work done I prefer the QC. If I want a couple cocktails and/or I am putting the Bose headset on anyway, I prefer First (unless I get stuck at a table, but that’s a different topic). I therefore pick when to upgrade accordingly.
AndyPatterson likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 8:17 pm

I usually prefer the QC for the WAS-NYP roundtrips. Even when I get upgraded to FC, I usually end up having no seat choice, and have to share a 2-top with someone looking right at me. Awkward at best.
Old May 1, 2023, 8:51 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, TrueBlue, SkyMiles, HH SM, Amtrak Guest Rewards
What's the perk of being in FC?

I always preferred QC. The quietness gave a sense of privacy
Old May 2, 2023, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by dx3003
What's the perk of being in FC?

I always preferred QC. The quietness gave a sense of privacy
Free booze and bigger seats. Not to mention the subpar food and mediocre service!

Seriously though, if you are a solo traveler valuing privacy, the single seats in FC are the best IMO. But the problem is with the new assigned seating system is you can't know if any are available until after ticket purchase. It was one advantage of the old "first come first served" seating system.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 11:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
I've only done business on an NER twice, normally using the QC in coach, and both times, I have wondered why anyone would pay extra for the business car. QC wins hands down.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 7:01 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Originally Posted by lensovet
I have wondered why anyone would pay extra for the business car.
I do it for the reserved seating, especially when traveling with a companion and boarding at an intermediate non-terminus station.
SPN Lifer and musicalbox like this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lensovet
I've only done business on an NER twice, normally using the QC in coach, and both times, I have wondered why anyone would pay extra for the business car. QC wins hands down.
Reserved seating for sure. Huge stress reliever not to have to run at NYP or even worry about arriving early enough at WAS. Also, I find the legroom in coach lacking. And while 3.5 hours is probably the limit that I would fly in coach, at least there’s an armrest between you and your seatmate on a plane.

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Seriously though, if you are a solo traveler valuing privacy, the single seats in FC are the best IMO. But the problem is with the new assigned seating system is you can't know if any are available until after ticket purchase. It was one advantage of the old "first come first served" seating system.
It’s not actually a problem when buying first class, since it’s always fully refundable. And not having to sprint to nab those seats is a godsend. But yes it’s a problem for any kind of upgrade; I certainly would never bid for one as that’s binding.
progapanda likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.