Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak derails in Missouri; apparent collision with truck at rail crossing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

http://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/us/mis...ent/index.html

Injuries reported

Last edited by Long Train Runnin; Jun 27, 2022 at 5:17 pm Reason: Fixed Link to make it clickable.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:41 pm

Two crashes and six deaths in one week (the other being somewhere east of Oakland). I thought the Amtrak cars were significantly heavier than the European equivalents, and less likely to derail, but that's not always the case. Compare with the Frankford (North Philadelphia) derailment -- which I remember as I was on the Acela immediately ahead of the derailed train and ended up having to fly back to DCA the next evening.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Only two of the deaths were passengers on a train. The others were occupants of the vehicles that were struck. The train was likely going 90 mph at the time of the crash, so only two deaths of 243 passengers illustrates the durability of the train cars. It's too bad that Amtrak has to run on tracks with multiple crossings because there are always idiots who make fatal mistakes trying to beat the train. Most high speed trains in Europe run on tracks that don't have road crossings, so they can typically run at higher speeds.
Daze, trooper and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Amtrak posted an update a couple hours ago.

#3 out of Chicago today was canceled in its entirety to Los Angeles.

#3 tomorrow will originate in Kansas City.

The #4 that originated in LAX on the 26th and which is currently traversing Colorado/Kansas will terminate in Kansas City tomorrow morning. Onward passengers will be reacommodated.

If #4 arrives on-time or close to it at 6:53am, passengers could transfer to the Missouri River Runner-Lincoln Service #318 departing at 8:40am, though that train isn't big enough to accommodate the entire passenger manifest. That said, it looks like they may be blocking seats for that connection, since if you try to search for a train from KC to St. Louis (or anywhere along the MORR route) tomorrow, Amtrak.com says "no service found," which is untrue (it works if you search for the 29th), so they've likely just removed train #318 from ARROW entirely so as to preserve as many seats as possible for connecting passengers. That's my guess, anyway.

From photos of the scene, it looks like the parallel main track is unharmed, so my guess is that service (both Amtrak and freight--this is BNSF's primary transcontinental route from Los Angeles to Chicago) will resume relatively soon, once the NTSB completes their on-site investigation and the wreckage is handled. That said, the BNSF Marceline Sub (the affected route) has a parallel route from KC to Galesburg (the Brookfield Sub, which also intersects with the Marceline Sub in Bucklin, just up the tracks from the site of the accident in Mendon). If Amtrak can get a crew qualified on that route, that might be an option to restore service quickly. (Either that or BNSF may actually be in no hurry to restore service since they have a workable backup route...)
Armani and trooper like this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
Two crashes and six deaths in one week (the other being somewhere east of Oakland). I thought the Amtrak cars were significantly heavier than the European equivalents, and less likely to derail, but that's not always the case. Compare with the Frankford (North Philadelphia) derailment -- which I remember as I was on the Acela immediately ahead of the derailed train and ended up having to fly back to DCA the next evening.
Amtrak trains definitely fall off the track just like any other train (they are not only heavier, but also taller/more top-heavy). But they usually just tip over, unlike their lighter/faster peers that pancake into each other (and produce a much higher death rate).

Amtrak Superliner derailment - 2 deaths @ 90mph

Amtrak - Cascades derailment ("lightweight cars") - 3 deaths @ 79 mph

German ICE derailment - 101 deaths @ 120 mph
Old Jun 29, 2022, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by downinit
Amtrak trains definitely fall off the track just like any other train (they are not only heavier, but also taller/more top-heavy). But they usually just tip over, unlike their lighter/faster peers that pancake into each other (and produce a much higher death rate).

Amtrak Superliner derailment - 2 deaths @ 90mph
Amtrak - Cascades derailment ("lightweight cars") - 3 deaths @ 79 mph
German ICE derailment - 101 deaths @ 120 mph
I'd be curious to see a broader statistical analysis just to make sure we're not cherry-picking data here, but you bring up a good point, especially if it's accurate. I've long seen railfans arguing that the FRA needs to drop the reinforcement/weight requirements so that US passenger railroads can use lower-cost international designs, but if this is accurate, this is a pretty big argument for such requirements.
AndyPatterson, Daze and strickerj like this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackal
I'd be curious to see a broader statistical analysis just to make sure we're not cherry-picking data here, but you bring up a good point, especially if it's accurate. I've long seen railfans arguing that the FRA needs to drop the reinforcement/weight requirements so that US passenger railroads can use lower-cost international designs, but if this is accurate, this is a pretty big argument for such requirements.
I am far from an expert in this, but I understand it is also the car coupling equipment requirements in the US that help. There is a stricter design standard in the US that is intended to at least keep the cars in line even if they derail, rather than "accordioning" like the ICE train picture above (compare to the first picture of the Amtrak derailment in this case where the cars remained connected and in line, even though they are on their side).

But really I think Amtrak's biggest issue is grade crossings. I am pretty sure that is Amtrak's # 1 cause of derailments - a train hits a car or truck at a grade crossing. There are way too many of those on the tracks Amtrak operates on outside the NE Corridor and they are much more rare on the main lines in places like Europe and Japan.

It's also a problem with Brightline in Florida and is about to become a much bigger problem all the way up to the Cocoa area when the Orlando extension starts where motorists are not familiar with more frequent and higher-speed passenger trains using the rails and where grade crossings are the norm.
jpeterson likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
[QUOTE=Bear96;34381966
It's also a problem with Brightline in Florida and is about to become a much bigger problem all the way up to the Cocoa area when the Orlando extension starts where motorists are not familiar with more frequent and higher-speed passenger trains using the rails and where grade crossings are the norm.[/QUOTE]

All of the crossings will have full width gates, so vehicles will not be able to go around them.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Missouri farmer warned railway about crossing before Amtrak derailment

https://nypost.com/2022/06/28/farmer...ak-derailment/

Both Spencer and another local farmer, Daryl Jacobs, said the approach to the crossing is very steep — about 9 feet from the flat road to the top of the track — and a portion of it is obstructed by brush.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Boy Scouts Stepped Up to Aid Passengers Injured in Deadly Amtrak Wreck

On the website of Railfan magazine:
MENDON, Mo. — Among those rendering aid to the victims of the deadly Amtrak Southwest Chief derailment this week in Missouri, were two groups of Boy Scouts returning from a week-long trek at the Philmont Scout Ranch in northern New Mexico.

The Scouts were going home to Wisconsin when their train, eastbound No. 4, hit a truck and derailed at a remote crossing in Missouri, about 100 miles northeast of Kansas City. Four people were killed in the incident, including the truck driver. According to the Boy Scouts of America, the 16 Scouts and eight adults from Boy Scouts Troops 12 and 73, immediately started helping their fellow passengers get out of the overturned passenger cars. One of the Scouts spotted the truck driver who had been ejected and was lying in a nearby ditch. The young man provide first aid and comfort before the driver died of his injuries.

“In true Scouting fashion, the Scouts rendered aid to their fellow passengers before they worried about anything for themselves,” said Scott Armstrong, Director of National Media Relations for Boy Scouts of America.

Two adult crew members and two Scouts were transferred to a nearby hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Link to full article: Railfan.com - Boy Scouts Stepped Up to Aid Passengers Injured in Deadly Amtrak Wreck
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
I watched the video the farmer posted and the crossing looks entirely unremarkable.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
I watched the video the farmer posted and the crossing looks entirely unremarkable.
I watched it, too, and agree. Pretty normal rural crossing. I have seen MUCH steeper crossings out in boonies near me, that one doesn't look extreme in any way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.