Wiki Posts
Search

Costs more to UN-upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Thumbs down Costs more to UN-upgrade

So I upgraded my Acela ticket to F using an upgrade coupon. But once I did that, I saw that only tables were available in F. I hate the tables. So I called, waited 30 minutes on hold and asked to UN-upgrade and go back to a regular seat in business.... And they tell me that they have to rebook the ticket, and the inventory is not available at the same price and that it will cost me $21 more. In the grand scheme of things that's not a lot of money. But....

Seriously?!?!

GRRRR
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
So I upgraded my Acela ticket to F using an upgrade coupon. But once I did that, I saw that only tables were available in F. I hate the tables. So I called, waited 30 minutes on hold and asked to UN-upgrade and go back to a regular seat in business.... And they tell me that they have to rebook the ticket, and the inventory is not available at the same price and that it will cost me $21 more. In the grand scheme of things that's not a lot of money. But....

Seriously?!?!

GRRRR
Yup, always been that way. With airlines too. But at least the airlines for the most part let you see the seat map before upgrading. So I'll sometimes do a "dummy booking" on Acela in F; if I don't like what I see, I immediately put in for a full refund and stay put. If I do see good seats, I refund then immediately upgrade the original ticket.

Amtrak should really make seat maps available before making a reservation.
hi55us, strickerj and ijgordon like this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
Yup, always been that way. With airlines too. But at least the airlines for the most part let you see the seat map before upgrading. So I'll sometimes do a "dummy booking" on Acela in F; if I don't like what I see, I immediately put in for a full refund and stay put. If I do see good seats, I refund then immediately upgrade the original ticket.

Not only should Amtrak make the seat maps available before making a reservation, but also Amtrak should allow you to select your seats before paying for the reservation! For example, I prefer window seats, on the right (water) side going from WAS to NYP. Also, on Acela, I want the quiet car (unless I am going in F). Instead, I get randomly assigned an aisle seat in a regular car, and I have to do not one but two seat assignment selections for a round trip, each resulting in a separate email for the change. The result is I get 3 emails in the space of a few minutes for a single booking.
wxguy, Mr. BoH, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wxguy

At least the airlines don't have backwards-facing seats or seats where I have to play footsies with a stranger.

I ended up cancelling my ticket after all. But I agree, it is extremely annoying that you can't see the seats ahead of time.
strickerj likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:52 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
At least the airlines don't have backwards-facing seats or seats where I have to play footsies with a stranger.

I ended up cancelling my ticket after all. But I agree, it is extremely annoying that you can't see the seats ahead of time.
Dunno about other airlines, but United still flies some 777s with backwards-facing business class lie-flat seats.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2022, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by physioprof
Dunno about other airlines, but United still flies some 777s with backwards-facing business class lie-flat seats.
Ha, I wasn't thinking of backwards-facing business class seats when I wrote that. I'll certainly give you that.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 1:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Select
I know there's no love for the tables in Acela F and I always feared them but recently was able to have a 4-top all to myself WAS to STM and it was heaven! Lots of room to spread out. Great crew, as well. The 1-1 mini tables though, with a stranger facing you...no thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.