Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bid-up tactics

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Bid-up tactics

Is it better to wait until just before the cut off time to make a bid? If there’s dynamic pricing in the estimation of price/likelihood that would seem to be a better time to bid. If a bid goes in earlier, the pricing doesn’t change presumably? Are there any mistakes to avoid?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Haven't bid in a few months, but when I did in 2020 and 2021, the minimum bid on my route (NEC) was always the same, whether I bid right after I made the reservation or at the last minute. I always lowballed and "won" around 70-80% of the time.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 3:53 pm

At least on Acela, I've used BidUp to upgrade C tickets to F in both directions at the absolute minimum and haven't yet been declined. Even today, I bid for an upgrade less than 2 hours before departure and it still got approved.
Old Feb 13, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
Hi, I am new to Amtrak. Have been looking at different fare options and found the "bid up" landing page. I noticed the first step to bid up is checking if itinerary is eligible. What determines the eligibility? Do I have to buy certain fares?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:05 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ilove2fly
Hi, I am new to Amtrak. Have been looking at different fare options and found the "bid up" landing page. I noticed the first step to bid up is checking if itinerary is eligible. What determines the eligibility? Do I have to buy certain fares?
No fare class requirements. I think the biggest thing is you need to be booked 24 hours in advance of departure.
Ilove2fly likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I got an offer to UG from coach to Business class on the Lake Shore Limited CLE-ALB; the minimum acceptable "poor" offer was $21, while the minimum "strong" offer was $34. I put my bid in at $34, and got the upgrade. It was totally worth it.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I used bidup today on a NER train from BOS-NYP. I lowballed and got it. I have no interest in upgrading on Acela trains -- I'd rather be in the quiet car than in first class -- but will now bidup any time I find myself on a regional. Today's train was booked near capacity in coach, yet the business class car was at less than 50% of capacity and was as quiet as the quiet car (once I told the woman sitting across the aisle from me she had to use her headphones if she was going to watch videos on her phone!).
Old Apr 17, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
I used bidup today on a NER train from BOS-NYP. I lowballed and got it. I have no interest in upgrading on Acela trains -- I'd rather be in the quiet car than in first class -- but will now bidup any time I find myself on a regional. Today's train was booked near capacity in coach, yet the business class car was at less than 50% of capacity and was as quiet as the quiet car (once I told the woman sitting across the aisle from me she had to use her headphones if she was going to watch videos on her phone!).
Interesting, it was the opposite experience that led me to stop using Bid Up on Regionals. The Business Class car was packed and I couldn't get a window seat, which is my preference. On the way to it I passed plenty of seats in the Quiet Car where I had originally intended to sit. Across the aisle from me was a guy yapping non-stop into his cellphone. I haven't bid since.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by garethmorgan
Is it better to wait until just before the cut off time to make a bid? If there’s dynamic pricing in the estimation of price/likelihood that would seem to be a better time to bid. If a bid goes in earlier, the pricing doesn’t change presumably? Are there any mistakes to avoid?
I’ve been placing bids immediately after booking a ticket. One bid was accepted 36 hours before departure.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:48 am
Suspended

Only one chance to get upgraded?

I placed a bid for a roomette on BidUp and the bid was not accepted; I got the email saying no about 36 hours before departure.

The Amtrak app shows that rooms are still available for purchase on the train. It's too late to make a new bid (they can be made only 37 hours before departure for roomettes).

Will Amtrak run through the existing BidUp requests again, so maybe I'll get upgraded? Or does Amtrak process them once, and that's it?

I have a plane ticket booked for the same trip so if I'm not upgraded, I'll just fly.

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 6:12 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
My $390 bid for Bedroom on Coast Starlight was accepted about 36 hours before departure.
GoAmtrak likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Markie
My $390 bid for Bedroom on Coast Starlight was accepted about 36 hours before departure.
What city pair?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
What city pair?
Los Angeles to Seattle
GoAmtrak and hi55us like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Markie
Los Angeles to Seattle
Very nice!
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:28 pm

Bid up details?

[QUOTE=Markie;34307686]My $390 bid for Bedroom on Coast Starlight was accepted about 36 hours before departure.[/QUOTE

IS BID PRICE UP FOR EACH LEG OF A ROUND TRIP RESERVATION OR FOR ENTIRE ROUND TRIP RESERVATION?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.