NER Cafe Cars - Half blocked

Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
NER Cafe Cars - Half blocked

So, half of the cafe car on my NER train was blocked for “Amtrak employees.” Not one booth for attendant or conductors, an entire half of the car with food crates on the tables. The (rude) employee told me it was for employees only and refused to answer whether it was a new policy.

is it a new policy? If so, I would just live with it. Can’t be for omicron if the other half of the cafe car is packed, and employees are allowed to sit on the empty side.

I’ve been riding Amtrak quite regularly for over a decade and am kinda glad this will be my last year. I’ve encountered so many surly employees at Amtrak. Much higher ratio than I’ve seen with airlines.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Remember, Amtrak's Amfleet cafe cars should have the sign "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here" above their doors. There's no redeeming quality about them: bad food, often confrontational employees, outdated decor, etc...when they're even open.

Edited to add: based on the post below, I was wrong in stating that it isn't a new policy.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by vatraveler
So, half of the cafe car on my NER train was blocked for “Amtrak employees.” Not one booth for attendant or conductors, an entire half of the car with food crates on the tables. The (rude) employee told me it was for employees only and refused to answer whether it was a new policy.

is it a new policy? If so, I would just live with it. Can’t be for omicron if the other half of the cafe car is packed, and employees are allowed to sit on the empty side.

I’ve been riding Amtrak quite regularly for over a decade and am kinda glad this will be my last year. I’ve encountered so many surly employees at Amtrak. Much higher ratio than I’ve seen with airlines.
It's been that way all pandemic -- since at least late spring 2020, to promote physical distancing.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wxguy
It's been that way all pandemic -- since at least late spring 2020, to promote physical distancing.
Not in my experience. They blocked the entire car early on in the pandemic (take out only), but that stopped quite a long time ago. The café car has been fully open (both sides) for many, many months...if not a whole year. I rode in the café car countless times in 2021, as that is my preference if not in business, especially if the train is near-capacity.

If they're resurrecting some sort of new, hybrid plan, say so...but don't be rude about it, give me a curt "employees only," and refuse to explain the policy/situation.

Some Amtrak employees need *serious* customer service training.

Last edited by vatraveler; Jan 16, 2022 at 6:21 pm Reason: typo correction
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Some Amtrak employees need *serious* customer service training.
Agree!!!! Like the conductor on our Texas Eagle trip who kicked us out of the Diner/Lounge so he could stretch out in the booth with his feet up and his mask down!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.