Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Weighs Shifting Credit-Card Portfolio Away From BofA [Applications Closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: paytonc
Account ownership transfers from BoA to FNBO on 10/21/2022, new cards go into effect on 10/23/2022

Differences between Preferred cards

Issuing bank
Bank of America -> FNB Omaha

Annual fee
$79 -> $99

Amtrak spend earnings
3/$1 -> unchanged

Travel spend earnings
2/$1 -> Unchanged
may have added categories

Dining spend earnings
1/$1 -> 2/$1
includes bars, fast food

Everyday spend earnings
1/$1 -> unchanged

TQP earnings
1000 TQPs/$5000, limit 4000/year -> same earnings, no limit?

Amtrak onboard dining rebate
20% -> unchanged

AGR redemption rebate
5% -> unchanged (not in T&C, but in blog post)

Annual perks
Companion pass + upgrade cert -> Adds lounge pass

MasterCard tier
World -> unchanged

Foreign transaction fee
None -> Not mentioned in T&C
Print Wikipost

Amtrak Weighs Shifting Credit-Card Portfolio Away From BofA [Applications Closed]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 5:05 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The only concern I would have with UR or MR becoming a way to move in Amtrak points is just how many more could be created and put into play.

Tons of folks out there with 6 and 7 figure balances in programs like UR and MR.

With the number of sleepers pretty much. fixed this could make redemptions a lot harder.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I just hope for some clarity soon as I'm weighing my 2022 spend against the bonus TQPs the current card offers (offered?). And if we're switching away from BoA, I hope we'll have an opportunity to apply again and get a new bonus again. That would be much better than what Citi did when they sold their Hilton Visa business to Amex and just issued everyone new Amex cards automatically.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
From threads in 2015 and 2007, it seems like there was a six+ month gap between when applications closed for the old card and opened for the new card.

The Bloomberg article included a dismissive quote from BoA about its declining co-branded credit card business. Yet they acquired the Amtrak card business first in 2005 via a purchase of MBNA which gave them 200+ co-branded cards and 20% of the US credit card market then. Now they're just above 10%, and roughly tied with Citi, Cap One, and Amex.

Looking at the current BoA card portfolio, I'm hard pressed to identify any I'd switch into even as a sock-drawer card.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by paytonc
Looking at the current BoA card portfolio, I'm hard pressed to identify any I'd switch into even as a sock-drawer card.
The customized cash cards are decent if you do a lot of not-otherwise-bonus online shopping, as you can earn 3% on online shopping with that card. There are some restrictions (I think many utilities and medical bills are excluded) but I've gotten a lot of use out of it. It helps that my rent can be processed with it through PayPal Key, so for $3.95 (cost of a debit card transaction with my landlord) I'll get about $40/mo in cash back. Easy $36/mo when I'm not trying to hit sign-up categories.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by jebr
The customized cash cards are decent if you do a lot of not-otherwise-bonus online shopping, as you can earn 3% on online shopping with that card.
And if you have enough assets at BoA and/or Merrill Lynch, you can increase the cash back up to 5.25%. Even setting aside the awesome "online shopping" category, there aren't a lot of cards that pay 5.25% on things like dining or drug stores.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:45 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Whats up with Amtrak switching CC issuing banks so often? If Amtrak did not switch away from Chase, I would probably have one but there was no way in hell I was getting one from BofA. Is this something related to how government agencies have to periodically open up bids vs say United and Delta not being bound by any kind of such rules?
Old May 11, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, BOA Travel Visa,
Any news on a new bank for Amtrak Guest rewards?
Old May 11, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by discocoaster
Any news on a new bank for Amtrak Guest rewards?
No news on the various Amtrak FB pages that I follow. Hopefully it's a new bank. I would love another bonus.

dh
Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:07 am

With points earning stopping September 30th on the BOA AGR MC it's unusual that a new card with a new bank has not been announced yet. Purely speculative on my part but in the past when they changed banks (which AGR does more than any other rewards program) a new card was announced by now. Maybe I'm reading into this but I surely hope the lack of an announcement doesn't mean the AGR program could be in danger. Hopefully they will put out an email very soon with a new card announcement.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 1:27 pm

Where did you see that points earnings ends at the end of September?

With points earning stopping September 30th on the BOA AGR MC it's unusual that a new card with a new bank has not been announced yet. Purely speculative on my part but in the past when they changed banks (which AGR does more than any other rewards program) a new card was announced by now. Maybe I'm reading into this but I surely hope the lack of an announcement doesn't mean the AGR program could be in danger. Hopefully they will put out an email very soon with a new card announcement.
FrensicPic likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 3:01 pm

Amtrak Guest Rewards confirmed it when I called them inquiring about if there would be a new CC. At this time there is no announcement on a new card they told me and points earnings end September 30th they said.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Amtrak Guest Rewards confirmed it when I called them inquiring about if there would be a new CC. At this time there is no announcement on a new card they told me and points earnings end September 30th they said.
Does anyone else find it odd that here it is now September 1 and there has not been an official notice or communication from either Amtrak or BoA that points earning is ending in less than 30 days now?
FrensicPic and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Does anyone else find it odd that here it is now September 1 and there has not been an official notice or communication from either Amtrak or BoA that points earning is ending in less than 30 days now?
<waves>
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was certainly hoping to hear something today.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards, Hilton Honors
Not at all. So far that September 30 date that has been mentioned has just been something people have heard from someone else.
When Amtrak and/or BofA themselves make an announcement, I'll mark my calendar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.