Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA Rail Pass on Sale for $299 Until 6/22/2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2021, 7:22 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

First time I can recall a sale on the USA Rail Pass since the 1990s with the zone passes.

Introducing the USA Rail Pass - just $299 for a limited time.

Craving some adventure? Hop from town to town as you travel across the country. Or, just want to spend your weekends away from home? Go from downtown to out-of-town as soon as the workday ends. Whether you’re looking to discover hidden gems or just want to visit some friends in the next city over, the USA Rail Pass makes it easy to get more getaways.

Book from June 8 - 22 to get the USA Rail Pass for just $299. That’s a $200 savings off the regular price and less than $30 per segment.
Of course there is some fine print.

You have 120 days to start traveling from the date of purchase. After you start traveling you have 30 days to use the 10 segments.

Of course there must be Saver or Value fares available on that date and city pair to use the pass.

No Acela, no Auto Train, and no Canadian stations (although sadly this won't be an issue this summer.)

Other fine print to watch is the limitation on just using it as 5 round trips between the same places.

City Pairs: Travel is restricted to two roundtrips (four one-way trips) between the same two stations — as well as all intermediate destinations on the route. To book multiple trips between the same two stations, consider a multi-ride pass.
Of course, this is for coach travel only.

There are certainly some interesting you can put together especially with LD trains running daily.

More info here:
https://www.amtrak.com/tickets/departure-rail-pass.html

Last edited by Long Train Runnin; Jun 9, 2021 at 7:28 pm
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:08 pm

Rail Sail

Apparently there is a sale on the USA Rail Pass?
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Interesting deal. I like the idea of it, but you'd get more money's worth out of the long distance routes, and I don't think I could convince my wife to do that in coach after experiencing the sleeper accommodations.

Last edited by Long Train Runnin; Jun 11, 2021 at 1:33 pm Reason: Merged Threads
Old Jun 10, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA,DL
God Deal! I bought two of them.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I saw this online, a story out of my newsfeed. I think I saw all Fl-Va travel excluded. How the hell do I get out of Florida and get off before Virginia? Didn’t look possible.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 8:00 am

^ Nothing about that on the Amtrak website.

Route Restrictions: USA Rail Pass is available on all Amtrak services with the exception of:
  • Acela
  • Auto Train
  • Maple Leaf (Canadian stations only)
  • Thruway Bus Series 7000-7999
strickerj and BamaVol like this.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by dcas
^ Nothing about that on the Amtrak website.

Route Restrictions: USA Rail Pass is available on all Amtrak services with the exception of:
  • Acela
  • Auto Train
  • Maple Leaf (Canadian stations only)
  • Thruway Bus Series 7000-7999
Thanks. I couldn’t find anything either. Just a case of irresponsible reporting, I guess.
Old Jun 15, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
This reminds me that back on our honeymoon in Japan in 1999, we bought Japan Rail Shinkansen passes like this. Once we got to Japan & started trying to use the passes, it became apparent that there were so many restrictions, they were nearly unusable. We ended up buying tons of single tickets.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA, WN, BA, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Not really an amazing deal when you consider the term updates they just made to the pass starting in June. I still bought a pass knowing I have time to evaluate and get a refund in a few months if the pass doesn’t make sense for ne.

I live in NY and the fact that I can’t upfare to business or a sleeper limits me to day trips and maybe 10-12 hour max train trips. That’s my personal limit, but the mask mandate makes coach more uncomfortable that pre-covid era.
dcas likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2023, 11:02 pm

Programs: United, IHG, Hilton
This sale is back, $299 for the USA Rail Pass if purchased between Jan 10-20, 2023.
bladerunner6 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.