Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Roomettes ever on sale?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2021, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Roomettes ever on sale?

I've been looking at booking the coast starlight early next year. Prices for a Roomette haven been steady at $ 432 (oneway) since i've been checking.
Is there a chance that there will be a sale of sorts where i would be able to get a better price or looking at the past have roomette prices been the same year round?

Thank you!
Old May 26, 2021, 10:45 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
$432 is a good price for the entire route. Sometimes there is a sale where a second person traveling in a room pays no coach rail fare, with the accommodation charge paid by the first passenger, but the accommodation charge may go way up before such a sale happens again. I would grab the $432.
jeroen100 likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 11:32 am

Would like to know the date range you are seeing $432. That is a good rate, but spot checking the summer shows prices in $750-950 for 2.
Old May 26, 2021, 2:15 pm

No, sales are never run for sleeper accommodation charges. They occasionally run a BOGO sale for the rail fare so two people occupying a roomette only pay one rail fare, but the full accommodation charge, always a much larger portion of the total price, applies.

$432 appears to be the lowest yield management bucket LAX-SEA in a roomette. Buy it if you want to go, it is at the lowest price possible. It cannot go anywhere but up.
GoAmtrak and jeroen100 like this.

Last edited by zephyr17; May 26, 2021 at 2:21 pm
Old May 26, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by zephyr17
$432 appears to be the lowest yield management bucket LAX-SEA in a roomette. Buy it if you want to go, it is at the lowest price possible. It cannot go anywhere but up.
Not only will the available buckets not go anywhere but up, the buckets themselves are subject to periodic permanent increases with no notice. $432 could become $482 and that would then be the new cheapest fare.

Sleeper prices are up across the board this summer, even with daily service returning. It's a popular product and there's not enough fleet capacity to meet demand these days. If you're confident of your plans and find the lowest bucket available, grab it ASAP.
jeroen100 likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
In the past, accommodation charges occasionally went down closer to the travel date if the demand isn't strong or if they add an additional sleeper car. I noticed that the fares were very high when the date first became available, but were slightly lower a few months later. Has this policy changed with the recent fare increases? I noticed that my roomette to Flagstaff already went up $200 in past two weeks.
Old May 26, 2021, 5:45 pm

$432 is already the lowest yield management bucket SEA-LAX. There is no lower price point to go to. It is already as low as possible. It could go quite a bit higher, though. There are 4 buckets above it.

If it weren't already low bucket, I'd agree with you. Inventory reallocation across the yield management buckets happens all the time as demand develops or doesn't. But this is as low as it goes.
jeroen100 likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
Would like to know the date range you are seeing $432. That is a good rate, but spot checking the summer shows prices in $750-950 for 2.
I'm looking at march / april 2022. Price is for one BTW
Old May 27, 2021, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone! Just booked for the first weekend of April. Still a long time to go but looking forward to it
GoAmtrak, zephyr17, Armani and 1 others like this.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:38 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by zephyr17
$432 is already the lowest yield management bucket SEA-LAX. There is no lower price point to go to. It is already as low as possible. It could go quite a bit higher, though. There are 4 buckets above it.

If it weren't already low bucket, I'd agree with you. Inventory reallocation across the yield management buckets happens all the time as demand develops or doesn't. But this is as low as it goes.
Is there a way to check which bucket any particular fare is in, or what the fare for the lowest bucket is for any given route?
Armani likes this.
Old May 28, 2021, 11:56 am

Not officially. A member of discuss.amtraktrains.com has developed a chart of bucket levels for endpoint to endpoint gained through researching a lot of fare quotes over various times of year at different lead times. Since it is well known there are five bucket levels, he filled them in. He used the Amsnag tool, which could retrieve up to 30 days worth of fares at one time to help him. Recent changes to the Amtrak website disabled Amsnag, which used HTML scraping to gather data, and it is no longer available. I do not know if he will continue to maintain them without access to Amsnag, which could gather large numbers of fare quotes at a time.
Old May 28, 2021, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Back in the days of paper tickets, the fare bucket would be printed right on the ticket stub. There were also conductor's tariff books (see eBay) with the full pricing grid along a given route.
zephyr17 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.