Amtrak-- 50th anniversary

Old Apr 30, 21, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Amtrak-- 50th anniversary

Was anybody in Wilmington today for this?! It's been several months since I was last on Amtrak, but I will toast them for the next 50 years... I can just barely remember the pre-Amtrak days, taking either the Empire Builder or the other train, on the Spokane - Minnesota route. Not sure if it was Union Pacific or Great Northern.

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...n-16140840.php
When he returned to Delaware in 2017, Biden estimated to CNN that he had taken more than 8,200 round trips and had traveled more than 2 million miles on Amtrak.
Old May 1, 21, 12:05 pm

It was actually Philly and I happened to ride through on 93 while it was going on (not sure how long it lasted, it might have been just over), but couldn't stop, unfortunately. Pretty cool, though.
Old May 1, 21, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by musicalbox View Post
It was actually Philly and I happened to ride through on 93 while it was going on (not sure how long it lasted, it might have been just over), but couldn't stop, unfortunately. Pretty cool, though.
Thanks for the correction -- after reading the longer stories in today's NYT and Wash Post, I realized my error.

Still, 8,200 round-trips WAS-Wilmington is nothing to sneeze at. Of course, he had the advantage -- it was just under a 10 minute walk from the Senate office buildings to the gate at Union Station!
Old May 3, 21, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
[QUOTE=AndyPatterson;33217726]Was anybody in Wilmington today for this?! It's been several months since I was last on Amtrak, but I will toast them for the next 50 years... I can just barely remember the pre-Amtrak days, taking either the Empire Builder or the other train, on the Spokane - Minnesota route. Not sure if it was Union Pacific or Great Northern.

---
Actually it was the Great Northern which wound up as part of the BNSF--- also I watched the President's Speech on CSPAN and it didn't look like many people were there and wasn't given on an active platform.

Bob AH

Search this Thread
Search Engine: