Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page >

Amtrak Resumes Full Capacity on Acela as of May 23

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2021, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB

Source

Limiting bookings: Starting May 23, Amtrak will no longer be limiting capacity. When searching for travel, the percentage of seats sold displays next to each trip option and adjusts as passengers make reservations. This gives customers the opportunity to book a train that is less crowded. If capacity exceeds comfort levels, customers can change their ticket without incurring a fee.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globe, AA EXP, Marriott Gold
Any insight on if this applies to all cabins? My Acela F bookings through June are still showing blocked adjacent seats. Maybe they'll continue blocking F because people are eating/drinking?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by mbmd
Any insight on if this applies to all cabins? My Acela F bookings through June are still showing blocked adjacent seats. Maybe they'll continue blocking F because people are eating/drinking?
I'm told it applies to the entire train. They just haven't updated the seatmaps yet. Keep your eyes on them... last week's mods for the F cabin (going from 16 to 20 available seats) knocked me out of my seat into a less desirable one in one instance, and in another my entire trip disappeared from the website and I had to call in to have it reinstated!
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:18 pm

According to the linked page it isn't just on Acela.

I assume it will take a bit for ridership to catch up with this and it's not unexpected with the airlines already doing it but I am really going to miss the zero chance that anyone will be sitting next to me.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:54 pm

Now that Amtrak has reserved seating, could a single traveler buy 2 tickets, and thereby block the adjacent seat? It would work best to sit in the window seat, and keep the aisle seat unoccupied (blocked). Would have to explain this to the conductor who may not understand it...
Old Apr 4, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: AGR
The short answer is "no". Amtrak will sell you a second seat but will not guarantee that seat will be next to you. If you have a medical issue requiring space such as a leg injury or medical obesity you can reserve the adjacent seat for free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.