Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Some good pictures here (and a link back to accompanying article):

https://gothamist.com/news/photos/pe...n-hall?image=0
Beautiful pics! Thanks for the link.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
You're taking the statement out of context. The article does state that the subway lines are "a good distance from the new train hall," but in the context of stating that the new station is convenient only for Amtrak riders, not subway riders, for whom going through the new station to get to the subway doesn't make sense.

I'll keep repeating until I'm blue in the face: The train tracks continue to be the exact same distance from the subway as they've always been. And the new station is directly across the street from the old station. There is no reason for anyone to reconsider their subway commuting plans based on the opening of the new station.
But many Amtrak riders are subway riders? Maybe I'm reading you wrong but I'd argue differently. My Amtrak trips involve getting to the station from the 1/2/3 line. I pick up some food in the main concourse, head all the way across the station to Club Acela, and wait there for 10 minutes or so until they announce my track. It's always been a bit of a hike but with yet more distance to travel to the Metropolitan Club, if I were coming from, say 59th St (I don't, but let's say I did) and Moynihan has decent food options, I'm switching to the A/C/E now to put me in a better position to reach the new train hall. The tracks being in the same place only matter for people who go directly to the train and those aren't people to whom a new station will matter anyway.
AndyPatterson likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 2:56 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Moynihan Train Hall is pretty impressive, especially in comparison to the pit that is NYP. No shops or restaurants to speak of at this point...a Starbucks and a kiosk. Magnolia Bakery in progress but not open yet. Food Hall doesn't arrive until fall. So, I guess I'll need to grab my train food elsewhere for the time being.

The new Metropolitan Lounge is oh so nice. I had high hopes, and it exceeded my expectations. Lots of seating, and the balcony overlooking the hall will be a pleasant place to wait for a bit. Signs posted that food service is suspended due to COVID; it will be interesting to see what they offer in the future. Today, the lounge was open to all, so it was somewhat hectic. Hope that was just for today.
Mr. BoH likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Moynihan Train Hall is pretty impressive, especially in comparison to the pit that is NYP. No shops or restaurants to speak of at this point...a Starbucks and a kiosk. Magnolia Bakery in progress but not open yet. Food Hall doesn't arrive until fall. So, I guess I'll need to grab my train food elsewhere for the time being.

The new Metropolitan Lounge is oh so nice. I had high hopes, and it exceeded my expectations. Lots of seating, and the balcony overlooking the hall will be a pleasant place to wait for a bit. Signs posted that food service is suspended due to COVID; it will be interesting to see what they offer in the future. Today, the lounge was open to all, so it was somewhat hectic. Hope that was just for today.
The Metropolitan Lounge sounds fantastic! I'll be in the City next weekend and look forward to sampling the lounge myself.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
The Metropolitan lounge stairway entrance faces the end of the west end concourse and would be very convenient to the A/C/E.

With the current mid-level platform stairs convenient to the subway remaining open, Moynihan really seems like a win for Amtrak passengers (unlike LGA terminal B for example that looks nice but came with a big loss of time efficiency.)
Old Jan 1, 2021, 6:02 pm

This explains why I couldn't find any pictures or descriptions of the food vendors! I haven't seen that timetable elsewhere so thanks for sharing. Was there any food at the Met Lounge?

Here are some pictures a blogger took. They look great (it's the second tweet).
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by musicalbox
This explains why I couldn't find any pictures or descriptions of the food vendors! I haven't seen that timetable elsewhere so thanks for sharing. Was there any food at the Met Lounge?
Zero food or drink today. I'm hoping this was just because the lounge was open to the general public. I assume there will be *something* in the near future and then more post-COVID.
musicalbox likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:29 pm

Here's hoping for something like Chicago!
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:24 pm

The main attendant at the Met Lounge is as rude as ever. At least that hasn’t changed. Regulars will know who I’m talking about...the opposite of welcoming to Amtrak’s most loyal customers.
wxguy, jdawg and musicalbox like this.

Last edited by vatraveler; Jan 2, 2021 at 12:32 pm
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
The main attendant at the Met Lounge is as rude as ever. At least that hasn’t changed.
Is the Met Lounge still open to public viewing today or is it proper ticketed/select plus level only?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by theboss7593
Is the Met Lounge still open to public viewing today or is it proper ticketed/select plus level only?
Mixed bag. They are selectively policing, but there’s so many people that some just ignore and keep walking. BTW still no food and beverage offered and none allowed from outside. Dumb rule.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
The main attendant at the Met Lounge is as rude as ever. At least that hasn’t changed. Regulars will know who I’m talking about...the opposite of welcoming to Amtrak’s most loyal customers.
This is someone who had been working the front desk at Club Acela?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
This is someone who had been working the front desk at Club Acela?
Yes. And for a very long time.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Yes. And for a very long time.
I'm pretty sure I know who you mean. BTW, is the Club Acela permanently closed now?
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm pretty sure I know who you mean. BTW, is the Club Acela permanently closed now?
I assume so but didn’t go through there. I went from A Train through the West End Concourse.

I’m going to miss the lower level boarding trick. Cattle call in Moynihan. No other option.

It did seem like a majority of people on my train boarded from stairs or escalators that were not in the train hall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.